Author Topic: Cash Game Hand  (Read 11882 times)

lukybugur

• Platinum Member
Re: Cash Game Hand
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2009, 10:47:04 AM »

Does this change at all if you are sure that the "big straddle" will push with any flop? (Well maybe not the one he hits hard).

In this example, I assume you play AK "to see a flop". If an A or K appears, you"d call his c-bet shove. Not too terrible given the circumstances. As it plays, no A or K so easy fold.

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2009, 11:22:49 AM »
... interesting ... I don"t think it is an easy fold ... given raise to £63 could be a pure squeeze play ... and a good one.

Now £110 to call and win a further £268 ...

I would have been more worried about a check to be honest.

It does all scream that I should have re-raised pre flop (as discussed) ... but now I think this is tricky ...

L

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: November 08, 2009, 14:46:42 PM »
not sure you could play AK worse so far tbh
Looking forward to making my first day 2

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: November 08, 2009, 15:23:34 PM »

Smile ... but the standard play just gets you into a massive flip ... I was looking for the answer as to how you avoid this (I think) ... and the answer is re-raise pre flop ...

Anyway ... as if to stress how badly I played ... I called the all in bet of £110 ...

AK into Q86 vs 99 ... I thought it quite likely he had AK too or AJ ... or anything to squeeze with ...

Of course I hit the K ... which is pretty sick ...

Interestingly there was a very similar hand earlier in the night (vs different player) ... where I called the auto push and we were still AK vs AQ both unhit ... AK held up ...

The concensus is and was that this was played badly ... however ten handed on a potentially tricky table I am not mad for getting £650 in the middle with Aks ... to the slowed played KK or AA cooler.

Anyway : cheers for the feedback : Cash game repair kit always handy.

L

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: November 08, 2009, 16:35:07 PM »

but the standard play just gets you into a massive flip

It is actually better than a flip because small pairs that you would be flipping with are more likely to fold preflop, so that only leaves JJ and QQ who are possibly wanting to take you on.

I"m no cash game player, but my understanding is that playing flips (when you have plenty invested already) is profitable long term. You can always reload if you get called and miss, but AK is a massive preflop hand, so you need to get as much money in there.
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2009, 16:36:07 PM »

I"m no cash game player, but....

LOL, that should be the end of my involvement in this thread 8)
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

hi_am_chris

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2009, 17:16:58 PM »
dont really like the limp unless your expecting someone to pop it up with a weaker hand and your then going to repop, the guy has under a 100 bb"s and with money in the pot i think you have to repop once youve limped, as rob said with money in the pot already racing in this situation is going to be pofitable and surely some of the time hes going to be raising up with non paired hands

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: November 08, 2009, 23:19:37 PM »
this is a cash game

trying to avoid flips with dead money in there and fold equity means you are playing above your comfort zone, because pushing is definitely +EV the way this has been played out. Folding is better than calling the £63 preflop. no reason to think the other players are strong enough to call off their stack, so just jam and get it HU

plus there is a distinct possibility he could have AQ etc.

as played he is shoving a huge part of his range on the flop as he has a PSB left, you have left yourself guessing

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2009, 04:05:43 AM »
you"ve misplayed this on every street
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2009, 08:29:05 AM »

Okay : let me re-frame the question - how do you avoid massive pot flips in a game full of straddles?

L

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2009, 09:01:43 AM »

Okay : let me re-frame the question - how do you avoid massive pot flips in a game full of straddles?

L

imo u dnt when thr is this much dead money in there u happily get it in - u rnt always gng to b flipping - sumtimes ur just gng 2 get it in against AQ AJ, etc!  Esp if ur gng to put ur chips in on a Q high flop neway - u may as well put em in pre wen thrs plenty of £ in thr and u have fold equity!
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2009, 09:14:42 AM »

L

leave the table and watch TV, that is all

bigredders

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2009, 11:19:05 AM »

this and this....
if you think he is squeezing why on earth would you not want to raise??? you flatting to hit where you have a 2 in 3 chance of not doing so... now you put yourself in a world of pain calling a c-bet where you have no idea of the hand or the range he is on. You are contradicting yourself a lot in your write up of the hand. Although i hate the limp pre-flop with hands like this in cash games (unless a high% of the time there is going to be a raise to punish the limpers) a re raise after the limp looks such a strong play, theres such a small range of hands he can call with.

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2009, 12:05:54 PM »
just read through this thread for first time - seems to me that you set yourself up for a fall with the weak limp preflop. by then flat calling the squeeze raise, you just gave away the position you held over the raiser too.  In a pot with small and big straddles, I"m more than happy to take the blinds and straddles with a preflop raise... or a c-bet if necessary. Never ever limping here - not in low stakes, higher stakes, or tourney.  AK isn"t a hand to trap with - it will miss the flop far too often, yet you played it like a cheeky AA trap play.

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2009, 12:14:00 PM »
i actually don"t mind the limp if you are then going to get it in once sombody has squeezed the action