Author Topic: Hypothetical : ME/HORSE clash  (Read 53107 times)

Claw75

• Silver Member
Re: Hypothetical : ME/HORSE clash
« Reply #90 on: August 12, 2009, 20:19:29 PM »
Harmony"s posts have confused me. Is this an in-joke?

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #91 on: August 12, 2009, 20:28:51 PM »
Pedantic in this case is correctly used as a substantive adjective. Pedantry is a noun and its use would be grammatically wrong.

Just my humble opinion

Bainn

• Platinum Member
    • The Poker Beard
« Reply #92 on: August 12, 2009, 20:30:40 PM »
All seems quite simple to me...
  Deepstack champion S2  

Harmony26

• Bronze Member
« Reply #93 on: August 12, 2009, 20:43:51 PM »
I see your point, Duke, but it is not quite so simple as that..."Pedantry" is the act of obsessively insisting on the correct usage of something... you can BE pedentary about something.

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #94 on: August 12, 2009, 20:44:22 PM »

Wasn"t just me then
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

Bainn

• Platinum Member
    • The Poker Beard
« Reply #95 on: August 12, 2009, 20:56:24 PM »

Wasn"t just me then

Trying hanging around with the in crowd and you will not be left out dude !
  Deepstack champion S2  

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #96 on: August 12, 2009, 20:57:17 PM »

I see your point, Duke, but it is not quite so simple as that..."Pedantry" is the act of obsessively insisting on the correct usage of something... you can BE pedentary about something.

Well I"ve never heard of its use in that manner, and I am quite a pedant. Even if you are right, which I doubt, the use of pedantic in the sentence you queried would still be correct.
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #97 on: August 12, 2009, 20:59:47 PM »

This thread contains a question that is actually pretty important - hope the fanatical attenion to grammar doesn"t make the thread unreadable and therefore lose the original question.

1. Is Multi Tabling allowed? and if so, will the two tourneys be run in the same vicinity (bit of a pain if people are running from one end of DTD to the other, and will upset all those playing in-between)

2. If not allowed, will thought be given to pushing back the start of the HORSE tourney for an hour to allow the usual flurry of early exits from day 2 of the Main Event to sort themselves out?

3. With respect to any sale, given that there are so many people hoping to pick up available HORSE tickets, will there be a structured sale with a waiting list, rather than a "best mates first" or "buy you a pint" appoach - both of which go against APAT ethos?

I have no worry about point 3 as I have tickets for both tourneys.... however I do hope that points 1 and 2 will be relevant for me.

1)  Yes, multitabling will be allowed and we will encourage the tournaments to be played in the same area of the cardroom for live update purposes, but that is under the responsibility of Dusk Till Dawn and is not something the players will be able to influence.

3)  APAT has no control over how players may want to sell seats that they have purchased.  As long as the seats are sold to a member at face value, we could not expect to influence who they are sold to.  If a player cancels directly with APAT on Sunday morning, then we will of course ensure the seats are sold to the first player on the reserve list.

We are trying to deal with some important matters of grammar here and you keep popping in with your poker-related items. Could you please find a more appropriate thread to discuss your issues?
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

Harmony26

• Bronze Member
« Reply #98 on: August 12, 2009, 21:00:58 PM »

Well I"ve never heard of its use in that manner, and I am quite a pedant. Even if you are right, which I doubt, the use of pedantic in the sentence you queried would still be correct.

Fair enough. Your view and I respect that. But I am not wrong - so do not doubt me. You can also use the word "pedantry" in that same sentence.

Bainn

• Platinum Member
    • The Poker Beard
« Reply #99 on: August 12, 2009, 21:06:31 PM »

This thread contains a question that is actually pretty important - hope the fanatical attenion to grammar doesn"t make the thread unreadable and therefore lose the original question.

1. Is Multi Tabling allowed? and if so, will the two tourneys be run in the same vicinity (bit of a pain if people are running from one end of DTD to the other, and will upset all those playing in-between)

2. If not allowed, will thought be given to pushing back the start of the HORSE tourney for an hour to allow the usual flurry of early exits from day 2 of the Main Event to sort themselves out?

3. With respect to any sale, given that there are so many people hoping to pick up available HORSE tickets, will there be a structured sale with a waiting list, rather than a "best mates first" or "buy you a pint" appoach - both of which go against APAT ethos?

I have no worry about point 3 as I have tickets for both tourneys.... however I do hope that points 1 and 2 will be relevant for me.

1)  Yes, multitabling will be allowed and we will encourage the tournaments to be played in the same area of the cardroom for live update purposes, but that is under the responsibility of Dusk Till Dawn and is not something the players will be able to influence.

3)  APAT has no control over how players may want to sell seats that they have purchased.  As long as the seats are sold to a member at face value, we could not expect to influence who they are sold to.  If a player cancels directly with APAT on Sunday morning, then we will of course ensure the seats are sold to the first player on the reserve list.

We are trying to deal with some important matters of grammar here and you keep popping in with your poker-related items. Could you please find a more appropriate thread to discuss your issues?

+1

(Highly likely to be the first and last time I agree with him.)
  Deepstack champion S2  

Bainn

• Platinum Member
    • The Poker Beard
« Reply #100 on: August 12, 2009, 21:13:19 PM »
Harmony, suggest Thesauri at dawn to "MinTrav" to settle this matter of honour.
  Deepstack champion S2  

Harmony26

• Bronze Member
« Reply #101 on: August 12, 2009, 21:28:07 PM »

Harmony, suggest Thesauri at dawn to "MinTrav" to settle this matter of honour.

LOL

Claw75

• Silver Member
« Reply #102 on: August 12, 2009, 22:03:51 PM »

Fair enough. Your view and I respect that. But

I am not wrong - so do not doubt me. You can also use the word "pedantry" in that same sentence.

Not with the words "to be" in front of it though, and you didn"t highlight those. Damn I feel like a pedant now!

Bainn

• Platinum Member
    • The Poker Beard
« Reply #103 on: August 12, 2009, 22:23:28 PM »

Sigh.

An "Apostrophe", not a "Comma".

You see, standards ARE slipping.

It is an apostrophe, not a comma, but both are incorrect. PA"s is possessive, as in my PA"s typing error.
PAs is simply a plural. If you wish to be pedantic (and who doesn"t?), you could argue for abbreviation points after the P and the A, but the more informal PA is in common usage and reads better.

worst grammar-correcting post ever  ;D

(is my hyphen ok there?)
Yes

Isn"t the correct word to use here  "pedantry"?

Em..........no!

Do you really mean "Em" -

"An em is a unit of measurement in the field of typography, equal to the point size of the current font."

Or did you mean "Erm" ? ?

MinTrav, you have not answered my query.
  Deepstack champion S2  

Harmony26

• Bronze Member
« Reply #104 on: August 12, 2009, 22:32:40 PM »

Fair enough. Your view and I respect that. But

I am not wrong - so do not doubt me. You can also use the word "pedantry" in that same sentence.

Not with the words "to be" in front of it though, and you didn"t highlight those. Damn I feel like a pedant now!

LOL  Read the thread.  You can "be pedantry" therefore you can say "if you want to be pedantry".