Author Topic: Bad beat / DONK beat vent!!  (Read 2719 times)

jlane1980

• Silver Member
Bad beat / DONK beat vent!!
« on: January 24, 2010, 11:20:47 AM »
OK, i apologise in advance for the following Bad Beat story!
;)
I am attempting to become a "reborn" good poker player.  I have read Vol 1 of Harrington on Holdem, and am starting Vol 2 shortly.  However, no amount of strategy books can help me get my head around the following hand!

I was always told that my aim with Pocket Aces is to get all my money in preflop, if i can.

I"m playing in a $10+1 buy in MTT.  Blinds are 10/20, it"s very early, so i don"t know a lot about anybody else on the table.  I"m In SB+2 and imagine my joy to look down at  :as:- ah!

I decide just to flat call and hope for a rasie from someone else in order for me to reraise.  JOY!  Button -1 Raises to $80.  BB calls. I (as planned) reraise to $160.  I"m not expecting any more action at this point, possibly just a call from D-1, bet from me on the flop, to take the pot.  However, D-1 Raises again to $800.  BB insta-calls again! Ideal, surely i"m in the ideal situation.  I"m expecting maybe KK/QQ/AK, possibly JJ.

I push for my last £1500, D-1 Pushes, BB Pushes. 

I show  :as:/ ad! Well ahead!  D-1 tables  ac/ jh (Slightly dubious call/push).  BB shows ..... Wait for it .....  6c/ 8c! WTF!!

Needless to say flop comes down  5s: ah: 9c - Trips, i"m well ahead! MINT! (Can you spot whats going to happen yet?  I didn"t, i was already working out what my chipstack is going to be!)

Turn  ks (Nothing)

River  7h

I"m thinking, awsome, i won a huge stack.  Then to my suprise, all MY Chips make their way to the BB!  He"s jammed a straight!  I mean, seriously, what goes through the mind of people like that?   Can anybody help me?  A call to a raise and reraise with nothing!

Also, i"m quite new to APAT, but please tell me that people like that don"t play for APAT!?

Sorry for the mammoth post / Vent!

I"m waiting for all the tl;dr!
The all-in play works everytime but once.

noble1

• Platinum Member
Re: Bad beat / DONK beat vent!!
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2010, 12:32:12 PM »
dont quite get your position descriptions please see below..

PokerStars Game #36291786338: Tournament #218992485, $670+$30 USD Hold'em No Limit - Level I (10/20) - 2009/12/05 16:41:58 ET
Table "218992485 1" 9-max Seat #1 is the button
Button (t1500)
SB (t1500)
BB (t1500)
UTG (t1500)
UTG+1 (t1500)
MP1 (t1500)
Hero (MP2) (t1500)
MP3 (t1500)
CO (t1500)

Preflop: Hero is MP2 with Ac, Kh
1 fold, UTG+1 calls t20, 1 fold, Hero bets t100, 5 folds, UTG+1 calls t80

Flop: (t230) 7s, 4h,  ad (2 players)
UTG+1 checks, Hero bets t130, 1 fold

Total pot: t230

Results:
Hero didn"t show Ac, Kh.
Outcome: Hero won t230

just google poker hand converter and these will make it easier for people to follow...

Raise pre AA do not limp is my advice , reraise was to small [myself i"d make it 420 with a raiser and a caller]  , you got your chips in good overall,be happy with that..Get used to variance, play within your bankroll and then these beats although irritating will not hurt so much.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2010, 12:35:40 PM by noble1 »

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2010, 12:58:57 PM »
whilst I dont like how you got all the chips in the middle (raise pre but as played reraise more), you nevertheless succeeded in doing that (well done).

Just remember AA can lose as well, so once you get your desired result (i.e. all the chips in the middle pre flop) sit back and let the poker gods do their thing. If the result is no good then deep breath and move on to the next hand (or tourney if you are bust)

Also posting bad beats on a strategy board is poor form. (believe it or not, people have seen them all before)

If you want advice on how you played the Aces that is fine but dont post the result. Post details of the hand in stages. (we can then all have a laugh at the end when some donkey calls with 68 and gets there)

ul
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

jlane1980

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 13:58:31 PM »

whilst I dont like how you got all the chips in the middle (raise pre but as played reraise more), you nevertheless succeeded in doing that (well done).

Just remember AA can lose as well, so once you get your desired result (i.e. all the chips in the middle pre flop) sit back and let the poker gods do their thing. If the result is no good then deep breath and move on to the next hand (or tourney if you are bust)

Also posting bad beats on a strategy board is poor form. (believe it or not, people have seen them all before)

If you want advice on how you played the Aces that is fine but dont post the result. Post details of the hand in stages. (we can then all have a laugh at the end when some donkey calls with 68 and gets there)

ul

That"s the first and last bad beat i"l post.

Sorry all.
:-[
The all-in play works everytime but once.

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2010, 20:19:15 PM »
Bad beats are your best friend Jon. (read the book I recommended and it will all make sense)

The following is taken from the latest PokerPlayer mag showing the different thinking levels.

The player is dealt AA in UTG+1
The blinds are $5/$10

EXPERT: I have Aces, so I have to raise. Many times players will check-raise in early position with this hand, giving away the strength of their hand. make it $30

INTERMEDIATE: Oh, pocket Aces. I"m going to raise it up $25 again. Hopefully my opponents recognise that I raise the same amount each time

NOVICE: Aces, feel like I can"t lose, almost. Raise to $20 and see what everyone else does