Author Topic: Correct ruling?  (Read 14049 times)

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Correct ruling?
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 21:31:14 PM »

An expensive lesson maybe, but a valuable one.

standard mantra for your home games Ian 8)

At least the player wouldn"t make the mistake again
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2010, 10:01:35 AM »
I had this exact situation in Gala Leeds recently. The culprit in this case was not forced to make up the difference but had to leave his incorrect call bet in.

Not saying it"s right but the ruling seemed to be based on the fact that people agreed it was a mistake and he wasn"t angle shooting.

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2010, 15:38:45 PM »

I had this exact situation in Gala Leeds recently. The culprit in this case was not forced to make up the difference but had to leave his incorrect call bet in.

Not saying it"s right but the ruling seemed to be based on the fact that people agreed it was a mistake and he wasn"t angle shooting.

I"ve seen this a number of times, and it seems fairest.

However, if they do this and they"re wearing and MP3 player, shades and a hoodie - then they should have to put in all their chips, their cards, stand up on their chair and shout "I"m an idiot" and be mocked.
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

BOINGBLITZ

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2010, 00:22:09 AM »
Happened to me a couple of years ago at Walsall. I was seated in seat 9 and was chatting to the guy in seat 10. I saw a guy in seat 4 call the BB bet but he was one of these people who announces raise, but actually puts the call in physically and then follows with the raise.
 I only saw the call placed in and when I announced "Call" (with my 6-9 spades), I was made to match his full raise, leaving me seriously short-stacked. As it was, 2 spades flopped and I shoved and busted his aces !!
 What annoys me is that on MANY occasions since, I have seen this happen and on EVERY occasion, they have been allowed to take the chips back.
 I wish poker had standard rules........
LATVIAN O/L CHAMPION 2008.
WELSH O/L CHAMPION 2009
IRISH AMATEUR CHAMPION 2009, in memory of Bill Young
WELSH O/L PLO CHAMPION 2013
Bronze medalist 2009 & Captain 2010 ENGLAND team.
CAPTAIN 4-TIME O/L CHAMPS WALSALL / WEST MIDLANDS.
No.1 ranked Online 2009.
R-up Sth Euro O/L PLO 2010
3rd Pu

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2010, 13:20:27 PM »

Devils advocate here.

What if he said I call the thousand ? (just from another point if view for conversation). Would/should he be allowed to take it back?

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2010, 13:33:45 PM »

Devils advocate here.

What if he said I call the thousand ? (just from another point if view for conversation). Would/should he be allowed to take it back?

pretty sure no-one would ever say that
Looking forward to making my first day 2

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2010, 13:46:43 PM »

Devils advocate here.

pretty sure no-one would ever say that

I call the thousand

Curlarge

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • I wish I was as good as someone better than me!
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2010, 15:53:23 PM »
Is it not the case that as the bet was less than half of what the actual raise should have been, then he is allowed to take the bet back? I"m pretty sure that is what happens at Luton??
APAT Season 6 statistics
APAT Live Events 8, Attended 8, Final Tables 0, Cashes 0, Ranking Points 0, Having a word with myself 1.

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2010, 17:03:33 PM »
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

samuel_9

• Gold Member
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2010, 20:17:05 PM »

I think I"m getting confused here.

what about this scenario

blinds are 200/400. UTG moves all in for 5K. fold round to guy in MP who says "raise to 1000" (having not heard the allin). The dealer then informs him that it is 5K to go so MP says he doesn"t want to raise or call anymore.

Surely this is the case where he has to leave his 1K in the pot and is not obliged to match the allin?
first of all heres my glass 00 the blinds are 300/600 not 2/4 hes allin for 3.5k not 5k glasses are a wonderful thing read it again

samuel_9

• Gold Member
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2010, 20:21:39 PM »

Hmm, good one, I"ve never had this at any games I"ve run.

If the player says "call" and throws the 1k chip in, then he/she"s forced to call the whole bet, meaning the full 3.5k, no question.

I think you"ve got to ask one question - if the player throws a chip into the pot is he/she automatically assumed to be calling, regardless of any verbal announcement ? Some TDs may, whereas others may not. If the assumption is a "call" then the player is liable for the full 3.5k. If the TD thinks a genuine mistake has been made (how the TD could make that assessment, I"m not sure) then I suppose the player may be allowed to fold but leave the 1k behind.

My own view is that the player should have been forced to pay the full 3.5k - if anything, it would have made the player pay more attention in future to what"s going on around him/her. An expensive lesson maybe, but a valuable one.

Or am I just too harsh...?
not too harsh at all  rules are rules spot on you young wippersnaper

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2010, 20:46:02 PM »

I think I"m getting confused here.

what about this scenario

blinds are 200/400. UTG moves all in for 5K. fold round to guy in MP who says "raise to 1000" (having not heard the allin). The dealer then informs him that it is 5K to go so MP says he doesn"t want to raise or call anymore.

Surely this is the case where he has to leave his 1K in the pot and is not obliged to match the allin?
first of all heres my glass 00 the blinds are 300/600 not 2/4 hes allin for 3.5k not 5k glasses are a wonderful thing read it again

LOL thanks for the advice. However I was asking for opinions on a different scenario.

The OP involved a scenario where there was a shove and an undershove which the player in question wanted to call (not aware of the open shove)

My example, involves a shove then the player in question wanting to make an opening raise (again, not aware of the open shove)

Read my post again and this should be obvious. I put different blinds and shove sizes to try and avoid confusion (I obviously failed with you though ;))
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

samuel_9

• Gold Member
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2010, 21:02:50 PM »
yes you did   sorry   the word scenario comes to mind

Pitchie

• Silver Member
    • My Website
« Reply #28 on: January 15, 2010, 15:05:44 PM »

Devils advocate here.

Just my 2 pence worth on an interesting thread...

The bet isn"t 1k it"s 3.5k. So he would be given an option of calling 3.5k or mucking.

The top and bottom of this matter is that the player to act should be aware of the play that is happening around him/her. If the play says call unaware of what is happening around him then thats just poor and he"ll have to put in the 3.5k IMO.

Paul.

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: January 15, 2010, 15:12:37 PM »

Devils advocate here.

Just my 2 pence worth on an interesting thread...

The bet isn"t 1k it"s 3.5k. So he would be given an option of calling 3.5k or mucking.

The top and bottom of this matter is that the player to act should be aware of the play that is happening around him/her. If the play says call unaware of what is happening around him then thats just poor and he"ll have to put in the 3.5k IMO.

Paul.

^^exactly