Author Topic: Call or Fold?  (Read 5295 times)

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
Call or Fold?
« on: October 11, 2009, 10:04:23 AM »
Starting Position

NL Texas Hold'em $50 Buy-in + $5 Entry Fee, Level:10 Blinds(400/800-50 ante) - Saturday, October 10, 20:46:29 GMT 2009
B.O.S.S. $100k SHUTTLE 10 SEATS GTD SAT#284692 - playing for a $1000 seat.
Table 1 9-max (Real Money)
Seat 2 is the button
Total number of active players : 9
Seat 1: REPTFISH ( 3,263.50 )
Seat 2: Honeybadg ( 6,134 )
Seat 3: HowUrMom ( 3,975.50 )
Seat 4: REDM1ST ( 2,901 )
Seat 5: thenuts00 ( 5,189 )
Seat 6: Doobs ( 9,061 )
Seat 7: MonacoTer ( 7,873 )
Seat 8: xcuseme ( 9,840.25 )
Seat 9: judders ( 3,357.50 )
Tourney Level:10 Blinds(400/800-50 ante)

Dealt to Honeybadg [ Qd, Qs ] on the button.

Seat 5 - UTG - All in
Seat 6 - All in
Seat 9 - All in
Seat 1 - All in

Despite fast structure tournament playing fairly "normally" ... all in pushes not looked up except with strong hands.

I am currently middle of the pack.

c30 Runners left for 10 Seats - do you call?

L
« Last Edit: October 11, 2009, 10:25:36 AM by Honeybadg »

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
Re: Call or Fold?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009, 11:38:40 AM »
Fairly awful looking spot!!  Obv this is normally an insta-fold but w/ an m of 3.7ish Im prob putting it in here and hoping for the best.  If there wer under 20 in the field then it seems like you cud prob find a fold but w/ 30 there is still some work to do.  With so many short stacks, its likely u will get multiple callers wen u open, and the fact tht ur stack means u have to open shove ne reasonable hands means QQ is v likely to b ur best spot.

Still.........ugly spot!
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009, 14:10:06 PM »
a VERY reluctant call based on the structure.

Fairly awful looking spot!!  Obv this is normally an insta-fold but w/ an m of 3.7ish Im prob putting it in here and hoping for the best.  If there wer under 20 in the field then it seems like you cud prob find a fold but w/ 30 there is still some work to do.  With so many short stacks, its likely u will get multiple callers wen u open, and the fact tht ur stack means u have to open shove ne reasonable hands means QQ is v likely to b ur best spot.

Still.........ugly spot!

agree with this.

Also, you will probably lose the main pot but are most often favourite in the side pot, so you"ll be back to square one in most instances, massive chippy in a few and out in a few more in the ratio at a guess of 50% : 20% : 30 %
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

cincicrappykid

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009, 14:57:02 PM »
wot did he ave ace 4 ?
GOLD NATIONAL ONLINE TEAM C/SHIP 09/10.  S1& 7 BCPC CHAMP/H/O Champ. BRONZE WCOAP 7 Card Stud 2009. BRONZE Scotish Online Omaha  2010 BRONZE Northern European NL  2010. APAT NATIONAL PUB CHAMPION 2011 SCOTTISH OMAHA  GOLD 2012. ECOAP SILVER WCOAP GOLD England Team 2013  National Online Champion 2013

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2009, 18:01:21 PM »
Horrible spot.

Your probay up against at least an AK and a AQ and probably 2 players hold under pairs but a good chance of KK or AA in one of them. I take it is a super turbo type tourney with 1min blinds?

If i"m not in the BB then I"m folding. At best I"m putting myself on no more than 25% to 35% chance to win but even with the odds to call I don"t think I can do it.

Even in this fast structure you have a couple of more hands to play. Ven though you have an M of 3.5 or so (withbtge blinds going up fast) your opponnts are in the same position as you  

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 18:09:17 PM »

Horrible spot.

Your probay up against at least an AK and a AQ and probably 2 players hold under pairs but a good chance of KK or AA in one of them. I take it is a super turbo type tourney with 1min blinds?

If i"m not in the BB then I"m folding. At best I"m putting myself on no more than 25% to 35% chance to win but even with the odds to call I don"t think I can do it.

Even in this fast structure you have a couple of more hands to play. Ven though you have an M of 3.5 or so (withbtge blinds going up fast) your opponnts are in the same position as you  

5 mins levels - I will post what happened later ...

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2009, 19:43:45 PM »

how can you not call? you are getting massive value with the third best starting hand, and even if someone has AA/KK, you are still priced in to the race..... and as pointed out further up the thread, so long as it"s a short stack that holds AA/KK, you still have insurance in the side pot.

if you fold here, you are probably going to end up having to get into a race with a hand much worse than QQ before long!!

Call.

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2009, 00:38:54 AM »
... in the cold light of day it is a call ... for the reasons stated ... in my 14 seconds ... I reasoned the following ... I would be up against one KK or AA ... there might be an AQ which is horrid news if with KK or AA ...

Here were the hands ...

UTG : AT
Doobs : JJ
Judders : AA
Reptfish : TT

The AA held ... and my QQ would have (assuming the same flop) would have spiked the Q ... ARGH ... ticket won ...
If the AA held I would be up to 8250 ... no material chance in my position in the tournament.

With the hands as above ... QQ basic 18.6% chance to win ... so not straighforwadedly priced in ... it depends who has the AA or KK (assuming it is there)

My first two votes from my home game were 1-1 on call or fold.

I am for calling now ...

... what other hands would you call with in that spot?

Cheers for the feedback ...

L

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2009, 08:20:32 AM »

... what other hands would you call with in that spot?

Now that"s an interesting question - clearly any premium hand should be calling for value (for the reasons I suggested above) but given that we don"t have anywhere near enough chips to qualify, and a significant improvement to the stack is required, the value in the pot now may entice me to call with any suited connectors.

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2009, 09:20:24 AM »
... suited connectors!?!

A straight forward double up - would have put me in a qualifying position ...

L

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2009, 22:13:52 PM »
ok point taken - you dont need the quadruple up to qualify.....   in a normal MTT my point would apply (I think)

UKChamp

• Silver Member
  • Yesterdays hero
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2009, 08:55:41 AM »
with 30 left and the structure there is, you have to call
not sure i take the same line with 18 remaining...

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2009, 23:43:01 PM »

ok point taken - you dont need the quadruple up to qualify.....   in a normal MTT my point would apply (I think)

In normal MTT tournament - yes auto call - unless I really needed to scrape to the money.