Author Topic: was this correct ?  (Read 7593 times)

BOINGBLITZ

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
was this correct ?
« on: March 12, 2010, 02:39:58 AM »
Playing at the skypoker event in Luton last Saturday, I am in a hand when I make a raise and the guy on the button asks me how much I have got behind me ?
 Now in this situation, I NEVER answer, although I will make sure the guy has full view of my chips if he wishes to count them.
 What happened next surprised me. The dealer actually physically counted out my stack for him.Even though those chips were not yet across the line.
Is this correct ?? .......or was the dealer wrong to do so ??
LATVIAN O/L CHAMPION 2008.
WELSH O/L CHAMPION 2009
IRISH AMATEUR CHAMPION 2009, in memory of Bill Young
WELSH O/L PLO CHAMPION 2013
Bronze medalist 2009 & Captain 2010 ENGLAND team.
CAPTAIN 4-TIME O/L CHAMPS WALSALL / WEST MIDLANDS.
No.1 ranked Online 2009.
R-up Sth Euro O/L PLO 2010
3rd Pu

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
Re: was this correct ?
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2010, 04:38:21 AM »
Think the dealer can count as when you watch tv poker, people ask dealers for players chip counts regularly. As for physically touching them I don"t know but it would seem difficult if they weren"t allowed to!

I"m pretty sure that dealers aren"t allowed to count what"s in the pot in the middle though

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2010, 07:48:53 AM »
When asked - answer straight away with a lie to suit the situation  ;D

daveyb147

• Silver Member
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2010, 08:57:05 AM »
Dont think you have to tell him how much you have behind,,,,as long as your chips are all on show,,large chips easily seen etc,,,and i thought the dealer only counts your chips if you are all in,,,that is when you hear the players ask for a count.I have done as you did many times and dont recall the dealer touching my chips

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2010, 10:39:31 AM »
I think you"ve every right to find out exactly what a player has behind - and don"t think there"s anything wrong with the dealer couting the exact amount if asked.

shozboy1

• Silver Member
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2010, 11:27:06 AM »
if a player asks what you have behind, you dont have to answer. But the guy still has a right to know - which means the dealer has to count it down if necessary. He can do this regardless of chips being across the line.

An interesting point above though, can - if asked for a count - you lie about the amount? This could be seen as a high level move where you give them an answer to induce them to do something spazzy. Or it could be seen as breaking the rules???
WCOAP online final tablist 2009
WCOAP live 6 max final tablist 2010
Eng online final tablist 2011

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2010, 11:30:51 AM »

if a player asks what you have behind, you dont have to answer. But the guy still has a right to know - which means the dealer has to count it down if necessary. He can do this regardless of chips being across the line.

An interesting point above though, can - if asked for a count - you lie about the amount? This could be seen as a high level move where you give them an answer to induce them to do something spazzy. Or it could be seen as breaking the rules???

it would be the same as stacking a handful of high value chips out of sight - not the done thing.

shozboy1

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2010, 11:41:51 AM »
fair enough when you put it like that
WCOAP online final tablist 2009
WCOAP live 6 max final tablist 2010
Eng online final tablist 2011

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2010, 12:01:30 PM »

I think you"ve every right to find out exactly what a player has behind - and don"t think there"s anything wrong with the dealer couting the exact amount if asked.

Except on this occasion, the dealer wasn"t asked.

In general, I just show my properly stacked chips and say "this much" and let the V count them himself. If I"m asked for an exact count, I"ll provide one.

The dealer shouldn"t be counting them to my mind unless I"ve refused to do so...which I wouldn"t.

....but house rules differ, the dealer might have just been trying to move things along.
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2010, 12:28:26 PM »
if you aren"t gonna answer how much you have and the dealer doesn"t do it would you want the other player to come over and count your stack?

he is perfectly entitled to know how much you are playing behind
Looking forward to making my first day 2

AVFC.WILSON

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2010, 13:53:27 PM »

This  :)

BOINGBLITZ

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2010, 15:18:51 PM »
Interesting replies. The fact that my chips are on show means that the player surely can count them without the help of the dealer ?
I was quite surprised when the dealer reached over to the chips as I have never seen this happen before.
LATVIAN O/L CHAMPION 2008.
WELSH O/L CHAMPION 2009
IRISH AMATEUR CHAMPION 2009, in memory of Bill Young
WELSH O/L PLO CHAMPION 2013
Bronze medalist 2009 & Captain 2010 ENGLAND team.
CAPTAIN 4-TIME O/L CHAMPS WALSALL / WEST MIDLANDS.
No.1 ranked Online 2009.
R-up Sth Euro O/L PLO 2010
3rd Pu

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2010, 15:35:42 PM »

Interesting replies. The fact that my chips are on show means that the player surely can count them without the help of the dealer ?
I was quite surprised when the dealer reached over to the chips as I have never seen this happen before.

chips on show is one thing, but a player has the right to know exactly how much you"re holding, right down to the last chip....  that said, the dealer should never do anything here unless specifically requested to do so.

On a similar note, the rule that bugs me is that the dealer is not allowed to count down the pot - we have to figure out a value by counting..... don"t have to put up with that online! :)

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2010, 15:51:31 PM »
depending where he is on the table he may not be accurately able to see how much you have. Therefore if you are not going to oblige by simply telling how much you have then the best alternative is for the dealer to count it down on your behalf - don"t really see what problem you can have with it.
Looking forward to making my first day 2

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2010, 16:04:50 PM »

depending where he is on the table he may not be accurately able to see how much you have. Therefore if you are not going to oblige by simply telling how much you have then the best alternative is for the dealer to count it down on your behalf - don"t really see what problem you can have with it.

I don"t have a problem with a dealer counting them if HE"S asked to, I just don"t want him reaching into my stack without this request.

In any case the sequence should always be:

V: How much to you have behind?
H: This much (gesturing to properly stacked chips)
V: I"m sorry, I can"t see that far (should have gone to Specsavers)
H: No problem, I"ve got xxxxxx

Followed by

V: Thanks very much...I fold.

“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”