Author Topic: An interesting situation...  (Read 6896 times)

RioRodent

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • https://photos.app.goo.gl/VFDZrGk6jgyCUzRB2
An interesting situation...
« on: October 08, 2007, 11:14:27 AM »
Bubble time (8 left) on the final table of an APAT Regional tournament.
You are second sh/stack with appx 9000.
The sh/stack has 5500 and is sitting on your immediate right.
Blinds are 2000/4000.
You have 2000 invested (with 7000 behind), in the SB with  kh ks

First 3 players fold.
Next player, the chip leader, limps in... You consider this player to be very competent.
Next player folds.
And the sh/stack moves in on the button, for 5500.

The BB will only have to call 1500 and has enough chips that you expect him to at least call with any two cards.

What do you do?
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

nosey-p

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: An interesting situation...
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2007, 11:37:32 AM »
GO ALL IN

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2007, 12:16:00 PM »
GO ALL IN

BB will surely not wait for the next hand when he will not be able to make SB and will go allin too. Chip leader will surely also call

If chip leader wins hand, you get paid
If you win, you get paid
If BB calls and wins, you get paid
If BB calls and button wins you get paid.

The only scenarios of not getting paid is if BB folds (unlikely) and you lose both the Main and side pot. Or if BB calls and splits the main pot with the button and you lose the side pot to the Chip leader. This could of course happen if BB and button have AQ, chip leader has AJ and board comes A X X X X. That would be extremely unlucky as well as unlikely

I can see a few players folding here. There was a similar scenario on PP magazine when 4 players were playing for 3 WSOP seats. The correct answer was go allin then too. I went for a fold then and sent it in but was wrong (again).

I know there are situations in satelites when folding AA (or KK in this case) preflop is a correct decision but this is not one of them, IS IT.

Great question btw. What happened?

Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

RioRodent

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2007, 12:28:58 PM »

GO ALL IN

BB will surely not wait for the next hand when he will not be able to make SB and will go allin too. Chip leader will surely also call

If you win, you get paid

The only scenarios of not getting paid is if BB folds (unlikely) and you lose both the Main and side pot. Or if BB calls and splits the main pot with the button and you lose the side pot to the Chip leader. This could of course happen if BB and button have AQ, chip leader has AJ and board comes A X X X X. That would be extremely unlucky as well as unlikely

I can see a few players folding here. There was a similar scenario on PP magazine when 4 players were playing for 3 WSOP seats. The correct answer was go allin then too. I went for a fold then and sent it in but was wrong (again).

I know there are situations in satelites when folding AA (or KK in this case) preflop is a correct decision but this is not one of them, IS IT.

I think you misread something... the BB has plenty of chips and has no need to get involved in a big pot.

The only really short stacks are are the button - he"s already pushed - and me. Perhaps I should have said that the sh/stack (button) has been folding for England. A couple of hands earlier it folded to him in the SB and he folded to me in the BB. So he has obviously been waiting patiently for a hand.

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2007, 12:56:50 PM »

GO ALL IN

Wayne, I cannot tell you how tempting it is to post here about slow playing AJ with a short stack against the aggresive big stack during bubble time.

But as promise is a promise so I won"t say a word...........

Buck Pete

• Bronze Member
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 13:00:32 PM »
Smooth call the Short stack"s push which still leaves you with chips.

Expect the big stack and BB to complete the 5,500.

Check the hand down and pray to god the Short stack doesn"t triple up.

Phil_Crozier

• Silver Member
  • Knowledge Is The Bomb
    • www.easymoneyimthebigwinner.com
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 13:07:19 PM »
Re-Raise All In or Fold

You have been waiting for a hand and theres no way you can really fold KK with over 1/5 of your stack in, chances are shorter stack has a smaller pair probably 88-QQ and most scenarios see you getting a seat so i would shove and hope for the best.

Personally i don"t think you can call because that gives the larger stacks a chance to flop an ace or 2 pair cheap-ish and force you to put your money in behind on the flop.

Fold

nosey-p

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2007, 13:10:31 PM »

GO ALL IN

Wayne, I cannot tell you how tempting it is to post here about slow playing AJ with a short stack against the aggresive big stack during bubble time.

