Author Topic: how many buy-ins do people drop in a bad session?  (Read 3240 times)

WYoung83

• Platinum Member
how many buy-ins do people drop in a bad session?
« on: February 12, 2010, 01:05:42 AM »
 Just had a bit of a down swing tonight, where i actually dropped 6 total max buyins for a cash game. It was at $25 NL and i was playing 4 tables at once, i usually find that when im running bad on one table, somthing bad happens on another table. I dont think you could blame me for quitting after that, it hasnt really hurt me too much to be honest (just a bit, lol)
But it got me thinking maybe i should of quit after loosing 3 or 4 buyins. what would others do when they know they are in the middle of a bad session, quit after loosing a couple of buyins? where should i draw the line and call it a night  :)

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
Re: how many buy-ins do people drop in a bad session?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2010, 01:09:15 AM »
I quit after two if the table has my number or I have angered the gods -- but that is just me

but I dont quit I chose a different table

cincicrappykid

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2010, 09:36:56 AM »
knowing Will he classes a bad session as missing his 2 outer he chased every street 6 OUT OF 10 HANDS  :-*
GOLD NATIONAL ONLINE TEAM C/SHIP 09/10.  S1& 7 BCPC CHAMP/H/O Champ. BRONZE WCOAP 7 Card Stud 2009. BRONZE Scotish Online Omaha  2010 BRONZE Northern European NL  2010. APAT NATIONAL PUB CHAMPION 2011 SCOTTISH OMAHA  GOLD 2012. ECOAP SILVER WCOAP GOLD England Team 2013  National Online Champion 2013

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2010, 11:22:18 AM »
It depends why you are dropping buy ins.

If you figure that you aren"t really focussed, are playing badly, etc, then it"s definitely time to take a break.

However, if you are getting your chips in good and continually losing to "bad beats", then what"s the point in stopping? I once read an article where someone said that life is just one long poker session.... ie if you are on a cold run, and take a break, you will still be on that cold run when you return. You may as well just play through it now and wait for things to heat up again. Probably best to drop down a level while you"re running bad though!

I"ve found it useful to jot down the big pots that I win/lose during a session, and note them as lucky/unlucky or good/bad... and if during the session the trend shows that I am losing big hands through being unlucky but playing correctly, I generally feel better about it.... but if it shows I am losing big pots through playing badly, it"s time to stop.

Also, I don"t think you should get hung up on losing 3, 4, 6, or more buyins per "session" - keep the longer term view. So long as you are playing well/correctly, and are up over the longer term, a single "session" can just be put down to variance (unless you are playing badly or making poor decisions during that session)

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2010, 11:23:01 AM »
Depends on how I am playing.  If I get coolered for 5 b"i"s and am still playing well then I will keep playing.  The moment I start to play bad is time to stop.
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2010, 14:36:44 PM »

Just had a bit of a down swing tonight, where i actually dropped 6 total max buyins for a cash game. It was at $25 NL and i was playing 4 tables at once,

A 6 bi losing session is no biggie, I"ve had several 8+ bi loses. They can be a big hit confidence wise but prudent bankroll management will minimise the effects, its essential to review the session thoroughly and honestly and, it"s best to leave the review until the following day, so you don"t assess your play in the same, filtering, frame of mind. It can be a big help at these times to zoom out and to look at longer term results, that can be as much as 100k hands. I recently reviewed my database over several sites and usernames and was very suprised to see that over 280k hands I was 50% below my adjusted EV :o

i usually find that when im running bad on one table, somthing bad happens on another table. I dont think you could blame me for quitting after that, it hasnt really hurt me too much to be honest (just a bit, lol)
But it got me thinking maybe i should of quit after loosing 3 or 4 buyins. what would others do when they know they are in the middle of a bad session, quit after loosing a couple of buyins? where should i draw the line and call it a night  :)

Its very much an individual thing, reasons to quit are dfferent for everyone. The default time to quit is when you are, playing bad ( really hard to tell at the time ), or the games are tough and there"s no edge to be had. Tilt is a huge and often very subtle factor in all of this and I"ve found it a help when reviewing a session, to try to remember the emotion of that session and the many subtle signals our bodies give us if we care to notice them. Its only when you notice tilt, in its various guises, that you can you do anything to combat it.
"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

Zanshin

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2010, 16:47:32 PM »
"how many buy-ins do people drop in a bad session?"

All of them  :-[
How can you call that.... you should have bet more...... I was all-in...... well you should have had more to bet.

WYoung83

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2010, 18:01:38 PM »
 Im not gonna drop my hole roll in 1 session thanks zanshin. But iv had a bit of time to look over the hands on poker tracker, and iv come to the conclusion i could not do much about any of them. I had 2 of my big pocket pairs cracked by small sets in a raised pot preflop, and with only 100BBs im not deep enough IMO to take any other line other than to get it in asap, especially when i get check raised on the flop, i cant flat call the check raise on the flop and so often on these games people are making check raises with air to get hands like AK or AQ to fold. just so happens that i got my money in bad against a flopped set, other guys played it well and trapped me for 100 BBs. I also flopped top 2 pair vs straight and flush draw, money goes in and im actually mathmatically a tiny dog i think. Anyway he hit the straight flush on turn.

I guess dropping 6-7 buyins is not much of a big deal, and it didnt affect my bank roll, because im not playing too high at the minute, thanks for the feedback guys.

So tonight i cant exactly take a break unfortunatly, as im playing in the BCPC, no rest for the wicked.