Author Topic: Monte Carlo Poker Camp With Poker Stars  (Read 3630 times)

janc

• Silver Member
Monte Carlo Poker Camp With Poker Stars
« on: May 04, 2009, 20:13:20 PM »
Ok so we arrive in Monte Carlo at around 5.30pm on Saturday after an uneventful flight from East midlands airport on a jet called Pudsey Bear which amused the wife.   
Decided to take a taxi to our hotel The Monte Carlo Bay Hotel and Resort, I think the driver was practicing for the forthcoming Grand Prix as the journey took about twenty mins, so he pulled into the hotel drive and extracted 90 euro's out of me.

The hotel looked at first glance like something out of a travel guide classy and spectacular, as we were checking in a guy came up to the receptionist next to mine and started to check in, he was the first star we saw, Umberto Brenes (scruff)
So off we go to our room on the seventh floor, into the lift we go and the first thing I noticed that there was a padded seating area in the lift, (how strange)
Well the room was again splendid with a cushioned chaise lounge on the large balcony, and a side view to the sea.
After a quick shower and change it was down to the evening reception party for the poker camp winners and partners, met at the door by one of the friendliest guys you could hope to meet called Sam Hellman who was the event manager, off to the free bar and to meet some of the other participants, there were 29 other qualifiers for the camp nine of them from the French one that was cancelled.   
The evening was also attended by the rest of the poker stars team who were going to be running the lectures all of them were Americans and included  Alex Outhred  who finished 54th in the wsop main event last year, not knowing who he was I noticed he had a crowd of onlookers hanging of he's every word as he was going through he's poker achievements. There I was thinking what a Nob, (just shows how wrong you can be about someone on first impressions as this guy was one of the best tutors I came across on the trip).
So after several introductions and  free drinks later it was decided that it was time to end the party and get an early night in preparation for the first day, (lightweights)
So Jan and I were just getting warmed up so off we go to the bar for a quick half of lager. Spoke the the nice friendly bartender and ordered drinks while talking to the wife,  gave him a twenty euro note and received six back, of course the Yorkshireman in me then pipes up "scuse me, this right? Two glasses of lager fourteen Euros?"
Yes sir the reply, OMG close to Fourteen Quid for two drinks I was so glad that we bought a bottle of Bacardi at the airport to bring out with us.
Well woke up on Sunday morning with the standard hangover at around seven am.
While drinking is not something I do a lot of, when the mood takes me I tend to just go with the flow and just enjoy myself. Something I do know is that like most people I say things that you tend to forget the next morning, until all of a sudden you think did I really ask that?
I had one of those moments while showering when you think did I say that, and did they say yes?
What I am talking about is I asked the organiser if Jan could also attend the camp, and the lectures, and was told normally this would not happen, but yes why not.
So woke Jan and it seemed she was in a worse state than me and was going to stay in bed, so off down to a breakfast where several of my new buddies were also slightly hung-over, there I was reminded that it is ok for Jan to join us, and  explained she might join us at lunch. Back to the room for ten mins before the first lesson and was surprised to see Jan showered and ready to go.
So day one first module was online v live play looking at the key differences between the two. I am not going to go into much detail about this as most of it is common sense, while this was going on listening to the guy who has played over two million hands on poker stars; the door opened and in walked Mr Greg Raymer to say I was gobsmacked would be an understatement.
Listening to this man speak on he's strategy of early tournament play was even more fascinating , especially he's game plan on the WSOP trying to win two years running, one of the clearest messages he said was how most player when getting to the championships set the goal to reach day two , and how he exploits these players. Basically your goal should be to win the tournament not reach certain stages like day one or reaching the final table, you might as well bust out in the first session as bust out on the bubble...
So lunch time arrived and after going outside with Jan for some fresh air we walked into the dining room where three large tables were set for lunch, we sat down and were joined by the big man himself, wow just feckin wow here I am in one of the fanciest hotels in Monte Carlo being served an al a carte lunch and making small talk with Greg Raymer, don't wake me up. 
After lunch it was time for middle stage strategy, how to handle the bubble and to position yourself for the final table, not just to slip into the money.
Followed by live hand analysis with the instructors dealing to the students and then discussing your plays, of course to have the man dealing was again surreal, I was unfortunate not to be involved with many hands, but to hear the opinions of these guys on the way the hands were being played was again fascinating.

Day two
First session a recap on day one and then on to final table strategy again with Greg Raymer.
After the first session of the morning while having a coffee break, down the hall strides this man with an electric toothbrush in he's hand , walks straight up to me as I was the nearest and announces "Hi I'm Daniel pleased to meet you.  OMFG what a strange introduction, after introducing himself to several others of my fellow campers it was back in to the room for the next module.

"Small ball poker by Daniel Negreanu"

This was Daniels forte and the most profitable part of he's game, explaining how he plays loads of pots in the early stage of a tournament and how as part of he's game he is so friendly to the rest of the table and how he makes people think that if there going to loose chips to anyone on the table, they would prefer to loose to him and still smile about it.
This session took us to lunch break, where again we were joined by the two pros
After a superb lunch I took some fresh air with Jan (ciggi time) then back to the classroom.
Walked in and there was one of the poker stars staff playing Chinese poker with this other guy sat at our table, taking no notice I sat in my seat and started looking at the workbook we had been using. Then Jan whispers in my ear who the other guy was, Chris Feckin Moneymaker I couldn't believe how friendly these poker stars players were, the afternoon was spent having these guys dealing to us and discussing our play

Form is temporary, but class is permanent

janc

• Silver Member
Re: Monte Carlo Poker Camp With Poker Stars
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 20:21:46 PM »
The reads these guys were getting and there powers of deduction were scary to say the least.
Last session "The maths of Poker"
The title is self explanatory
This session finished at around six pm and we had to meet in the main arena at eight thirty ready for a nine o clock start to the camp tournament. This was part of the package and had a $1,000 buy in with two places to the main event with expenses worth $20.000 each
I'm not going to go on about how it went but to cut a long story short I finished sixth when my aces & fives were beaten by aces & Queens.
Although the ending was not what I wanted the whole experience was something that I will never forget.
If you ever get the chance to do something like this especially if it's with stars don't hesitate . 
Form is temporary, but class is permanent

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2009, 20:27:46 PM »
great post, and sounds like you had a top weekend!!

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2009, 20:31:12 PM »
Top story - looks like you had a wonderful weekend - nice one

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2009, 20:32:54 PM »
Top TR
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

jacklevel06

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2009, 21:07:37 PM »
Great read Charlie. Hope you didnt learn too much or the rest of us wont stand a chance. :D
Mug punter on the horses since 1981

lukybugur

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2009, 21:13:18 PM »
Top report Charlie. If you ever wanna help out a donk with some of your lessons, you have my number :)

mike saban

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 21:44:51 PM »
Nice write up, sounds like a fantastic weekend

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2009, 23:23:09 PM »
great read, u can sense the excitement in what your reading, nice one and good luck in the future.
Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2009, 11:18:01 AM »
Sounds like you had a ball!
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013