Author Topic: Hero call thread  (Read 13868 times)

deanp27

• Platinum Member
Re: Hero call thread
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2009, 13:36:46 PM »
lol - so if you think you are ahead you should always raise??

hmm lets fold out all hands we beat and only get called when we are crushed, winning formula
Looking forward to making my first day 2

undisputed

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2009, 13:54:44 PM »

hmm lets fold out all hands we beat and only get called when we are crushed, winning formula

with my way you. . ..

1. bet when ahead. . .  .

2. lose yourself less if you are wrong and are behind, because you have position for any river action.

3.take control, and take down a lot of pots uncontested. .  .

oh well, at least you"re way you get to show the table how you are a station who will pay them off.... wp

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2009, 14:14:25 PM »
ok i give up, i will no longer use the call button

Roscopiko

• Gold Member
  • APAT Newcastle Team Captain
    • Tilt Tilt Tilt Reload Tilt Tilt
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2009, 14:31:44 PM »

with my way you. . ..

2. lose yourself less if you are wrong and are behind, because you have position for any river action.

oh well, at least you"re way you get to show the table how you are a station who will pay them off.... wp

I cant see any flaws in this approach gg wp

CrizzyConnor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2009, 15:59:25 PM »

by raising the turn you are turning your hand into a bluff, cos you sure aren"t doing it for value. Calling is way better and raising to "find out where you are" would be pretty terrible imo.

played it fine. nh

why ? ? how is it a bluff if you think you"re ahead ? ? ? surely you bluff with the worst hand not the best ? ??  ?

isn"t the idea of poker to bet with the best hand, and pass if you think you"re behind. . . .

"CALL". . . . just means, ok, i think i"m beat, but i"m just too dumb to fold imo. . . . . put is a perfect move for all stations that adopt this approach to poker. .  . .

The point was I thought I was ahead on the turn but I wasn"t 100% certain, near enough but not totally. Bearing in mind the flop bet was a standard half pot continuation bet - it wasn"t until the turn bet that he put in his first pot sized bet. So right there based on his previous hands I think i"m almost definitely ahead, I"m still not 100% though so I decide to just call to: (1) See what the river brought and (2) See what his action was on the river as I had position like you said. When he puts in his second pot sized bet on river and comparing this to his betting patterns in previous hands at times when he was trying to buy the pot and other genuine hands where he was value betting. All that added up to me calling.

I didn"t think I was beat, but knew there was a small chance my read could be wrong. Even if my read was correct and I did raise he might"ve had a Queen or Jack of clubs with another random card & called my raise then binked a 4th club on the river. Now i"m down 2k or whatever.

So I flat call for pot control and to take my hand to showdown because I believe my hand has showdown value why on earth would I take a hand to showdown I don"t believe I can win? If you don"t believe your hand has a reasonable chance of winning you either muck it or you try and take the pot down long before showdown.

It"s not like I had Aces, Kings or Queens on a board that was almost definitely beating me yet couldn"t bear to lay them down - that"s my definition of calling station. I went to showdown with a sub par hand - would any player in their right mind do this if they didn"t believe they were ahead?
WCOAP 2009 Online Omaha Champion
WCOAP 2009 Online ME Final Tablist

mal666

• Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2009, 16:51:50 PM »

with my way you. . ..

So in Chris`s hand you raise flop or fold?

undisputed

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2009, 17:40:39 PM »

with my way you. . ..

So in Chris`s hand you raise flop or fold

fold!!

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2009, 17:42:37 PM »
so players can continuation bet you to death then, unless you have top pair???

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2009, 18:08:00 PM »
i thought it was a great play from chris. Its true that hero calls always look fishy but he went with his read, and it payed off this time.

It seems that it is a case of percentages (i.e. how often will I be ahead against this player) rather than just a plain old am I winning or not. Looking back through the hand there is evidence to read it as a possible bluff. I dont think I could have called down three barrels there though myself, so I take my hat off to you Chris.

As an aside, I think all good "hero call" threads should have some posts where people get it wrong and are calling down an oppo value betting the nuts. Lets balance it up on this thread, please?

Also, I cant agree with comments about the size of the buyin meaning you cant have hero calls. A hero call is a hero call at any level as long as you are playing within your bankroll. Hero calls with scared money defy belief IMO
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

undisputed

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2009, 18:23:40 PM »

so players can continuation bet you to death then, unless you have top pair???

yes. . .. . 4 sure. . . .prob because i am a weak passive player  ;D ;D

mal666

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2009, 18:37:51 PM »

with my way you. . ..

fold!!

Why?

undisputed

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2009, 18:53:45 PM »

with my way you. . ..

fold!!

Why? ;)

if you don"t know. . . i cant help you !!  

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2009, 19:01:37 PM »
I dont think Mal wants help, he just wants to know why you"d fold middle pair in this spot (and so do I)

Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

undisputed

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2009, 19:18:59 PM »

I dont think Mal wants help, he just wants to know why you"d fold middle pair in this spot (and so do I)

sorry, but i charge for lessons. .  . ..  ;) ;) ;)

too much info given out today 4 freeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2009, 19:35:08 PM »
Just saw this thread - I am a firm believer in raising flop/turn for info and decreasing the chances of a scare card coming and having to fold, or gettin outdrawn.  As played it is a good call, but i do think in poker, the more agg route, is often the correct one!
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...