Author Topic: final table short stacked folded 66 views please.  (Read 12577 times)

maverick1

final table short stacked folded 66 views please.
« on: January 03, 2010, 14:20:12 PM »
in a 45 player sng on full tilt last night, im sitting short stacked 9 handed on the final table after my ak suited was ripped apart by a 6 4 off lol therefore losing more than half my stack, a few hands pass no cards i have about 4 bb"s left, im aware of the nash push fold equilibrium (just learning it), i then receive 66 in middle position. it just didnt feel right, going against all my beliefs on playing short stacked on the bubble i folded. 2 hands later on the button i luckily recieved aq suited shoved and that was the end of my game.
the mathematics are telling me to shove my intuition was telling me to fold!
what would you have done and what would the reasons be?

im a new comer to poker only been playing a year more seriously learning through experience and reading books etc so your views would be much appreciated!

thanks, carl

noble1

• Platinum Member
Re: final table short stacked folded 66 views please.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 14:42:21 PM »
at 4bbs left even without antes any pair is +cEV even if all players behind are very loose callers..
A good book to read which met help a tad is Kill Everyone , you"ll find some good detailed charts that will help u in this area.

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2010, 14:52:37 PM »
firstly - try copying and pasting hand histories, they are much easier to deal with and give people the best chance to give a decent reply

secondly (and I may be totally wrong here - wouldn"t be the first time) - but isn"t the nash push fold equilibrium designed for HU play where effective stacks are less than 10 BBs? If so, then this doesn"t really apply in your situation here.

thirdly, I dont understand how you can be in Mid position with 66 then 2 hands later be on the button

As for playing the 66, I"m not sure what to do because Of the lack of info. The main thing we need to know is how big the other stacks are. This is crucial especially as you are on the bubble. Is it 8 players paid in a 45 man SNG? (9 handed on the bubble i think you said). It would also be beneficial to know what the prizes are.

My quick reply is...

If you are the shortest stack then shove the 66

If there are shorter stacks than you and the bottom prize is significant in relation to buyin then folding is fine.

Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 15:09:19 PM »
err i"ll plump for wrong Rob :P http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nash_equilibrium
although good point out on how big the other stacks are..
« Last Edit: January 03, 2010, 15:12:35 PM by noble1 »

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2010, 15:37:20 PM »
66 is a shove if I"m 1st into the pot with your stack and hope and pray I"m not called by better.  If action before it gets to me I fold

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2010, 18:22:17 PM »
you have a pair

i don"t fold them very often
Looking forward to making my first day 2

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2010, 18:56:30 PM »
I must be missing something in my game - how is this not a straight forward and simple shove?

Class

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2010, 20:19:24 PM »

I must be missing something in my game - how is this not a straight forward and simple shove?

That"s what my initial thoughts were...

JamieCarra

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2010, 20:21:53 PM »
Pretty sure 44 is near the top of my shoving range here!

I"m shoving pretty much any pair, any ace, most kings, a few queens and jacks aswell as anything suited or connected.

Eck

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2010, 20:24:10 PM »

Because it lost?

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2010, 20:25:13 PM »
Does it not matter that it is the money bubble of a STT and there could be a short stack about to be allin in the BB soon?
Rob, you are a genius.

JamieCarra

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2010, 20:34:06 PM »

Does it not matter that it is the money bubble of a STT and there could be a short stack about to be allin in the BB soon?

Really depends on the other stack sizes and payout structure but assuming there"s no other stacks <10bb we"re going to have a difficult time outlasting them and would be better off trying to get into decent shape to go for the win.

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2010, 20:44:04 PM »
I"m only playing devils advocate here (I"m shoving here) but you have to remember that a 4BB shove is definitely getting called, probably more than once, where 66 is in bad shape. So if we are one from the money and there are shorter stacks that could be all in in the blinds then surely folding is correct there??

Rob, you are a genius.

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2010, 21:08:47 PM »

I"m only playing devils advocate here (I"m shoving here) but you have to remember that a 4BB shove is definitely getting called, probably more than once, where 66 is in bad shape. So if we are one from the money and there are shorter stacks that could be all in in the blinds then surely folding is correct there??

only if min-cashing is an acceptable result. personally i would rather take my chances with the 66, even against multiple others, to try and get a stack to get to the bigger payouts.

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2010, 21:59:53 PM »

only if min-cashing is an acceptable result. personally i would rather take my chances with the 66, even against multiple others, to try and get a stack to get to the bigger payouts.

If it was a big field tourney then min cashing is pointless so I"d be shoving regardless of any shorter stacks. I dont know the payout structure here but given its a 45 man STT then I"d imagine that bottom prize is worth a fair ammount in comparison to buyin and the other prizes as well.
Rob, you are a genius.