But as promise is a promise so I won"t say a word...........

Thanks for not mention it. By the way how did you do?

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2007, 14:11:41 PM »

GO ALL IN

If you win, you get paid

I think you misread something... the BB has plenty of chips and has no need to get involved in a big pot.

The only really short stacks are are the button - he"s already pushed - and me. Perhaps I should have said that the sh/stack (button) has been folding for England. A couple of hands earlier it folded to him in the SB and he folded to me in the BB. So he has obviously been waiting patiently for a hand.

I DID misread it. whoops.

Still allin, but cant be bothered to put analysis down this time. Folding is probably an option now. what happened?
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

Ironside

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2007, 14:28:07 PM »
as the event had cash prizes as well as seats it means you have to push all in to get chips

your there to win the money aswell as the seat

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2007, 15:55:09 PM »
No other move, defo all in
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2007, 18:05:56 PM »
Personally -- I would move all in

Bigfella42

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
  • Vague memories of being in Vegas
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2007, 18:45:27 PM »
Based on:

" You are second sh/stack with appx 9000" and with 2k invested I think it"s deffo all in. If you were chip leader with enough chips to fold your way to a seat there would even be an argument for folding aces, but in this situation you"ve got 7k left with 6k going in on the next orbit, so you"ve gotta go for it imo.
APAT Scotland runner up 2008
APAT Sotland final table 2009
If it's not in Scotland you can forget it!

Dewi_cool

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2007, 19:16:58 PM »
fold ;D
Ex Captain Team 'Cymru'

RioRodent

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2007, 19:39:18 PM »

as the event had cash prizes as well as seats it means you have to push all in to get chips

your there to win the money aswell as the seat

Well, rightly or wrongly I was playing a "satellite"... prime objective was to win a seat.

Re-Raise All In or Fold

You have been waiting for a hand and theres no way you can really fold KK with over 1/5 of your stack in, chances are shorter stack has a smaller pair probably 88-QQ and most scenarios see you getting a seat so i would shove and hope for the best.

Personally i don"t think you can call because that gives the larger stacks a chance to flop an ace or 2 pair cheap-ish and force you to put your money in behind on the flop.

No, as stated above at this point I playing this as a satellite... I haven"t been waiting for a hand - I have been waiting for shorty to either bust-out or double-up.

So here is my thinking...

The sh/stack has been incredibly patient, as I said the previous hand he folded his SB when all had folded round to him.

He has now decided to push just after the blinds have passed, when he has 5 more free hands to look at, add to that the fact that he must know that the BB and the limper are bound to call, and I have to assume he has a pretty decent hand.

Whilst there is only one hand I"m already behind to, AA, I reckon that about 50% of the time I"m up aginst Ax and firmly in the hand of the poker gods!

Then there is the ch/leader"s limp... I think this is either a small-mid pair or suited connectors. I think there is a chance that he could call my all-in with either hand.

And the BB is still sat watching quietly... he could have anything.

• So I have ruled out pushing all-in.

I am very close to folding and leaving the BB and limper to call and check it down, and hope that one of them beats shorty and bursts the bubble. If it had been a true "equal payout" satellite I may have folded without too much hesitation.

With the added lure of the increased money (and the points & medals of course!), I decide to find a reason to call.

Fortunately the all-in was less than a full raise so did not open up the action for the limper. In an attempt to try and get some sort of a read on his intentions, I decide to ask him some questions, the exchange was something like;

Me: "Well obviously you"re going to call... I wonder if this is going to cost me the rest of my chips on the flop?"
Him: (Shrugging his shoulders) "If you"ve got a hand call, I"m not that strong."

Without using the words he was virtually telling me that he would be happy to check it down, and since I probably had the best hand I did in fact call.

So, max 4 points for Buck Pete for choosing CALL... he thinks like me so obviously playing on a higher plane than the rest of you.

3 points to Dewi for a staightforward FOLD.

1 points for all (most) of those who want to go ALL-IN.

0 points for Ironside because.... well, just because!! :)

Coming soon... what to do on the flop?