Author Topic: What are the different ways of playing this hand?  (Read 6502 times)

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: What are the different ways of playing this hand?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2010, 23:06:18 PM »

But maybe that"s why I play cash rather than tournaments?

but didn"t you win a tournament once?

shozboy1

• Silver Member
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2010, 13:17:11 PM »
I know what you"re saying, but a Axx flop all same suit none of which I hold, facing a shove all in isn"t a great spot to get my money in. Because I didn"t reraise preflop I was able to get away from the hand cheaply and stay alive in the game. I never planned to check fold even this flop, but then I didn"t expect to be up against a shove either.

I checked, hoping either he checks behind or makes a reasonable bet which I had every intention of calling. I would then have hoped a non-diamond hit the turn. Then with only one card to come I would"ve been happy to commit all my money to this hand if necessary. I guess my feeling is its a safer way of playing when you put your opponent on a draw. He"s probably 2-1 dog to win the hand on the flop but if we get a safe turn he becomes a substantial underdog (if as I say he"s on a draw) and then we get our money in when way ahead.
WCOAP online final tablist 2009
WCOAP live 6 max final tablist 2010
Eng online final tablist 2011

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2010, 15:50:30 PM »

I know what you"re saying, but a Axx flop all same suit none of which I hold, facing a shove all in isn"t a great spot to get my money in. Because I didn"t reraise preflop I was able to get away from the hand cheaply and stay alive in the game. I never planned to check fold even this flop, but then I didn"t expect to be up against a shove either.

I checked, hoping either he checks behind or makes a reasonable bet which I had every intention of calling. I would then have hoped a non-diamond hit the turn. Then with only one card to come I would"ve been happy to commit all my money to this hand if necessary. I guess my feeling is its a safer way of playing when you put your opponent on a draw. He"s probably 2-1 dog to win the hand on the flop but if we get a safe turn he becomes a substantial underdog (if as I say he"s on a draw) and then we get our money in when way ahead.

But if you"re a favourite on the flop, you want the money to go in then, surely?  If you wait for the turn then he might decide that with one card to come he isn"t getting the odds and so you don"t get another chip from him.

I get what you"re saying, and I"ve made similar decisions in the past and decided that they were mistakes.
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2010, 02:31:49 AM »
Shoz play the hand as if the villains cards were face up , say if he had just a flush draw would u check and give a potential free card? If it is your style to play weak then adjust to players who will take advantage of you and be prepared to call moves like this.. Put on the long term specs and everytime at 30bbs at the same late stage of the mtt u have a 6/4 chance of doubling up would u take it?
obviously the result is irrelevant, but I at least got my money in ahead which has got to be the ultimate goal

whats different here? if your AK had been up against 2 live cards u would be around 64.296% fav if any pair 22-QQ u are a 45% dog , just against a random ATC hand u are 65.320%

My thinking at the time was why risk (at best) a race with top pair vs his maybe flush draw with my healthy stack.

board - ad 9d  :2d:
AcJh - 62.424%
KdTs - 37.576%

AcJh - 69.643%
KK-QQ,AcTc,AhTh,AsTs,Ac9c,Ah9h,As9s,Ac8c,Ah8h,As8s,Ac7c,Ah7h,As7s,Ac6c,Ah6h,As6s,Ac5c,Ah5h,As5s,Ac4c,
Ah4h,As4s,Ac3c,Ah3h,As3s,Ac2c,Ah2h,As2s,ATo-A2o,KJo+ - 30.357%

« Last Edit: January 06, 2010, 03:06:16 AM by noble1 »

shozboy1

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 18:43:21 PM »
ok thanks. Its useful to discuss these over because the situation is scarily frequent
WCOAP online final tablist 2009
WCOAP live 6 max final tablist 2010
Eng online final tablist 2011