Author Topic: Live Tourny Hand  (Read 7372 times)

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Live Tourny Hand
« on: July 08, 2009, 12:14:09 PM »
Ok so i think the way the hand played out was pretty standard but others at the table seemed to think different but ill post up to the point where i have to make the final decision,

I have AQs second to act on an 8 handed table, blinds 200 - 400 and i have just over 6k from my 5k starting stack, villain has me covered and has over double my stack. I have played a lot with the villain and play in a weekly pub game with him, i know he likes to limp a lot of hands and raise what he percieve to be bigger hands including things like Ace rag, qj, kj etc. He likes to call pre flop but doesnt re raise very often.

I raise to 1050 and it folds round to him in the cut off, he reraises me to 4500 and it folds back round to me. what do you do?

bear21

• Gold Member
  • Just Do It
Re: Live Tourny Hand
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2009, 12:18:51 PM »
As you said you play a lot with him so to me only one answer fold,
to mee he wants you to either call or go all in
yes he may have AK etc or pair but with AQ there are a lot of hands ahead off you
so take the loss

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2009, 12:27:35 PM »

Ok so i think the way the hand played out was pretty standard but others at the table seemed to think different but ill post up to the point where i have to make the final decision,

I have AQs second to act on an 8 handed table, blinds 200 - 400 and i have just over 6k from my 5k starting stack, villain has me covered and has over double my stack. I have played a lot with the villain and play in a weekly pub game with him, i know he likes to limp a lot of hands and raise what he percieve to be bigger hands including things like Ace rag, qj, kj etc. He likes to call pre flop but doesnt re raise very often.

I raise to 1050 and it folds round to him in the cut off, he reraises me to 4500 and it folds back round to me. what do you do?

Do u have any prior info on his 3-betting range?  If he is known to over-value weaker hands as said abovr then u gta move in!  Quite clearly zero fold equity but from what you say, it seemd there is a chance you have the best hand a fair % of the time.
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

lukybugur

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2009, 12:34:21 PM »
With such a raise, this is likely his way of showing that he"s willing to play for your 7k stack. For you, it"s now down to reads (size and speed of re-raise and does he seem to be sitting comfortably) and how likely you think this is one of these times he has an Arag, QJ, KJ type hand.

mal666

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2009, 12:46:53 PM »
There are only 4 hands that have you crushed 3 of wich you still have a 30 odd % chance of beating, if you fold here your leaving yourself 12 bigs and in 2 hands time your in the blinds. There is no better spot than this, get em in now.

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2009, 12:58:57 PM »
what is your table image and what stage of the tourney are you at?
Looking forward to making my first day 2

jbworldwide

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • APAT League Controller
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2009, 13:23:51 PM »

you already asked me this and I told you the correct answer :p
APAT League Controller

jbworldwide (PokerStars)

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2009, 13:41:34 PM »
Marty, although hes likely to raise up an ace rag or kj kq or middle pair type hand he wont be 3 betting light, his image of me is that i have a tight opening range. This will have been around halfway through the tourny, weve been playing for over 3 or 4 hours but as i said we also play weekly together. And yes JB just wanted to see what others thought

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2009, 14:26:19 PM »
So if he knows your starting range is tight, but he"s willing to play for your stack, he must surely have better than AJ.

Fold and find a spot where you can get your chips in first.

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2009, 14:42:08 PM »

Marty, although hes likely to raise up an ace rag or kj kq or middle pair type hand he wont be 3 betting light, his image of me is that i have a tight opening range. This will have been around halfway through the tourny, weve been playing for over 3 or 4 hours but as i said we also play weekly together. And yes JB just wanted to see what others thought

If this is a case then u gta throw it away - def include this in ur op - its a key piece of info. 

So if he knows your starting range is tight, but he"s willing to play for your stack, he must surely have better than AJ.

^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

mal666

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2009, 14:48:33 PM »

If this is a case then u gta throw it away - def include this in ur op - its a key piece of info. 

^^^^^^^^^^this^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What if he knows we know what he thinks we know, get em in now!!

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2009, 14:57:00 PM »
The fact i have no Fold Equity change ur opinion mal?

undisputed

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2009, 15:06:41 PM »

Depends. . . . ..

1. How much is the buy in and what are you playing for?

2. How many runners, are you near the money? Do u care about getting in the money/ minor placings. . .. .?

If you do, maybe pass, but if you actually want to try and win the tourney you CANNOT PASS HERE ! ! !   ;) ;)

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2009, 15:06:52 PM »
my experience of play like this in tournies like this indicates he has AQ crushed when he r/r an EP raiser but it depends upon his competance, if decent, only hope he has JJ. I presume in tournies like this the average stack is pretty shallow so i may find a fold depending on my read of the opponent and then go nuts restealing ftw.

i don"t often fold in spots like this but as described it may be correct, especially if table is tight and i can shift my stack in quite often to take blinds/antes.

You have the read so you should assign him a range of hands he 3bets you with, then pokerstove his range vs AQ, work out the math and hey presto
Looking forward to making my first day 2

mal666

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2009, 15:10:51 PM »

No.
If he showed you JJ would you call?