Author Topic: so called 'donk bets'  (Read 4798 times)

shozboy1

• Silver Member
so called 'donk bets'
« on: January 28, 2010, 11:41:53 AM »
This is another hand from winning poker tourneys one hand at a time. Hope people don"t mind me posting these occasionally for discussion...
This one is played by Eric "Rizen" Lynch.

3rd hand of a $55 nightly freezeout. blinds 10-20. No significant reads on anyone and no image at this point.

Everyone at the 9 handed table has roughly the 3k starting stack.

Folded to mid position player who raises to 60. Rizen is on the buttn with AKo. He reraises to 250. MP calls.

Flop is 10h 9h 3s. Pot is 530.

MP leads into us for 320.

We...?
WCOAP online final tablist 2009
WCOAP live 6 max final tablist 2010
Eng online final tablist 2011

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
Re: so called 'donk bets'
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2010, 11:59:23 AM »
With no history or reads we insta-fold
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2010, 12:20:17 PM »
Fold.

To be honest though, in level 1, with no reads or info, I suspect I might have flatted preflop, and looked to play the flop in position..... that way I have the opportunity to 3-bet post flop without committing to the hand.

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2010, 12:40:56 PM »
Fold
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

cincicrappykid

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2010, 12:47:42 PM »
good mr redferne 9/10
GOLD NATIONAL ONLINE TEAM C/SHIP 09/10.  S1& 7 BCPC CHAMP/H/O Champ. BRONZE WCOAP 7 Card Stud 2009. BRONZE Scotish Online Omaha  2010 BRONZE Northern European NL  2010. APAT NATIONAL PUB CHAMPION 2011 SCOTTISH OMAHA  GOLD 2012. ECOAP SILVER WCOAP GOLD England Team 2013  National Online Champion 2013

shozboy1

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2010, 13:49:24 PM »
Rizen folds. He says AK very tough to play when deep stacked. He advocates flatting a raise from an EP raiser, but willingly repops a MP/late pos raiser.

He interprets the donk bet as "often when a player leads into us he has some sort of weak made hand or draw". If he"d read the man for being able to lay down 88/A10/flush draw here its a raise on the flop. However, without a read, very early in a tourney, fold for the safe route.

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2010, 13:53:55 PM »

He interprets the donk bet as "often when a player leads into us he has some sort of weak made hand or draw".

I think its also become overly popular to donk a lot of strong made hands in this spot also.  

WYoung83

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2010, 18:00:39 PM »
 Like i said the other day on here, this "donk lead" is fast becomming part of the meta game strategy, and im not to sure weather it should be called a "donk" play anymore.
It deffo is a weird line for anyone to take, If he had a set of 9s or 3s for example, surely he would rather go for the check raise. The Donk lead is defently not a play that i ever do, but i see it all the time during cash games, when i repop they usually insta fold and i take a note on them about this. But in tourneys its much harder for you to repop because your AK now becomes a bluff with 1/2 your stack on the line.

On a side note i also consider AK a much tougher hand to play during tourneys than in cash games. In cash games with 100BBs or less, then im willing to get it in pre flop, because if a opponent has QQ then you want to see all 5 cards . but early on during a tourney, if you have around 150-200 BBs then this is a bit spewy and most of the time your at the wrong end of a flip and heading to the cash tables.

shozboy1

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2010, 20:42:19 PM »
I would rarely want to be all in in a cash game with "100BBs or less" with AK. Although I take your point alot of people now lead out for value when the flop a set versus checking to the raiser
Alot of the young internet pros still call it a donk bet though, and say it should be raised with position versus folding/calling

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2010, 22:33:42 PM »

Fold.

To be honest though, in level 1, with no reads or info, I suspect I might have flatted preflop, and looked to play the flop in position..... that way I have the opportunity to 3-bet post flop without committing to the hand.

agree with champ
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 14:48:22 PM »

Like i said the other day on here, this "donk lead" is fast becomming part of the meta game strategy, and im not to sure weather it should be called a "donk" play anymore.
It deffo is a weird line for anyone to take, If he had a set of 9s or 3s for example, surely he would rather go for the check raise. The Donk lead is defently not a play that i ever do, but i see it all the time during cash games, when i repop they usually insta fold and i take a note on them about this. But in tourneys its much harder for you to repop because your AK now becomes a bluff with 1/2 your stack on the line.

On a side note i also consider AK a much tougher hand to play during tourneys than in cash games. In cash games with 100BBs or less, then im willing to get it in pre flop, because if a opponent has QQ then you want to see all 5 cards . but early on during a tourney, if you have around 150-200 BBs then this is a bit spewy and most of the time your at the wrong end of a flip and heading to the cash tables.

90% of leads are donk leads. FACT
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

shozboy1

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 15:37:34 PM »
So what would you have done in this hand? Raised?

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 15:45:29 PM »

So what would you have done in this hand? Raised?

Against an unknown I will tend to just fold. I would take Steve"s line this early and just flat
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 16:53:11 PM »
The key element to this hand is stack size, starting stack in these events is 3000 chips. Thats 150 bb"s deep, AK has a completely different relevent value in this spot compared to say 20 bb"s when its a monster. Also, Rizen has considerable edge over the field, which is a factor, a bad spot for him may be as good as it gets for mere mortals.

Regarding AK in a 100 bb cash scenario, as is often the case, it depends. AK has lots of equity against most 3 bet ranges but the lower the stakes the tighter the 4 bet ranges become and thats when AK loses value ( history may widen ranges but only slightly ). Versus a tight 4 bet range of QQ+, AQs+, AKo, AK has only 43% equity and very little in the way of fold equity.

The thing is though, without AK, your 4 bet / all in preflop range is unbalanced and exploitable. So taking slightly the worst of it on occasion has to be evaluated in conjunction with the action it induces at the top of your range.
"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 16:57:24 PM »

The key element to this hand is stack size, starting stack in these events is 3000 chips. Thats 150 bb"s deep, AK has a completely different relevent value in this spot compared to say 20 bb"s when its a monster. Also, Rizen has considerable edge over the field, which is a factor, a bad spot for him may be as good as it gets for mere mortals.

Regarding AK in a 100 bb cash scenario, as is often the case, it depends. AK has lots of equity against most 3 bet ranges but the lower the stakes the tighter the 4 bet ranges become and thats when AK loses value ( history may widen ranges but only slightly ). Versus a tight 4 bet range of QQ+, AQs+, AKo, AK has only 43% equity and very little in the way of fold equity.

The thing is though, without AK, your 4 bet / all in preflop range is unbalanced and exploitable. So taking slightly the worst of it on occasion has to be evaluated in conjunction with the action it induces at the top of your range.

/thread..............this^^^^^^^^^^^^all of this^^^^^^^^^