Author Topic: Best Laptop & Mobile Broadband for playing online  (Read 5050 times)

AceOnTheRiver

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Best Laptop & Mobile Broadband for playing online
« on: March 09, 2010, 20:22:30 PM »
2-part question this

I often find myself having to "book the laptop" for poker tourneys as me a the mrs share one at home so I am thinking of getting another - its principle function being poker.

I am no expert in these matters so wondered what advice people have - the one we use now is Dell and was about £600 in 2007 (It hasn"t let me down) but I would like to spend a lot less this time if poss.

My stepdad recently bought one for around £300 - his needs are different to mine but he designs buildings etc. so uses CAD therefore memory must be decent.

The 2nd part relates to mobile broadband i.e. once I have purchased said laptop there will be occassion when I need to travel with work and would like to take my laptop with me to play online - however this could be 3 times one month and none the next so I don"t want to be committed to something like £30 per month on top of what I already pay at home.

Any help much appreciated!!
@jpround on Twitter
Views are my own
"Do not protect yourself by a fence, but rather by your friends" Czech Proverb
"Where you find beer, you find good life" Another Czech Proverb

lukybugur

• Platinum Member
Re: Best Laptop & Mobile Broadband for playing online
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2010, 21:05:13 PM »
If you"re going cheap end, go for Samsung. Something like this should do you.

For a 3G dongle, 02 do decent deals - see here

If you know anyone with a business and BTBusiness Broadband, ask them if they use the 3G dongle they get with their package (most of them get discarded / stuffed back into the box and remain unused). They come with a 1GB / month transfer which would be more than enough for light use.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 21:08:37 PM by lukybugur »

AceOnTheRiver

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2010, 21:44:31 PM »
Thanks - I"ll have a look at those  :)
@jpround on Twitter
Views are my own
"Do not protect yourself by a fence, but rather by your friends" Czech Proverb
"Where you find beer, you find good life" Another Czech Proverb

CrizzyConnor

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2010, 17:59:33 PM »
I"ve got a pay as you go dongle from 3, it was supposed to be £30 but got it free when I bought my laptop from PC World. It"s pay as you go so obv the best solution to your problem. I have used it while on the nightshift a few times, only ever put £15 in it and it"s done me for the past month or so. I"ve used it for around 30hrs+ and it"s still got credit left in it, these sessions include poker online & streaming video but not downloading anything.
WCOAP 2009 Online Omaha Champion
WCOAP 2009 Online ME Final Tablist

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2010, 18:34:03 PM »
I bought a cheaper Dell in 2007, so you definitely don"t need as high a spec as you have.

I"ve got a Vodafone dongle for mobile broadband which has always worked fine for me.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

bear21

• Gold Member
  • Just Do It
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2010, 19:21:13 PM »
Bought a samsung notebook for the son from amazon for 219.00 at xmas and is just great for playing online, as was said before O2 are quite good also 3 but their signal can be a problem sometimes, in the end depends on your budget , if you just want to play poker get a notebook for around 200.00 mark, if you want to do a bit more then a laptop starts about 300.00 upwards, up to you ;)

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2010, 19:37:44 PM »
Got to say I"m not a fan of notebook poker

find that you can"t really multi table well as the screen only fits one table at tine

bear21

• Gold Member
  • Just Do It
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2010, 19:41:35 PM »
Yep can be a problem but depends on your budget , if you just want to play one tourney no problem but as you say multi table forget it lol ;D

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2010, 19:43:12 PM »

Got to say I"m not a fan of notebook poker

find that you can"t really multi table well as the screen only fits one table at tine

If it is for occasional use in the home get the missus to use the notebook - simples