Author Topic: Was this straight forward?  (Read 7618 times)

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Was this straight forward?
« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2010, 14:22:26 PM »
Pot odds probably make calling profitable, but this is a tourney and pot odds dont really come into the equation in this spot.
fold preflop. As played, check raise flop or if it goes check check on flop, shove the turn.
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2010, 15:58:32 PM »

I hope I am a little less predictable these days Eck ( its been a while since I was on your table) and I try and be a bit more creative on occasions!  ;)

Think it was 2 or 3 weeks ago mate, wasn"t an APAT game would have been one of the rebuys on ipoker but may have been another mikeyboy for all i know.

Anyway fold pre now i dont mind tbh u have hit top pair if he was strong he will likely call a jam anyway so why not let him bet and have a gamble at the full double up.

Not me Eck, never play re buys, and would defo remember.
Right consensus seems to be that I played this like a complet ar*e. Getting the odds to make the call was a major thing in making this call, which is strange for me because I am not usually dictated to by pot odds, and particularly not in tournaments.
I still think calling is not that bad though as I could easily have laid it down if I had not hit, and still be about average stack. As it turned out, hitting got me into all sorts of trouble.
So I hit top pair, and check as suggested, he bets about half the pot and I insta shove, only for him to show a flopped set of fives, and its goodnight Vienna, for a massive profit of $34.70!
Having thought about it, my normal inclination would be to fold here, and get my money in when in position, and under my own terms, so I am disappointed that I let the odds sway me into calling. Clearer thinking next time! ;)
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #17 on: January 06, 2010, 16:20:02 PM »
U dnt have a big enuf stack to call even with the correct odds.

Wen u say, u can call, and fold flops and still have an average stack...average stack is 8x so this is not reassuring!
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2010, 17:25:28 PM »

Wen u say, u can call, and fold flops and still have an average stack...average stack is 8x so this is not reassuring!

Yeah but after 4 and a half hours, aren"t most tournaments becoming crapshoots?

JamieCarra

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2010, 17:38:15 PM »

Yeah but after 4 and a half hours, aren"t most tournaments becoming crapshoots?

No, most online tournaments should still have a decent amount of play in them, and you need to be able to adjust your game whenever it does turn into a crapshoot (ie not calling 10% of your stack oop with 96)

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 06, 2010, 18:18:55 PM »
100% standard muck pre with <10bigs, calling is very optimistic and you need a flop like you got. You should use your chips  for fold equity rather than calling off. Reshoving with 9 hi when the CL should never fold is not on the menu either

as played, CRAI baby - please don"t fold for crying out loud
Looking forward to making my first day 2

shozboy1

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: January 06, 2010, 18:47:01 PM »
I"d be folding 95% of the time. Maybe the other 5% of the time. as long as i"ve had afew beers, could try a stop and go
WCOAP online final tablist 2009
WCOAP live 6 max final tablist 2010
Eng online final tablist 2011

WYoung83

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: January 07, 2010, 22:06:32 PM »
It depends on the buy in and the size of the tourney. The sunday million still has play for the average stack after 4 hrs,

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2010, 09:33:54 AM »
Correct Will! This was a $5 tourney on BSQ, and the average stack was less than 8 BBs, so we were at crap shoot stage.

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: January 08, 2010, 13:10:03 PM »

Correct Will! This was a $5 tourney on BSQ, and the average stack was less than 8 BBs, so we were at crap shoot stage.

therefore chips should be used for jamming and not calling
Looking forward to making my first day 2

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2010, 13:49:51 PM »
Yeah, think I,ve got the message on that one  ;)

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2010, 00:57:33 AM »

Yeah, think I,ve got the message on that one  ;)

i dont mind it mikey , your instinct as u said was that u thought he may not be strong
Min raise from the CL was weird, he had not done that before, either he had a monster or he wanted to see a flop cheaply without limping,

as long as you have a plan then i"m ok with your move , unorthodox yes but not as bad as it 1st looks imho.
I still think calling is not that bad though as I could easily have laid it down if I had not hit, and still be about average stack. As it turned out, hitting got me into all sorts of trouble.
So I hit top pair, and check as suggested, he bets about half the pot and I insta shove,

This is the only part of your thought process i dont like , u dont have to hit the flop but i do think u either donk bet into him any flop or if u want to then check fold if u miss ONLY if u read the players to your left as weak in the blinds so that u may have the opportunity to steal quite easily.. if u hit though i prefer to donk bet no fancy check raise please :) as he may take a free card and catch up or cbet and then be committed anyhows, plus the way u read him i think in this situation u get him to fold most flops if led into.. I like it even more if u have observed him folding flops when donked into as well,this works [not surprisingly] a lot in these low buy ins.
Ok uve tried it out and its backfired but with a few tweaks and the right reads i think this works in certain situations,especially if your image has been conservative then your call does look stronger [even in $5 mtts at this stage they notice mr tighty]
« Last Edit: January 09, 2010, 01:10:07 AM by noble1 »