Author Topic: Views please.......  (Read 9815 times)

pokernuts07

• Silver Member
Views please.......
« on: December 04, 2009, 12:59:44 PM »
Always like to try and analise my exiting hands in live tourneys to see if I made the correct play.  Views please on this one....

I have 6k left, average is about 10k and this is the last hand of blinds 300/600 (moving up to 400/800).  In SB with  tc  8h.  4 limpers before me so I call the 300, BB checks.  Pot is 3600.

Flop is  5h  ts  7c

I have 5400 left.....what"s the play here? I am 1st to act.

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Views please.......
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2009, 13:11:58 PM »
Firstly, I don"t like the limp/make up from the SB. You are setting yourself up to play with raggy cards out of position in a multi-way pot.... catch anything on the flop and you"re stuck..... and it seems that this is exactly what happened.

With 10xBB, and nobody showing any aggression preflop, I would prefer to shove here..... and if you don"t feel the right vibes for the shove, then fold. Don"t be fooled by the fact that you"re getting 11/1 to make up the blind.

As played (and without any other info on players) check/fold - you"ve no way of knowing if your top pair without a kicker is good. If someone bets and you have sufficient reads to put them on a steal with AK type hand, then shove to try and get to a HeadsUp showdown - you don"t want to end up in a multiway showdown here with such a marginal holding.

Shove or fold preflop though.

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 13:12:44 PM »
Ahem....................................ship (sorry Noble)

Yea, u dnt have enough to bet-fold (I guess u cud bet call but may as well ship imo)
Cnt really check and have an overcard fall on turn
Cnt check fold top pair w/ ur spr imo...u even have backdoor str8 draws!!!   ;D

Edit:  Heres quite a good write-up about these situations as well - http://misanthropicpoker.blogspot.com/2007/10/pnl-part-4c-playing-top-pait-with-spr.html

I also agree w/ Steve that this cud b a gd squeeeeeeeze spot.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 13:45:39 PM by Marty719 »
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

pokernuts07

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2009, 13:22:20 PM »
Hmm...

I shoved on the flop.  Guy in late position took an age, then called my all-in.  He had A 10.

Turn was a 6 giving me some more outs but river was blank.

Interesting views Steve and make sense.  Not sure I can check/fold there though.  Can"t bet/fold either but liking the pre-flop shove.  Would probably of got through.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 13:24:03 PM by pokernuts07 »

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2009, 13:23:59 PM »

Hmm...

I shoved on the flop.  Guy in late position took an age, then called my all-in.  He had A 10.

Turn was a 7 giving me some more outs but river was blank.

Interesting views Steve and make sense.  Not sure I can check/fold there though.  Can"t bet/fold either but liking the pre-flop shove.  Would probably of got through.

Awww way too early for results :( - always influences ne further discussion.  

pokernuts07

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2009, 13:24:50 PM »
 ;D sorry

Please post more views though......

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2009, 13:28:48 PM »
Shove pre IMO

with 4 limpers and the bb your Getting 3k. That"s 50% of your stack. Effectively like a double up. If your getting a bad feeling like you"ve seen someone limped with aces or kings previously or AK who wil insta call a shove then fold

88 isn"t a strong hand but it"s good enough to jam it all in pre with the limpers and chase out those ace9 suited or qj hands

pokernuts07

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2009, 13:32:08 PM »

Shove pre IMO

with 4 limpers and the bb your Getting 3k. That"s 50% of your stack. Effectively like a double up. If your getting a bad feeling like you"ve seen someone limped with aces or kings previously or AK who wil insta call a shove then fold

88 isn"t a strong hand but it"s good enough to jam it all in pre with the limpers and chase out those ace9 suited or qj hands

I had 10 8 but I get your point.

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2009, 13:37:16 PM »

Shove pre IMO

On another note, ppl tht limp at this level w/ A9s or QJ shud b lynched.....genuinely  :-\

JamieCarra

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2009, 13:55:46 PM »
FYP

Shove pre IMO

On another note, ppl tht limp at this level w/ A9s or QJ shud b lynched.....genuinely  :-\
« Last Edit: December 04, 2009, 17:28:56 PM by lukybugur »

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2009, 14:04:47 PM »
i quite like checking here as played (hmm not sure whether completing is good or not, definitely not shoving pre).

this gives us chance to assess what happens behind and who bets (if anyone) - say if BB EP limper leads we can safely fold or if button leads his range is likely to be weaker and we can more reliably jam for value. Obviously if it goes bet/call or bet/raise we can fold safe in the knowledge we aren"t good.

of course all of this depends on how the players are and notes we have on individuals, as well as our own image.

i don"t hate the open shove flop but not sure it is best.
Looking forward to making my first day 2

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2009, 14:16:08 PM »

i quite like checking here as played (hmm not sure whether completing is good or not, definitely not shoving pre).

Why not?   Nobody has shown aggression - there"s a reasonable chance we will take down a significant addition to our stack uncontested, and even if we do get a caller, we are like to have live cards and may only be as bad as 4/6. Got to get chips in sooner or later at this stage - why is now such a bad spot with all those limps in the middle?

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 14:16:42 PM »
Got all that then? According to our panel you should have shoved, folded or limped preflop & on the flop either shove, check-fold or check-jam. Glad we have cleared that up for you. Anyone else want our expert advice?
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2009, 14:18:09 PM »

Got all that then? According to our panel you should have shoved, folded or limped preflop & on the flop either shove, check-fold or check-jam. Glad we have cleared that up for you. Anyone else want our expert advice?

lol - true - imo shove or fold pre

as played shove flop

pokernuts07

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2009, 14:35:52 PM »

LOL ;D

Mixed opinions then.......which is good in a way.  Seems a few plays could of been made here, obviously in hindsight I picked the wrong one :(