Author Topic: Confusing Hand  (Read 10298 times)

deanp27

• Platinum Member
Re: Confusing Hand
« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2009, 15:19:57 PM »
when you called did you have a plan for when you missed? remember you only have just over a PSB left by calling so decision on flop is terminal one way or another.

you have given up the initiative in the hand, he is going to fire like 90% of his range here and you have missed.

most of the time i just give up here unless i have a soul read that i am going to follow through. (but i either jam or fold pre)
Looking forward to making my first day 2

coprey

• Gold Member
  • SkinEm
« Reply #16 on: May 05, 2009, 15:27:27 PM »
I appreciate your comments Rob and others.

All I could do was fold leaving myself with 40k.

I agree the call of the re-raise was probably fundamentally wrong.

In hindsight perhaps disguising this hand with checking the BB may have been the best move, especially against a player of this nature - slow play the aggressive player. Why go to war unless you can follow through and put your money where your mouth is, so to speak.

The guy put my mind at rest by turning his cards over when it was all done. Answers on a postcard or post here if you like.

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2009, 15:35:33 PM »
the blinds are where most players spew there chips,be it sb v bb or calling a lp raiser and being oop for the rest of the hand.
I like villains approach here as i like to limp in from the sb when only up against the bb especially if they are aggressive defenders [ego thing mostly or have a notion that they are getting bullied all the time]
If you have any history with him coprey at all in blind v blind and he has been raising every other time then i"d check and peel here.
I don"t like your raise size if you are going to fold to a re-raise , you can get the same result by making it 5000,5500 and save a bb... have a plan when you raise..
Everything indicates a big hand but i doubt it is every time,his range could be 77+ A8o+ Axs and seeming he is aggressive
KQs KJs - if i have someone to my left who i think sees monsters then this trick of posturing to look pot committed works a treat even though i know that i"ll fold to a re-raise... i do it sometimes when short stacked as well say 12bb and i std raise with total tripe ep knowing most see this as a big hand..oh and i fold if someone re-raises..
AJs in the bb is good to go as played after your raise and his re-raise there is 29000 out there , with 53000 back calling is not an option here [your stack size] so i favour a re-raise all in or fold , but as played with your read of him being aggressive -

My read is, this guy is slippery and aggressive, I want to avoid playing flops with him. I dont want to give him a chance of hitting a rag. My instinct and from what I have seen so far is that he would have raised with a strong hand. I therefore put him on a weak hand.

so go with your read and rr all in ....

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 05, 2009, 15:36:57 PM »
I think generally your raise preflop is fine. I don"t think you should let this hand put you off raising for value in this spot with position and usually the best hand.

i guess he had AA/KK or AK - but he should"t really show you if he did.

having said that he is French
Looking forward to making my first day 2

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: May 05, 2009, 15:40:55 PM »
You had to fold, and he turns over pocket Qs.
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: May 05, 2009, 15:43:04 PM »
utter crap - T7s 94o 72o etc

coprey

• Gold Member
  • SkinEm
« Reply #21 on: May 05, 2009, 15:44:31 PM »
I"ll wait for Rob to guess.

coprey

• Gold Member
  • SkinEm
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2009, 15:52:51 PM »

the blinds are where most players spew there chips,be it sb v bb or calling a lp raiser and being oop for the rest of the hand.
I like villains approach here as i like to limp in from the sb when only up against the bb especially if they are aggressive defenders [ego thing mostly or have a notion that they are getting bullied all the time]
He didnt see me aggressively defending my BB too much
If you have any history with him coprey at all in blind v blind and he has been raising every other time then i"d check and peel here.
Check and peel normally works for me against agressive players, for some reason I decided I didnt wanna play a flop with this guy
I don"t like your raise size if you are going to fold to a re-raise , you can get the same result by making it 5000,5500 and save a bb... have a plan when you raise..
Very good advice, this is what this experience has reaffirmed to me. A painful lesson is a learned lesson.
Everything indicates a big hand but i doubt it is every time,his range could be 77+ A8o+ Axs and seeming he is aggressive
KQs KJs - if i have someone to my left who i think sees monsters then this trick of posturing to look pot committed works a treat even though i know that i"ll fold to a re-raise... i do it sometimes when short stacked as well say 12bb and i std raise with total tripe ep knowing most see this as a big hand..oh and i fold if someone re-raises..
Are you talking about when you are SB v BB?
AJs in the bb is good to go as played after your raise and his re-raise there is 29000 out there , with 53000 back calling is not an option here [your stack size] so i favour a re-raise all in or fold , but as played with your read of him being aggressive -

My read is, this guy is slippery and aggressive, I want to avoid playing flops with him. I dont want to give him a chance of hitting a rag. My instinct and from what I have seen so far is that he would have raised with a strong hand. I therefore put him on a weak hand.

so go with your read and rr all in ....

I agree I had to be more decisive at this point. Many thanks for your constructive response.

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2009, 16:05:59 PM »
Are you talking about when you are SB v BB?

yep , i,m not saying villain here is doing this knowledgeably [repping a big hand by using his stack size/size of bet] to make you see monsters... i just used a short stack as an example to look pot committed but not  :) as here if i feel that my opponent can think or i"ve seen in previous plays them slowing down and getting cautious in hu situations when boards get scary then i"ll mentally note that this type of move may work..

coprey

• Gold Member
  • SkinEm
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2009, 16:20:47 PM »
So you raise on SB against weak players on BB to represent a monster. Have I understood that?

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2009, 16:36:41 PM »
no this spot he has limped rr putting in just under 1/3 of his stack - used his stack size and line of play to rep a big hand.
a lot will perceive it has a big hand.

with your initial impression that you think he will raise pre a strong hand in this spot then i think you have the best hand.
tough to say that he has adjusted his line to your image as we don"t know how he perceives you..

coprey

• Gold Member
  • SkinEm
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2009, 16:44:32 PM »

no this spot he has limped rr putting in just under 1/3 of his stack - used his stack size and line of play to rep a big hand.
a lot will perceive it has a big hand.

Ok got ya.

I guess Rob is with class. Will post hand later.

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2009, 18:23:24 PM »
If he showed, I reckon it was the worst hand
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

coprey

• Gold Member