Author Topic: Buyin Amount for Online Series Events?  (Read 25380 times)

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
Re: Buyin Amount for Online Series Events?
« Reply #45 on: October 14, 2007, 15:16:18 PM »

The polling facility on the forum is not enabled so I created a poll here.

Results so far here

It will be interesting to see the results, although I do think that the bigger issue here is the starting stack rather than buy-in, but lets see what the people say.

Leigh

duncthehat

• Silver Member
« Reply #46 on: October 14, 2007, 17:02:57 PM »
Anything to stop people voting more than once on your poll Sharky?
WSOP 2014 Seniors 207th - A cash at last!
WSOP 2011 Horse just off a cash :(
WSOP 2012 Horse Crap.  Stud Hi Lo 3 off money :(
3 x Horse WCOAP Final Tables
1 x Razz WCOAP Final Table
Apat Series PLO Runner up 2011
3 x APAT NLH Top 10 Finishes

sharky_uk

• Bronze Member
« Reply #47 on: October 14, 2007, 17:08:39 PM »
Well it didn"t let me when I tried.  :D

FlyingPig73

• Silver Member
« Reply #48 on: October 14, 2007, 20:31:13 PM »
With this vote there is no mention of how it is couples with the amount of times that we play the online events.

$20 twice a month on a saturday was fine by me, but to play $20 and still keep the amount of occasions we play would stop me from participating. I know you dont have to play in evey event, but it has to be affordable to play in every event, and then members have the choice.
"You don't fail when you fall down. You fail when you fall down and don't get back up."

duncthehat

• Silver Member
« Reply #49 on: October 14, 2007, 20:44:10 PM »
I agree the flyingpig
WSOP 2014 Seniors 207th - A cash at last!
WSOP 2011 Horse just off a cash :(
WSOP 2012 Horse Crap.  Stud Hi Lo 3 off money :(
3 x Horse WCOAP Final Tables
1 x Razz WCOAP Final Table
Apat Series PLO Runner up 2011
3 x APAT NLH Top 10 Finishes

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #50 on: October 15, 2007, 20:50:29 PM »
As of a day and a half into the vote there are 43 votes cast - with the most votes for any one option being 29.

To put it another way that is considerably less than 2% of the registered members of the forum.

I"m sure you don"t need for me to get too technical with any statistics to know that basing a decision on the wishes of less than a fiftieth of the membership would not be entirely representative.

Pretty much reinforces the judgment that forum polls would not be a particularly helpful way of deciding policy.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2007, 20:52:37 PM »

10 dollar buy in,s encourage more loose play.I know points are at stake ,but for yopur new apat member it is basically ,just a crap shoot.Sorry a 10 dolar get them in and hope for the best.(like my normal game plan)

First time I have heard a 5000 chip 15 minute online tourney called a crapshoot!!!

Yes plenty of loose players early doors but you have loads of chips to make your moves on them or recover from being sucked out on

Reiterating the point I made elsewhere - we can"t tell much so early in the season.

But I distinctly remember some very loose, fishy play with the first seasons $20 buy in tournaments.

And I"m pretty sure they weren"t even all down to Kinboshi either
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: October 15, 2007, 23:20:30 PM »

10 dollar buy in,s encourage more loose play.I know points are at stake ,but for yopur new apat member it is basically ,just a crap shoot.Sorry a 10 dolar get them in and hope for the best.(like my normal game plan)

First time I have heard a 5000 chip 15 minute online tourney called a crapshoot!!!

Yes plenty of loose players early doors but you have loads of chips to make your moves on them or recover from being sucked out on

Reiterating the point I made elsewhere - we can"t tell much so early in the season.

But I distinctly remember some very loose, fishy play with the first seasons $20 buy in tournaments.

And I"m pretty sure they weren"t even all down to Kinboshi either

Nope, many were down to you.

But anyway, back on track.  There are arguments for both keeping it at $10 and for increasing it to $20.  I happened to cash in the Thursday one (was at the blonde bash for the Saturday one, so I missed that unfortunately), and playing for 5 hours to win $12 or whatever it was certainly isn"t any motivation for me. 

Tournaments are about variance, about the chance to win big from a relatively small buy-in.  However, if the money means nothing, then the play will reflect this.  I was only interested in the prize money that the top spot offered, other than that it was the points I was playing for. 

It"s interesting that the satellites are $20 buy-ins, but the ranking events are $10.  I would have thought it"d be the other way round.  Maybe double the number of sats, half the price for each one, and spread the seat allocation across the increased number of sats.

As for the ranking events, why not one $10 and one $20?  That would suit everyone, possibly?  Both with the same ranking points, but one having a larger prize pool.

Just an idea.

The idea of one $50 ranking (or non-ranking if it had to be) online event a month would be a good one.  It could even be a $100 with 18 ranking points on offer?  The 6 hours of playing and good structure would be much appreciated by all in this sort of event.

Not for this season, but maybe food for thought for the future?

"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

Phil_Crozier

• Silver Member
  • Knowledge Is The Bomb
    • www.easymoneyimthebigwinner.com
« Reply #53 on: October 16, 2007, 19:12:31 PM »
Flew through this post and hardly read a thing because the posts are large and i don"t have that much time, but this is what i think;

$11 is fine but $22 and once a week would be better.

one $44/$50 tourney a month would be great.

thursday nights are fine, if you want the points you"ve got to earn them, ive stayed up playing poker much later than the apat events finish and got up for work at 6 in the morning, rough day but worth it.

saturday nights are bad, late afternoon on a sunday would be better, say 6pm. especially if it was a larger buyin once a month a nice sunday dinner then a cracking game of poker, is there much better? but if so i"d like a 20/30 minute clock.

why not have a poll?

Another thing, completely random and irrelevant but, where you can click smileys and cards when posting, why is there 1 of every card and 2  ad1 ad
Fold

rivertaff

• Silver Member
    • The Green Deal Wales
« Reply #54 on: October 16, 2007, 23:54:38 PM »
Totally agree with you Phil!

Saturday night is not good for an online tourney.

What excuse can I give the other half for missing her Saturday night out? :-\
The Green Deal Wales - www.thegreendealwales.com

WiseOwl

• Bronze Member
« Reply #55 on: October 17, 2007, 11:30:34 AM »
I also like the idea of a monthly deep-stack tournament but $50-$100 is outside of my bankroll.  Could I suggest that it is held on the last Sunday of each month with $10 satellites on the preceding Sundays?