Author Topic: what line of play would u take?  (Read 7545 times)

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: what line of play would u take?
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2009, 21:50:59 PM »

Because utg steals are so common now

"UTG is the new button" ?

Does this mean we can no longer put UTG raisers on a range of hands?

Do you think it is correct to think we are beating UTG raisers range if we have no info on him?

In my post, I thought folding was probably too nitty but thought the standard 3-bet to 60-65K committed you to the hand v players yet to act. A 3-bet to 49K is clever in that it only commits you to the UTG raiser and the shorties.

I just have a problem risking putting myself short stacked after tangling with an UTG raiser. I think this move would be great having watched the table for a bit.

Having said that, my move (a call) is looking weaker and weaker the more I type.

Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2009, 23:03:49 PM »

You have the 4th best starting hand.  Not sure why everyone"s so keen to fold?

You say you have no reads on the UTG player - so you have to assume he has some sort of hand. 

I raise to isolate, and call a shove from UTG.

hmmmmmm how would you know what to do Dan? This is way past the end of  Level One!!   ahhhh perhaps therein lies an explanation :)

Like that is it?  Maybe I should have mentioned getting it in behind and then hitting my miracle card on the river?

;)

I don"t rely on miracle river cards Dan....... I go the whole hog and rely on perfect runner runners!!  

:D

Fair play fella!
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2009, 23:04:11 PM »

Do you think it is correct to think we are beating UTG raisers range if we have no info on him?

In my post, I thought folding was probably too nitty but thought the standard 3-bet to 60-65K committed you to the hand v players yet to act. A 3-bet to 49K is clever in that it only commits you to the UTG raiser and the shorties.

I just have a problem risking putting myself short stacked after tangling with an UTG raiser. I think this move would be great having watched the table for a bit.

Having said that, my move (a call) is looking weaker and weaker the more I type.

It wasn"t very strong to start with...
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2009, 23:23:29 PM »

being fairly deep i like to gamble now to try and win the lot or at least get a lot deeper ,at this stage i"m not shy of the odd risk.If utg has me beat i can hit a miracle 2 outer,if i lose i"m happy with 14bb/and my short stack game , one double up and i"m back to where i was..
the 3bet/my position/lack of image line for me is enough to stop most sickos [stacks that cover me]4betting and if they do,i can fold it [no probs  ::)]
i also met get everyone to fold...

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2009, 08:55:37 AM »
In last nights satellite, I got dealt Js in almost the exact same seating order, but it was fairly early in the tournament. Oh how I did laugh! Anyway, I had been playing some rubbish poker and lost more than 20% of my stack in the first 20 minutes when I was dealt these.
So EP raise, I called, put him on a big ace, and decided to see the flop. Just the two of us saw 3 low cards, and a possible flush draw. EP bet about 2/3 of the pot and I pushed. He pretty insta called ( don"t blame him, I was playing poor) and yee ha the jacks held, and put me in a good spot, was actually CL at the first break.
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2009, 11:05:56 AM »
i 3bet/get it in here.

sure we don"t need to get involved, but we have UTG covered and to win you shouldn"t wait until you need to get involved.
Looking forward to making my first day 2

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2009, 12:02:50 PM »

In last nights satellite, I got dealt Js in almost the exact same seating order, but it was fairly early in the tournament. Oh how I did laugh! Anyway, I had been playing some rubbish poker and lost more than 20% of my stack in the first 20 minutes when I was dealt these.
So EP raise, I called, put him on a big ace, and decided to see the flop. Just the two of us saw 3 low cards, and a possible flush draw. EP bet about 2/3 of the pot and I pushed. He pretty insta called ( don"t blame him, I was playing poor) and yee ha the jacks held, and put me in a good spot, was actually CL at the first break.

i hope u won a seat mikey..

JJ are tricky to play and your situation in the early stages with deeper stacks / smaller blinds does warrant just a call.
As long as you can adapt to stack sizes and the style/skill level of your opponents and be aware of your own image there are always a number of ways to approach all kinds of hands...
Like in my case with JJ if i had been at the table for a while and had reads and knew there were a loose aggressive bunch to my left who loved 3bets/squeezes then flat calling hoping for a squeeze is a definite option.

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2009, 12:22:21 PM »
No didn"t make it Noble, Final tabled in a good situation, but donked "em off badly in 2 consecutive hands, out in 9th :"(
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013