Author Topic: hand 53 from winning poker tourneys one hand at a time  (Read 3408 times)

shozboy1

• Silver Member
hand 53 from winning poker tourneys one hand at a time
« on: January 20, 2010, 15:20:26 PM »
Another interesting (i thought so anyway) hand played by Rizen, in his book with pearljammer and Apestyles:

setup:1st few hands of a $1000 buy in. blinds 10-20. Button is someone rizen has played with frequently. He"s pretty tight and has lots of respect for Rizen"s play. He"s made big laydowns against rizen in the past
SB 3000
BB 2980
SEAT 3 3030
SEAT 4 3000
SEAT 5(RIZEN) 2990
SEAT 6 2960
BUTTON 3000
Preflop KdJc. Folded around to rizen who opens for 60. Buttn calls, blinds fold.
Flop Js10s6d. Pot size 150. Rizen bets 100. button tanks using nearly all his timebank and min raises to 200. Rizen folds
views?...
WCOAP online final tablist 2009
WCOAP live 6 max final tablist 2010
Eng online final tablist 2011

Eck

• Silver Member
Re: hand 53 from winning poker tourneys one hand at a time
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2010, 15:35:00 PM »
Publishing deadline?

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2010, 15:36:27 PM »
I"d be spew calling and hope to hit another J  

This kind of letting the clock run down usually tries to signal that your in deep thought but many many times than not the villian turns up with a set or aces/kings.

But then again Ive not got the bankroll for $1000 buy ins

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2010, 15:41:51 PM »

blinds 10-20. Button is someone rizen has played with frequently. He"s pretty tight and has lots of respect for Rizen"s play.

Tight player who seems to not want to get involved with sum1 he respects is pretty key.  Im sure rizen mite 3-bet against sum opponents, and flat against others, but from the description of villain, it doesnt seem like he min-raises the flop w/out having KJ beat.

Also, Rizen does not want to play the pot out of position against a rock with one pair.

Also, its still very early stages, and Rizen does not need to commit lots of chips in this spot.  If he calls flop, he has to call a lot of turns and rivers.
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

WYoung83

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2010, 17:32:46 PM »
 seems like a very weird hand. Although a tough spot to get into, out of pos with just top pair against a rock, and the fact that you can face bigger bets on turn and river, can you really fold top pair here when getting 4-1 to see another card ???

Is there any chance that the tight player has 89 0r QK and wants to slow rizen down to induce a free river ( when it goes check, check on turn) or he could just have two random spades and want to see a free river using the same logic.

Also ask ourself this. If Button has a monster set, then why would he do this "Donk" re-raise and give Rizen odds to call incase he is the one drawing to a straight or flush? Just because he min re-raises on the flop, it does not always mean he has top pair beat. Most of the time it does, but not always.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2010, 17:38:41 PM by WYoung83 »

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2010, 17:39:08 PM »
my strat in this hand does not include bet/folding top pair on a drawy flop, seems so exploitable
Looking forward to making my first day 2

shozboy1

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2010, 19:53:28 PM »
yeah its an interesting one. He explains in the reasoning section a number of things. Someone mentions its an attempt by a draw to see the river cheap. He says he would usually put a random on this line but because of history with this guy doesn"t seem convinced by this line. He essentially reasons he doesn"t want to play a pot with a decent player oop without knowing "where he is at". Plus its early and people are still deep. He doesn"t really offer an opinion as to what the guy may have, just that he doesn"t like this spot. Certainly the timing tell plays a part.

Me personally would call the flop bet. Its probably one of the better flops for our hand. Although if you/me calls, do you lead on the turn (potentially spewing more in the dark) or do we check? Problem is there"s so many turns he can represent. Maybe this early folding is best?

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2010, 21:05:13 PM »

my strat in this hand does not include bet/folding top pair on a drawy flop, seems so exploitable

i dont get this dean , how can it be exploitable if there is no showdown? no one knows what Rizen has folded.Villain has position
He"s pretty tight and has lots of respect for Rizen"s play.
so what would you do that would make continuing un-exploitable in Rizens situation here?

shozboy1

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2010, 22:14:57 PM »
The book is awesome and I recommend it. Essentially both Pearljammer and Rizen advocate loose but passive/weak play early on to protect the stack. As the bok progresses through hands it takes you through mid and later stages of a tourney. Then they ratchet up the aggression and use postflop/reading skills to break people

little big up for myself. Just booked a seat to this weekends DTD 2020 for 15 bucks with an online satellite!

JamieCarra

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2010, 00:49:22 AM »

seems like a very weird hand. Although a tough spot to get into, out of pos with just top pair against a rock, and the fact that you can face bigger bets on turn and river, can you really fold top pair here when getting 4-1 to see another card ???

Yep, especially when you consider the reverse implied odds for when you hit one of your potential "outs" which would lead you to paying off the rock for his set/house

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2010, 18:44:11 PM »

i dont get this dean , how can it be exploitable if there is no showdown? no one knows what Rizen has folded.Villain has position
He"s pretty tight and has lots of respect for Rizen"s play.
so what would you do that would make continuing un-exploitable in Rizens situation here?

just seems kind of bad bet/folding a hand that is near top of our range on a board that is ripe for a semibluff, sort of makes betting in the first place a bone of contention. If we fold KJ then do we fold QQ etc in this spot. I guess vs this guy its ok but i just don"t like b/f this flop in general with this hand. guess its a meh spot
Looking forward to making my first day 2