Author Topic: Buyin Amount for Online Series Events?  (Read 25387 times)

sharky_uk

• Bronze Member
Buyin Amount for Online Series Events?
« on: May 29, 2007, 18:29:46 PM »
The current buyin amount for Online Series events is $20 + $2.

In another thread the idea of reducing the buyin to $5 was mentioned. If I win a tournament with over 150 entrants that takes almost 5 hours to complete I want a decent financial reward not just £100. If the buyin was reduced to $5 I would not play these events.

Personally I would like to see the buyin increased to about $50. Perhaps $5 and $10 satellites could be set up leading to the main event for players who do not want to buy in directly.

I would be interested to hear your views on the correct buyin amount for these games.

Divitts.

• Silver Member
Re: Buyin Amount for Online Series Events?
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2007, 18:57:17 PM »
I would agree that $5 is too low but i think that if it was raised to $50 it would result in fewer entries ,ultimately ending in less prize money.I would consider a raise in the entry fee if it meant more money places being paid.
Remember.....its just a game!!!!

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2007, 19:00:07 PM »
In another thread I suggested the idea of keeping the $20 tournaments on a weekly basis, but every 4th week (for argument"s sake) have a $50 buy-in tourney that obviously has a bigger prize pool, but also is worth more points on the leaderboard.

It might also be an idea to have two tiers of events, to suit different bankrolls - or even maybe three?  $5 events would be brilliant for beginners or those who don"t want to spend any more on their poker.

"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

nosey-p

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2007, 19:39:43 PM »
$20 buy in is just about right, not to expensive for the beginner but still worth playing for the more experienced player (on avrega $1000)

we don"t need to make it complicated with different buy ins

RioRodent

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • https://photos.app.goo.gl/VFDZrGk6jgyCUzRB2
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2007, 19:47:18 PM »

$20 buy in is just about right, not to expensive for the beginner but still worth playing for the more experienced player (on avrega $1000)

I also think that $20 (+$2) is the right level for the target audience - Amateurs.

If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

sharky_uk

• Bronze Member
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2007, 19:51:34 PM »

In another thread I suggested the idea of keeping the $20 tournaments on a weekly basis, but every 4th week (for argument"s sake) have a $50 buy-in tourney that obviously has a bigger prize pool, but also is worth more points on the leaderboard.

That"s not a bad idea.

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2007, 23:01:36 PM »

I also think that $20 (+$2) is the right level for the target audience - Amateurs.

Its already been seconded - so "thirded"
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

Bodddders

• Gold Member
  • WCOAP Razz Champion 2008
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2007, 13:32:10 PM »

I agree the current buy-in amount is just right.
aka - Honeycroft on Blue Sq.
On-Line National Poker League - South London Team Captain

GAIGAN

• No Mail
  • JEET KUNE DO - created by BRUCE LEE
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2007, 21:44:40 PM »
I have to agree with you guys...$5 is much too low. I like the idea of a $20 + $2 & once a month maybe raising it to $50. GOOD THOUGHTS GUYS!  8)
"Using no way as way" & "Having no limitation as limitation"

waltypies

• Bronze Member
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2007, 16:20:40 PM »
$20 is fine for most players.

Obviously the players with bigger rollz would like to stake more (like myself) however catering for the masses is a must.  Therefore $20 seems bang on the mark.

I do like the idea of a $50 monthly game.  Hey maybe even a $100 one!!

swordfish

• Waiting for the great leap forwards
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2007, 16:33:08 PM »
I think the idea of a higher buy-in game monthly is a bad idea.  Bear in mind that everyone is playing for leaderboard points, not just hard cash.  So to have a game that excludes those who cannot afford a bigger buy-in means that the playing field is no longer level, as they would not be able to play for the points in that game.  I"m sure this is not what APAT would want.  $20 is a good number, most players can afford it, and the prizes are tasty enough when you get to the business end. 

The idea of having different levels for different bankrolls is a nice concept, but it"s just overcomplicating things.  The current setup seems to be working just fine IMO.

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2007, 16:56:48 PM »
I"m not wholly against the idea of scoring points off of a monthly $50 (or even $100, but definitely no more) tournament.

But if this was considered a problem then APAT could always run these monthly tournaments for APAT members only - but as non-championship, non-scoring events.
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

GAIGAN

• No Mail
  • JEET KUNE DO - created by BRUCE LEE
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2007, 19:24:26 PM »
The main reason I joined APAT was because the buy-ins are so reasonable. You have to consider something like this...I am not old, but a few years ago, I had a serious accident which prevents me from working. I basically live off of SOCIAL SECURITY which isn"t much. I play poker online to supplement my income. By raising the buy-ins to $100 would mean I couldn"t play. And I"m not the only one in this situation. I"ve organized tournies on other sites & alot of people had trouble playing with just a $5 or $10 buy-in. Please don"t take the attitude that, "Well, they shouldn"t be playing then." To some, it"s the only life they have.

GAIGAN
"Using no way as way" & "Having no limitation as limitation"

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2007, 22:11:15 PM »
No reason why a monthly $50 event couldn"t be completely separate from the main APAT series. 

It could be the FA Cup to the Premiership league.
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2007, 22:24:07 PM »

No reason why a monthly $50 event couldn"t be completely separate from the main APAT series. 

It could be the FA Cup to the Premiership league.

A knock out cup?

Sounds like a Heads Up Shootout tournament?
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341