Author Topic: What do you do ?  (Read 12362 times)

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
Re: What do you do ?
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2009, 00:45:43 AM »

its a multi way pot on a draw heavy board... i would lead if the board was less draw co ordinated, would imagine i would check fold depending on the action afterwards, early stages in a sit n go no need to go broke on a board like this

if you lead/ check call here what on earth do you do on the turn?

I am confused -- why get involved == maybe i am wrong -- fold pre - or Lets party and all in

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 00:52:17 AM »
I fold pre, dont see the point playing that marginal a hand from that position with the stacks as they are, chances are as played that somebody as hit the flop harder, kqs def in a lot of players flatting ranges pre (although it is loose against utg raise) along with a few two pair type hands and even 78s. i probably check fold depending on action as i expect to get my money in better, getting the money in on this flop is just a flat out gamble

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 02:15:01 AM »
good debate , just adding another factor would time be part of our plan of what to do here..
In terms of time....how many rounds will we get with our current stack,our stack after a cbet fails and our stack after a successful cbet.
The blinds are about to go through Mr KJo and are we waiting for AA here before we play?,also what if the blind levels are soon to increase,how long do we wait for a good situation?
Would these points influence anyones decision making here as well as the pot size...?

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 06:40:32 AM »

I fold pre, dont see the point playing that marginal a hand from that position with the stacks as they are, chances are as played that somebody as hit the flop harder, kqs def in a lot of players flatting ranges pre (although it is loose against utg raise) along with a few two pair type hands and even 78s. i probably check fold depending on action as i expect to get my money in better, getting the money in on this flop is just a flat out gamble

While this is true and a 9 handed table means that you"re even more likely to come against a hand that"s beating you.

The fact that the blinds to stack levels are like this suggests that this is a fairly fast tournament and you really don"t have the luxury of being able to wait for surefire bets.

I"d shove.

Despite Chris"s arguments, you are quite likely to have the best hand. If you don"t have the best hand then a shove might make 1 or 2 hands that beat you fold, but even more likely - if you get called by a better hand you have outs.

If you fold, pre or post flop, it"s not going to be long before you"re forced into an all in or fold pre strategy. ie You might as well make the gamble now before you"re forced to do it in a few hands time.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2009, 08:41:04 AM »

good debate , just adding another factor would time be part of our plan of what to do here..
In terms of time....how many rounds will we get with our current stack,our stack after a cbet fails and our stack after a successful cbet.
The blinds are about to go through Mr KJo and are we waiting for AA here before we play?,also what if the blind levels are soon to increase,how long do we wait for a good situation?
Would these points influence anyones decision making here as well as the pot size...?

-100% insta fold pre
-check/reevaluate and almost certainly check/fold the flop as played.
-We are not w8n for AA or a good situation at all - we are waiting for a good position.  If we had KJ in later position then we 100% raise it.  We can open a very wide range from the c/off and button and expect to take the blinds a wide % of the time or win w/ a cont bet.  From utg w/ this stack our range shud be AQ+, 1010+ and that is it, esp if the table is quite call happy.  
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2009, 08:46:27 AM »

While this is true and a 9 handed table means that you"re even more likely to come against a hand that"s beating you.

The fact that the blinds to stack levels are like this suggests that this is a fairly fast tournament and you really don"t have the luxury of being able to wait for surefire bets.

I"d shove.

Despite Chris"s arguments, you are quite likely to have the best hand. If you don"t have the best hand then a shove might make 1 or 2 hands that beat you fold, but even more likely - if you get called by a better hand you have outs.

If you fold, pre or post flop, it"s not going to be long before you"re forced into an all in or fold pre strategy. ie You might as well make the gamble now before you"re forced to do it in a few hands time.

It"s not just me then - thank god for that!!

Like most replies, I would probably have folded this preflop (although blind to stack ratio and speed of tourney may dictate otherwise), but the OP from noble asked what you would do in the spot as played...... and my point is that having raised UTG with KJo, why would you check fold having hit the flop reasonably well. A check raise is always going to get a call as the other guy will be committed- I just prefer to get my chips in first.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 08:51:22 AM by AMRN »

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 08:59:26 AM »
For me in these fast structured low stack tournaments, it is not the hands that you play but the ones that you don"t that result in success, and in this case I wouldn"t be playing KJo in EP, I would be far more likely to be playing 89 in LP. As stated earlier we are not waiting for bullets we are waiting for position!
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

bigredders

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2009, 09:28:36 AM »

its a multi way pot on a draw heavy board... i would lead if the board was less draw co ordinated, would imagine i would check fold depending on the action afterwards, early stages in a sit n go no need to go broke on a board like this

if you lead/ check call here what on earth do you do on the turn?

I am confused -- why get involved == maybe i am wrong -- fold pre - or Lets party and all in

this is only what i would do if i was in the hand, which i wouldnt be if this was me!

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2009, 15:16:25 PM »
if blinds are going up soon and were soon to be in the blinds... fold even quicker pre to try and make sure we hit the blinds before they go up and then time delay in the sb to make sure we have the button the first hand they go up ?  :D

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2009, 15:43:51 PM »
9 player table - blinds 50/100  the opponents are all a reasonable std

stack sizes pre-flop - utg 1950 - mp 1900 - cut off 2700 - button 2800

utg raises to 250 with KJo
mp calls
cut off calls
button calls

Flop ** [  jc 9d ts, , ] pot size - 1150

thoughts on how would you proceed here? i"ll post what happens next after a few replies...

HOW THE ACTION WENT -
ok utg decided to lead for 500 and only got called by mp....what do we put mp on now? before i reveal turn card..

bigredders

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2009, 17:09:10 PM »
qj off...

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2009, 17:21:26 PM »

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2009, 17:25:36 PM »
K Q, he"s got the nuts and is milking  ;)
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2009, 17:49:18 PM »
u cant put him on a specific hand here- his range is anything from the bare Q to the nuts. He may even flat with two pair to see what the turn brings.
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2009, 18:57:14 PM »
The range I put in my earlier post
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D