Author Topic: What do i do here?  (Read 9850 times)

nyerun

• Silver Member
What do i do here?
« on: December 05, 2009, 17:20:01 PM »
Last night was playing a social club FO with 11 players, blinds still just 50/100 and starting stacks are 5000, im on about 6500 (10 left)

In sb look down at KK, 5 handed in sb, fold, call, fold behind, i raise to 400, BB calls, and caller folds

Flop comes down as 346, 2 clubs. At this point in the game im thinking that im quite happy to take this pot down so bet out 1000

BB then pushes all in for 2,800 more

What should my play be in this position?
Silver Medal- Online National League 2009 (Manchester)

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
Re: What do i do here?
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2009, 17:33:38 PM »
Get it in all day evry day.  He has a lot of draws and worse overpairs in his range.  Im guessing u lost tho, these posts dnt tend to appear if u shove, he has 77 andu hold ;)

Meh, gg wp - get it in
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2009, 17:38:24 PM »
guessing this a thinly disguised bad beat story in the making. ;)

Of course you have to call the extra 2800 every time.

nyerun

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 17:39:21 PM »
no its just i was with Gary and he reckoned he could have folded! will post the hand later!

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 18:36:49 PM »
All in every time - but thats just me

nyerun

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 18:38:48 PM »
I was, but put this on here because Gary Philips said to me that he could possibly lay it down. In the end the guy had 5h 7h, so i was virtually dead and buried, but i couldnt understand where i could possibly fold here either?

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2009, 18:52:48 PM »
no problem -- move on nothing to see here -- to my small  brain anyway

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2009, 19:33:14 PM »

I was, but put this on here because Gary Philips said to me that he could possibly lay it down. In the end the guy had 5h 7h, so i was virtually dead and buried, but i couldnt understand where i could possibly fold here either?

You couldn"t!
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

Cyntaf

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2009, 21:43:07 PM »
only if you"d sneaked a peek at his holding. at which point you would have folded anyway, as you would not want to cheat........................Oh and you would of course have been dead in the water. Just kidding :D

BTW Aneurin, does he regularly play babies against raises? There are a couple at my school that are renowned for it, still it would be hard to lay down as they could be using your knowledge against you. Hope i haven"t confused the issue, but something else to consider? ;)
Team Cymru Captain Apat World Team champions 2010 + 2011

nyerun

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2009, 22:07:08 PM »
never played the player before in my life!

JamieCarra

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2009, 02:47:24 AM »
-Bet less on the flop, somewhere around 600-700 is enough
- Call now

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2009, 05:10:58 AM »
poker is so much easier in position with reads  :)
ok oop against a random on a co-ordinated flop [2 suited] if we cbet our over pair what will happen and what would i be thinking.
[flop  :3d: 4c 6c]
1. if we cbet how often will villain fold on this particular flop..mostly he will fold all hands we are beating,is that good with KK oop?
2. how many worse hands call.
3. how many better hands fold to our bet,not likely here :)
4. how likely will villain raise our continuation bet, and what are the consequences of that..
well mostly with this texture flop, your bet sizing pre and post, the only action you will get back is sets,2 pairs,straights,over pairs and strong draws [A5cc A3cc A2cc AQcc 78cc 35cc] and very seldom massive bluffs re-raising , top pairs just call [not hugely likely on 6 high flop] and with no reads you cannot tell between the draws and made hands that are beating you.
So i prefer to take a check call line mostly [no reads,these type of texture flops] and try to get to showdown cheaply if i can [thats if i dont improve on 4th or 5th street :)]...Your playing live so you"ll have more feel for the player/situation if villain gets all aggressive on the flop and turn which helps.We still and met get more value imo with checking here whilst trying to keep a bit of pot control.
Your thoughts about wanting to take the pot down on the flop [especially this type/texture] either means u take a small pot 60% of the time and the other 40% your in trouble scratching your head thinking WTF,this thought process needs changing imho.

Looking at possible hands that villain could have here,there are 43 combos beating you,39 combos that you are flipping with and 70 combos your beating,by checking you give yourself the opportunity of more options on 4th 5th street.

anyhows i hope that gave u a different angle to look at it from. :)

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2009, 10:25:55 AM »
If we plan to check call, it gives 77-QQ a chance to get away on the turn wen a scare card comes down and this is meant to make up a big portion of his range.  We need to remember he isnt meant to b calling w/ 75s hands in this spot.  I really think check-calling isnt great as it gives out opponent a chance to get away from the main hands in his range that he stacks off to us with.
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2009, 16:25:36 PM »
again marty in this situation , with NO reads we cannot put villain on a precise range..We get value pre flop by raising what we think is the best hand , post flop is a different story as now because we have no idea of villains style this logic that players have to cbet every flop to protect or get value is flawed..If the flop was dry J72 rainbow or K46 then the cbet is an ok choice imo,77 to JJ is a very small proportion of a randoms range , QQ most randoms will re-raise pre imo..
Sometimes depending on texture of flops,pot size,stack sizes,position and reads then the cbet is not a automatic line to take,our objectives imo should be flexible..
Try to get out of the mindset that villains should not call 75s,this is a far better hand to call with in this spot than 77-JJ as 75s is easier to play and has more opportunity to improve.

samuel_9

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2009, 18:30:59 PM »

gary philips good lay down