Author Topic: Confusing Hand  (Read 10300 times)

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Confusing Hand
« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2009, 23:39:03 PM »

I was 50% right!! :D

I was 100% right  ;D

I"d have probably played it the same way as you, colin, though we both agree its probably not the best way. :(

I think one problem I have playing live is trusting my instincts and not wishing to be embarrassed at the table. As I said, I"d have shoved over his reraise pre if it was online and most times been ahead. As an inexperienced live player, I"d have been mortified if I"d overplayed my AJ (sir perceval style ;)) and run into AA.

I still think that your raise pre was fine. It is a bit result orientated to suggest that checking is the best play here. I agree with Steve (AMRN) that it is a good way to mix it up by checking and disguising your hand if you hit on the flop. However you have a good hand in position in a HU situation and most times the SB will fold.

I also like the bet size of 7k. I know noble said that raising to 5K would get you the same result and save you chips if reraised. I"m not so sure!! I like the 2.5 BB raise as an open raise but in a limped pot (admittedly from SB) the raise will get called more times by a SB limper than if you had opened from say MP. Having said that, you generally want calls from players OOP with weak hands.

I also think that your oppo played a great hand here....cheeky git!!

I"d love to know what you think your table image was for him to want to do this to you ;D

Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

coprey

• Gold Member
  • SkinEm
« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2009, 23:52:39 PM »
I think you are right about saving face with AJ. I have my rep. to protect  :D

I thought I played that hand as badly as is possible but forgive myself because I was just outplayed by a courageous lunatic(I was actually impressed).

In terms of why he picked on me. I usually have a pretty solid image at the table. I reckon he saw me as a challenge. This is perhaps his favourite move and he might try it on maybe once every tourney. I imagine it is well suited to tight solid players like myself.

I tried to chat to the guy on the break but his english was only slightly better than my french.He said he put me on a hand like AJ.  :o What can I say. Later I spoke to the TD about the hand and he told me the guy finished 3rd in the IPO 2008 (1300 plyers) so I guess that made me feel slightly better. :-\

I take this experience as a lesson to refocus on my own game, not necessarliy to pull off any crazy stunts like that. :)

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2009, 01:02:57 AM »
pre-flop
he was playing the player..if u rrai he will fold... i think if u had taken a back step from the situation,cleared your mind and thought through your initial impression of him and looked at the sizing of his bet,you would of seen through it..one for your play book [dont over use it :)]

good post
« Last Edit: May 06, 2009, 01:17:29 AM by noble1 »

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2009, 03:12:45 AM »

good post

yes, definitely one of the best hands we"ve had on this board
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #34 on: May 07, 2009, 11:06:47 AM »
Just read thru this and have one thing to chime in...against an agg player u Def want to raise from the BB in this spot to build a pot against someone capable of putting in chips dry while u r in position!!  I think as played the call of his rr is the only questionable thing but certainly not a terrible play bcos he gave u a fair price.  As played I think its a fold, but if u have seen this play from him in the SB on multiple occasions then this becomes an insta-ship and u  can expect to pick up dead £ a high % of the time.  I certainly dnt think u are ahead of his shove-calling range but if he is as agg and "slippery" as u originally thought then u may well be ahead of his limp/re-pop range.
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...