Author Topic: JJ utg facing 3 bet  (Read 7981 times)

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
JJ utg facing 3 bet
« on: March 16, 2010, 02:52:58 AM »
I have been very active of late, they may be sick of it and its somewhat likely someone will play back at me.

No-Limit Hold'em Tournament, 75/150 Blinds (8 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

CO (t3139)
Button (t2595)
SB (t7290)
BB (t4377.50)
Hero (UTG) (t4531.25)
UTG+1 (t2270)
MP1 (t1205)
MP2 (t4687.75)

Hero"s M: 20.14

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J, J
Hero bets t393.75, UTG+1 raises t1100, 6 folds, Hero calls t706.25

Call is okay? As I write I Do"nt think so, villain has more than half his stack in and that"s probably stronger than had he shipped the lot.

Flop: (t2425) 3, K, 6 (2 players)
Hero bets t3431.25 (All-In), UTG+1 calls t1170 (All-In)

We may be ahead? may have a small amount of fold equity now, whereas we had none preflop? and we can"t conceivably fold, so betting > check calling?

"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: JJ utg facing 3 bet
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2010, 03:35:26 AM »
I reckon he is very strong, probably something like KK. You should have folded to the RR pre, so now we are set-mining on the flop.

No set and a K on flop. We are 100% behind here, if we weren"t before. I have him on KKK. Fold. Fold. Oh, you"ve gone all-in. Oh well, you"ll probably suck out anyway.
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2010, 06:50:43 AM »
« Last Edit: March 16, 2010, 07:26:42 AM by noble1 »

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2010, 07:20:19 AM »
Pretty annoying spot, but prob folding to the 3-bet pre unless I know villain is an idiot.  3-betting an UTG raise from UTG+1 usually means JJ is in a fair amount of trouble.  Even though you havew been active and opening a decent amount, I cnt see him 3-betting light here.

If villain had 3-bet a ton and had no concept of positional awareness then I just jam pre.

As played I think shove flop is better than c/c for the very small amount of f/e we may have picked up.
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2010, 08:40:14 AM »
Even though you"ve been active, it takes balls to 3 bet UTG+1.... or a very strong hand that has JJ crushed. Given he has half his stack in, there"s no point in calling oop preflop - he"s pot comitted anyway and it"s all going in on the flop.... and clearly you aren"t getting any implied odds to set mine.... it has to be shove or fold, but never call.    

I would fold preflop.

If this was the hand from last night"s sat..... what a sickener!

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2010, 09:01:59 AM »
meh i"d hate to fold JJ for less than 15bbs. I"d probably stick it, especially if we have been active and we have no specific read on villain.

As played you have to jam if you are going to proceed, can"t see any merits to calling whatsoever....however i don"t hate a fold - when you raise UTG and get 3bet by either the SB or UTG+1 it is usually a monster. I would also add that some players are not as positionally aware as we are though, so we can be guilty of giving too much respect.
Looking forward to making my first day 2

JamieCarra

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2010, 13:31:38 PM »
Fold > Shove > Call pre imo

shozboy1

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2010, 14:13:18 PM »
Is this a SNG or a tourney? Sorry to be thick. Couldn"t decipher this. Anyhow, given you"ve been active of late, I would err on side of shove all in preflop. Folding is 2nd best but not terrible, and calling is horrible.
I"m sure Noble can do the calcs better than me, but he can have only afew hands that have you crushed (QQ-AA) and many hands that you crush/flip with. I"m sure the maths would add up to a shove all in pfr.
Plus, he has 15bbs, there"s no room to call and "play poker" here.
WCOAP online final tablist 2009
WCOAP live 6 max final tablist 2010
Eng online final tablist 2011

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2010, 14:16:55 PM »

Is this a SNG or a tourney? Sorry to be thick. Couldn"t decipher this. Anyhow, given you"ve been active of late, I would err on side of shove all in preflop. Folding is 2nd best but not terrible, and calling is horrible.
I"m sure Noble can do the calcs better than me, but he can have only afew hands that have you crushed (QQ-AA) and many hands that you crush/flip with. I"m sure the maths would add up to a shove all in pfr.

It"s the latter stages of a satellite MTT - and I guess that does have relevance, and actually makes the fold an even more viable option

shozboy1

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2010, 14:21:48 PM »
If thats the case I"d fold all day, especially with 30BBs behind.
WCOAP online final tablist 2009
WCOAP live 6 max final tablist 2010
Eng online final tablist 2011

coprey

• Gold Member
  • SkinEm
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2010, 14:22:42 PM »

I reckon he is very strong, probably something like KK. You should have folded to the RR pre, so now we are set-mining on the flop.

No set and a K on flop. We are 100% behind here, if we weren"t before. I have him on KKK. Fold. Fold. Oh, you"ve gone all-in. Oh well, you"ll probably suck out anyway.

:D :D :D

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2010, 14:32:51 PM »

It"s the latter stages of a satellite MTT - and I guess that does have relevance, and actually makes the fold an even more viable option

blinds are 75/150 Steve so early to mid stage.
"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2010, 14:38:52 PM »

I dnt think there are "many hands" that we crush or flip with wen he 3-bets an utg raiser from utg+1.  Prob just QQ+, AK (not even sure he 3-bets all his AK hands in this spot but def a fair %).
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2010, 14:59:41 PM »

I dnt think there are "many hands" that we crush or flip with wen he 3-bets an utg raiser from utg+1.  Prob just QQ+, AK (not even sure he 3-bets all his AK hands in this spot but def a fair %).

Exactly. He"s rarely going to 3-bet with TT or less for half his stack with so many still to act behind - any raising action with a hand weaker than JJ (including AK) is usually likely to be a shove..... the 3-bet to half his stack kinda polarises his range to QQ+ (probably even tighter to specifically KK/AA)

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2010, 14:59:46 PM »
It is pretty spewy on my part to be honest. The deciding factors for my play were, Because I had been busy and I had folded to a 3 bet earlier, his range ought to be wider, Its a pretty fast structure and I still had a playable stack if I lose the hand. I reckoned the extra chips had effectively more worth than the potential loss.

Anyhow the hand played out.....

No-Limit Hold'em Tournament, 75/150 Blinds (8 handed) - Hold'em Manager Converter Tool from FlopTurnRiver.com

CO (t3139)
Button (t2595)
SB (t7290)
BB (t4377.50)
Hero (UTG) (t4531.25)
UTG+1 (t2270)
MP1 (t1205)
MP2 (t4687.75)

Hero"s M: 20.14

Preflop: Hero is UTG with J, J
Hero bets t393.75, UTG+1 raises t1100, 6 folds, Hero calls t706.25

Flop: (t2425) 3, K, 6 (2 players)
Hero bets t3431.25 (All-In), UTG+1 calls t1170 (All-In)

Turn: (t4765) J (2 players, 2 all-in)

River: (t4765) J (2 players, 2 all-in)

Total pot: t4765

Results:
Donkey had J, J (four of a kind, Jacks).
Aceonfifth ( poor B"stard) had K, K (full house, Kings over Jacks).
Outcome: Donkey won t4765

Now I know what the other end of a savage beat feels like.:-[ :-[ :-[ :-[

Disclaimer; No animals were hurt during or in the immediate aftermath of the playing of this hand.