Author Topic: Online WCOAP 2009 - Updates Here  (Read 62082 times)

Logie66

• Gold Member
  • The Digicel Girls !
    • Logie On Tour Website
Re: Online WCOAP 2009 - Updates Here
« Reply #195 on: December 14, 2009, 13:40:52 PM »
Well played to everyone and congratulations to Tod on the win and Brian on the Online Rankings success.

This BCPC lot are a tough lot to beat !! Awesome season for you all !!
North London Poker Club
APAT Caribbean Poker Club
APAT South African Poker Club

http://www.logieontour.co.uk

Ant1966

• Gold Member
« Reply #196 on: December 14, 2009, 19:15:11 PM »
Well played Brian and Alan........

Nice one Todd mate,chuffed for you.Hope it eases the pain of finishing second in Feb!
"That's when you know your'e running bad,when Ant one outers you on the river". Brendan Byrne-Dublin 2010.

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #197 on: December 14, 2009, 20:24:06 PM »

Well, that was different.

Good luck to everyone left playing (which is most of you).

Once it"s done, I would be really interested to know where the skill element of the game is.  It seemed to be a case of whoever gets the best cards wins, which sounds a daft thing to say, but it"s very tricky to bluff or get reads on players hands due to the limit side of it.

The chat on my table seemed to suggest there was little skill in this, or maybe as the fish on the table, I just don"t get it.   ;D

Anyway, if anyone fancies starting a thread in the strategy board to explain Limit Stud poker, I would most certainly give it a read.

Good Luck All.    ;D

Looks like its a shame I missed this one. There"s an awful lot more skill involved in playing stud than most newbies believe. Like Hold'em, starting hands, table position (relative to the bring-in) and understanding the mindset of your opponents are very important. However, as you don"t have the option of shoving all in, you have to try and think how a hand could potentially develop on later streets to avoid getting yourself into trouble. Anyone who routinely calls to seventh street without being 100% certain they are ahead will be a consistantly be a loser. 
  I don"t pretend to be a particularly good stud player, but I have spent an awful lot of time playing both stud hi and hi/lo cash tables over the last 18 months and regard myself as competent. Unless you"re an experienced stud hi player, avoid hi/lo like the plague. If you do fancy giving stud hi a go, you could do worse than read the following:

1) Always pay attention to the cards that have been dealt face-up even after an opponent has folded. Remembering what cards have gone is an integral part of stud.
2) Table position is hugely important. The lowest "up" card posts the bring in and if therefore is effectively dead money. If the bring in is immediately to your left and everyone folds to you, you must raise.
3) Likewise, the less people there are to act behind you, the greater freedom you have to get creative.
4) Large pairs are all very well, but you must be prepared to ditch them. As a general rule, if you start with a pair and your hand hasn"t improved by fifth street, its normally time to bail out.
5) Stud is a game where the winning hands are biggies much more frequently than in hold"em. Flushes are common and it can be profitable to chase them, but with a couple of provisos (a) If you want to chase a flush, look for starting hands that have the potential to turn into something else i.e three high connected cards of the same suit are considerably stronger than three scattered lower cards. If your starting hand contains three (or even two sometimes) of the same suit, take a look at how many upcards there are of that same suit. If you can see more than 2 of the same suit as you"re after, don"t even go to 4th street if the flush is your best chance of glory. As mentioned in point 1, keep an eye on what cards have been exposed as, obviously, the more of "your" suit that"s gone, the less chance you have of connecting.      
6) The same applies to having 3 connected cards and playing for the straight. Keep an eye on how many of your outs are still live.
7) Its very rarely a good idea to slow play any hand in stud, but one situation this can prove profitable is if you are dealt three of a kind - generally known as rolled-up trips. It can often work to your advantage to simply call on early streets, then reraise for all you are worth later in the hand after the bets have doubled and some of your opponents may feel they are pot committed.
8) If you get to 7th street and you"re not certain you are ahead, I would strongly advocate folding to any bet unless you"ve convinced your opponent is a complete villain or trying to represent a hand you know he can"t have. If you routinely call "just in case" you may occasionally be pleasantly surprised, but this will be more than outweighed than the occasions when you really are behind.
9) If you are new to the game and feel like a bit of cash play, please PM me to let me know which table you are playing on  ;)        
« Last Edit: December 14, 2009, 20:28:48 PM by monkeyman »
Currently tearing the Ipoker anonymous tables a new one

WASP

• Silver Member
« Reply #198 on: December 14, 2009, 20:53:57 PM »
Well done Brian, awesome results throughout the year and much deserved.

I got off to a flyer and was coasting until I was moved Owstonfish"s table  ;)
Rear of the year 1991
Pipe smoker of the year 1998

BOINGBLITZ

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #199 on: December 15, 2009, 00:50:57 AM »
Thanx to everyone for your kind words....much appreciated, as always.
LATVIAN O/L CHAMPION 2008.
WELSH O/L CHAMPION 2009
IRISH AMATEUR CHAMPION 2009, in memory of Bill Young
WELSH O/L PLO CHAMPION 2013
Bronze medalist 2009 & Captain 2010 ENGLAND team.
CAPTAIN 4-TIME O/L CHAMPS WALSALL / WEST MIDLANDS.
No.1 ranked Online 2009.
R-up Sth Euro O/L PLO 2010
3rd Pu

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #200 on: December 15, 2009, 17:27:40 PM »
Wow only just caught up with the forum since the weekend. Top result for the rankings Brian!!  And also to Tod for the win.  Congratz both.

BCPC FTW!!

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #201 on: December 15, 2009, 19:20:42 PM »

...Anyone who routinely calls to seventh street without being 100% certain they are ahead will be a consistantly be a loser. 

The problem I think Leigh was alluding to was that when you have 3 or 4 players who will routinely call to 7th then it becomes a game of just catching the cards until those players bust out. A made hand against a draw is a standard stud scenario but a made hand against 2 or 3 players, or a draw against 2 or 3 players favours them rather than you - however well you are playing.

They will bust out - 2 or 3 players against the rest of the table will favour the rest of the table - but you won"t necessarily be one of the players to benefit. You"re just as likely to be knocked out - that"s why the number of calling stations can be so frustrating.

8) If you get to 7th street and you"re not certain you are ahead, I would strongly advocate folding to any bet unless you"ve convinced your opponent is a complete villain or trying to represent a hand you know he can"t have. If you routinely call "just in case" you may occasionally be pleasantly surprised, but this will be more than outweighed than the occasions when you really are behind.

That"s just wrong - you shouldn"t get to 7th in that situation, if you get to 7th you should almost always call.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

monkeyman

• Platinum Member
« Reply #202 on: December 16, 2009, 20:46:18 PM »

That"s just wrong - you shouldn"t get to 7th in that situation, if you get to 7th you should almost always call.
[/quote]

You"re right in suggesting that you really shouldn"t get as far as 7th street without knowing where you stand but it happens. On the face of it, folding on 7th street appears strange as you"re almost always going to have pot odds, but to say making the call is always the right play regardless ignores all the thought processes that could possibly lead to a hand getting that far. Ultimately what I"m trying to suggest is that anyone who gets to 7th street without being certain they are ahead is highly likely to be behind. By calling "just in case" the amount you may pick up is considerably outweighed by losing that final bet all the times you are behind.
Currently tearing the Ipoker anonymous tables a new one