Author Topic: GUKPT MANCHESTER - Advice please  (Read 3863 times)

stevemac26

GUKPT MANCHESTER - Advice please
« on: April 13, 2009, 22:30:25 PM »
 I have qualified for main event for the above and just wanted any general advice people have - I"ve played live before but not at this kind of level and am interested on views on the general standard of play etc?

thanks in adance

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
Re: GUKPT MANCHESTER - Advice please
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 22:42:29 PM »
Nice one.

Quite a few APATers have played GUKPT events, I"m sure you will get plenty of tips.

Good Luck with it though and make sure you post how you get on.

Leigh

stevemac26

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 23:05:36 PM »
thanks Leigh

Pears27

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 23:29:57 PM »
Hi. Congratulations - I qualified for the ME at the Vic just gone. It"s a great experience whatever happens so have fun and remember you"re (nearly) freerolling...

It"s not like I went that deep so I"m not well qualified to give tips, but all I"d say is that all the same principles apply - play ABC poker in the first couple of levels and see what your table is all about. Even with a higher standard and buyin, solid players are still solid and loose maniacs will still put you all in with QTo (sorry, bad memories).

You shouldn"t feel outclassed, and remeber you"ve achieved more to get there than any pro buying in or staked.

GL

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 23:33:25 PM »

Hi. Congratulations - I qualified for the ME at the Vic just gone. It"s a great experience whatever happens so have fun and remember you"re (nearly) freerolling...

It"s not like I went that deep so I"m not well qualified to give tips, but all I"d say is that all the same principles apply - play ABC poker in the first couple of levels and see what your table is all about. Even with a higher standard and buyin, solid players are still solid and loose maniacs will still put you all in with QTo (sorry, bad memories).

You shouldn"t feel outclassed, and remeber you"ve achieved more to get there than any pro buying in or staked.

GL

Play your own game - don"t be intimidated they are just human after all

bigredders

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 00:29:41 AM »

I have qualified for main event for the above and just wanted any general advice people have - I"ve played live before but not at this kind of level and am interested on views on the general standard of play etc?

thanks in adance

If you have played an apat national i (and others) firmly believe that the GUKPT 0n the whole is of a similar standard. Of course you do get your exceptional pro"s but dont be intimidated against them. Most of them are very friendly at the table, just try and not give too much away when talking to them, the really good players can pick up tells from anything you say, or do in your everyday life! you also have to remember that there are some bad players in the tournament, the business type that are gamblers and have money to burn are the general ones!

in general the key thing is not to be intimidated, there is no need to, and mostly to enjoy it. You will regret it after if you play scared and bleed chips away, so play your normal game.

oh and if your not aware, i think on 2 or 3 occasions there have been qualifiers from the freerolls that made the final table, so anything can happen

enjoy

mark ;D

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 09:19:43 AM »
What he said.

The level isn"t streets ahead of APAT, and you will find that there are some players who are very poor as well as those who are excellent - and the lot inbetween.

Whatever you do, don"t play scared.  That"ll hamstring you from playing your "A-game".  Just enjoy yourself!
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

stevemac26

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 21:03:27 PM »
thanks for all the advice all really useful - I know I"ll be nervous first off but hopefully can play my normal game and build from there!! - I"ll let you all know how i get on - unless I go out on the 1st hour - lol !