Author Topic: Trivial Fold?  (Read 7132 times)

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
Re: Trivial Fold?
« Reply #15 on: March 11, 2009, 12:55:45 PM »
... I am not too excited about 3/4 the pot bets ... beyond the fact you save 1/4 pot bet when you auto-fold ...

I like 3/4 bets when you have flopped the nuts though ...

I am going to think about this a little more ...

I hate checking here ... just giving up on the hand ... unless you hit a K

Let"s say the last to act has nothing ... then I am calling the TT raise with KK ... and the odds are 62/38 in my favour ... mmm not sure I do want to do this ... but at the time I think that I would have.

Cannot start folding KK under the gun!

Once the last to act has called trivial fold ...

L

tonyj444

« Reply #16 on: March 11, 2009, 13:35:12 PM »

Also, I was in a similar scenario with that flop in Walsall.

Both of us have approx 11k, him slightly more chips than I.

I have TJ on the BB, utg limps in, and I flat check.  Flop comes down 789 giving me the str8.  I check, he bets, i reraise over the top and then I cant recall exactly but I think he went all in there or he reraised again and I put the rest of my chips in.

He shows 77 for a set and I have the str8, 7 to J, turn comes an 8 and thats me out of the tournament.

Afterwards I gave it a great deal of thought, and maybe I shouldve just called his bet post flop rather than re-raising to see that turn card and then if the board hasnt paired, with only 1 card to go make an all in push, my thinking on this tho is there was no way he was folding his set.

What do you think on my play and what went down?  Should I have raised pre, would it have made any difference to the outcome of the hand?  Was I being over keen to call his all in?

For what it"s worth, I don"t think there"s anything wrong with your play in this hand.  You"ve got your money in as a (reasonably decent) favourite.  Given the hands, it"s pretty standard that you"ve both got it in on the flop I think.  You certainly can"t fold at any point so given that he has re-raised it has to end this way.

It has made me think about spots where there is possibly value on peeling off that extra card before commiting and I came up with the following scenario:

Same scenario as above but the limper is actually on the button (I just want to open his range up a little).  Lets say blinds are 100/200 giving a starting pot of 500 and you both have a starting stack of 10k.

Flop comes 789 rainbow and you hold JT and decide to chk-raise.  He bets 400 and you raise to 1300.  He then re-raises to 4000.  At this point the standard move is a shove from you and I don"t think anyone will fault that play.  As an exercise though lets consider another possible line. 

Assuming villain is not an idiot and is not making a move, I think it"s fair to put his range as 2Pair+.  Below calculations are very rough.

JT - Split pot (assuming no backdoor fd for either player)
98/97/87 - 4 outs - about a 5:1 dog
77/88/99 - 7.5 outs - about a 2:1 dog
T6/65 - Dead - I"m ignoring his outs 2 a split pot as T6 is a pretty unlikely limp and I"m lazy

Now I"m wondering is there any value in smooth calling here and shoving any non-7/8/9 turn?

Conversely, if the board does pair on the turn we check/shove or shove any river if he checks behind.  What I like about this is that we probably take him off JT which is a massive plus for us obviously, but whether it"s worth the possible lost value of hands that may fold here but would have got it in to a flop shove I don"t know.

Apologies that this was a bit long and rambly and I haven"t really drawn any conclusions.  I just kinda wrote stuff down as I thought about it.  I"d love to know peoples thoughts on this line or similar things though......

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 13:54:23 PM »

... I am not too excited about 3/4 the pot bets ... beyond the fact you save 1/4 pot bet when you auto-fold ...

I like 3/4 bets when you have flopped the nuts though ...

I am going to think about this a little more ...

I hate checking here ... just giving up on the hand ... unless you hit a K

Let"s say the last to act has nothing ... then I am calling the TT raise with KK ... and the odds are 62/38 in my favour ... mmm not sure I do want to do this ... but at the time I think that I would have.

Cannot start folding KK under the gun!

Once the last to act has called trivial fold ...

L

Louis if you pot bet without the nuts and 3/4 the pot with the nuts- aren"t u telling people basically what you"re holding? It"s very exploitable unless

1) You"re pot betting every flop or 3/4 betting every flop

2) Mixing your game up by varying your bets with each
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 11, 2009, 14:28:30 PM »
... I am playing a bit now ... bets are always mixed up ...

The point of the post was the "trivial fold" part ... I did bet the pot on this occasion ... I am not saying I would always bet the pot ...

Some of the feedback is you should never bet the pot ... which seems odd.

L

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2009, 14:43:26 PM »
it is because the pot bet is always seen as a protective bet - ie top pair, bottom 2, overpair on a scary board etc.

it is usually a bad bet because it folds out all hands you beat, gets action from hands that beat you and telegraphs your hand to good players. It is only good for valuetowning poor players in an obvious spot where you are good. It also means you have to bet more when you are c-betting to avoid bet sizing tells, which isn"t good.

i still think checking here isn"t terrible fwiw.
Looking forward to making my first day 2

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2009, 15:22:21 PM »
yeh I would probably check this board too
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2009, 15:59:32 PM »
... really enjoying the banter here ... for me the check here is effectively giving up on the hand ... what bet would you call ... you give the hand to the person in position or are you looking for a raise in order to re-raise ... looks very dangerous to me!

Interested in thoughts.

L

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2009, 16:29:58 PM »
a check isn"t always weakness. But it can control the pot so that if you are up against draws/combos you don"t get so deep that you can"t get away. If you give away a free card it isn"t a sin, you can get away cheap from a dangerous card or play when drawing hands have reduced equity.

bet/folding is giving up the pot, you are leading blindly into a dangerous board where the very best you can hope for is to get both players to fold really. Betting "to see where you are" is overused and overrated.

by betting you are creating a bigger pot, if you get flatted in one or two spots you are potentially in bad shape - what would be your plan for the turn if you bet the flop and got flat called - would you give up on the pot or keep firing?
Looking forward to making my first day 2

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2009, 17:08:45 PM »
"Betting "to see where you are" is overused and overrated"

I think you have to try and know where you are ...

(I will come back to the rest in a moment - 5.15pm race about to run!)

L

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2009, 19:38:21 PM »

it is because the pot bet is always seen as a protective bet - ie top pair, bottom 2, overpair on a scary board etc.

it is usually a bad bet because it folds out all hands you beat, gets action from hands that beat you and telegraphs your hand to good players. It is only good for valuetowning poor players in an obvious spot where you are good. It also means you have to bet more when you are c-betting to avoid bet sizing tells, which isn"t good.

i still think checking here isn"t terrible fwiw.

^^^^
This

a check isn"t always weakness. But it can control the pot so that if you are up against draws/combos you don"t get so deep that you can"t get away. If you give away a free card it isn"t a sin, you can get away cheap from a dangerous card or play when drawing hands have reduced equity.

bet/folding is giving up the pot, you are leading blindly into a dangerous board where the very best you can hope for is to get both players to fold really. Betting "to see where you are" is overused and overrated.

by betting you are creating a bigger pot, if you get flatted in one or two spots you are potentially in bad shape - what would be your plan for the turn if you bet the flop and got flat called - would you give up on the pot or keep firing?

^^^^^^^^
excellent stuff
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D