Author Topic: First out in Swansea - Hand advice needed!  (Read 14085 times)

showdown

• Bronze Member
First out in Swansea - Hand advice needed!
« on: March 22, 2010, 15:42:59 PM »
Hi guys,

In my attempt to grow as a poker player I guess it"s to welcome advice or criticism regarding my play.  I was unlucky enough to be the first exit in Swansea in the amateur event and although steaming at how unlucky I felt at the time retrospectively I wonder If I could have gotten myself out of the hand on the river.  I"ll reply the hand below as best I can and welcome any comments....

Level 2 - 100/50

I"m on the button with AJ suited. 

A guy (I think David LLewelyn) who has only just joined the table after missing the first level raises to 300 from UTG+3.  There are two other callers and so I come along for the ride.

The flop is K 10 4 rainbow.  All players check around to me so I complete and take the free card.

Turn is a rainbow Q to give me the nuts.

Original raiser puts in 600, player 2 folds, player 3 calls the 600 and I make a raise to 1600.  Original raise then puts in an additional 1000 on top of my 1600.  Player 3 folds and I make it look like a tough decision and call to take it to the river.  The pot at this stage is 7150.

Question 1:  Should I have taken down the pot on the turn?  My thoughts on the turn were he possibly had AQ and with everyone checking the flop expected it to be good.  His min raise back to me however definitely had me confused.

The river is another 10.  The board reads K 10 4 Q 10

Prior to the river I had every intention of letting him hang himself but I didn"t obviously like the 10. 

He makes an insta-bet of 7000 when the 10 hits.  I"m sitting with 6700 behind me.

My thoughts (and this is where I hope to learn some things from you guys):

1. What does the min-raise on the turn suggest on a drawing board?
2. Should I be more in favour of doubling up early or consolodating with my remaining 6700?
3. Having no read as he"s just joined the table should I take the passive approach and fold?
4. For whatever reason I didn"t put him on KK or QQ so I felt my only danger hands were 44, Q10, K10.

Obviously I called and he showed K10. 

I think his pot bet on the river was the nail in my coffin as I felt a full-house in that spot would have value bet about 3k.  Hat"s off to him for having my brain in knots.

Apologies for the essay and all and any comments are welcome.  If I played it badly I would prefer to know and learn.  Thanks.

Leigh

daveyb147

• Silver Member
Re: First out in Swansea - Hand advice needed!
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 15:59:42 PM »
Well i think you are unlucky with the board pairing on the river and without going into to much detail,,once he raises on the turn,,i personally would be looking to take it down there and then,,he obviously wasnt scared of top pair,,so he either has a set,,2 pair,,,poss str8,,,or at worse a str8 draw,,,,i think i would av banged all in and basically said its your tourney life to catch me up or overtake me !!! easy said from my comfy chair i know lol

showdown

• Bronze Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 16:11:07 PM »
Why can"t poker decisions be easy!?  :)

pables

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • JACK7SUITED on Grosvenor
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 16:16:27 PM »
I was sat to your left Leigh and watched that painful hand, I was believe it or not willing you not to call that river and I agree with Dave you should have popped the turn, but we all make mistakes yours was just unfortunately at the APAT main event.  :(

Good luck at the next one........ :)

Ian
WCOAP online Omaha Bronze 2009
WCOAP Stud Gold 2010
UK Team championship 2011 individual Silver
WCOAP 2015 Team championship silver with IRELAND
WCOAP 2016 Irish silver
WCOAP 2018 PLO D/C Bracelet
WCOAP 2018 ROE silver
WCOAP 2019 Mix max Bracelet
European Team event 2019 Silver with team Ireland

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 16:17:26 PM »
checked multi-way and then he suddenly wakes up on the turn means he has a set usually, or same hand as you.

I suppose calling the small re raise on the flop is ok but i think i would have raised it bigger (say 2k) and then jammed over his reraise, because i usually have a fairly aggro image.

As played i think his hand is face up and is a fairly easy pass. I don"t think he is bluffing and he isn"t 3betting the flop with a bare ten.
Looking forward to making my first day 2

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 16:21:21 PM »
I"d have raised more on the turn. When it"s went 600,600 rather than a small raise I"m jamming it in. Don"t won"t someone with a set coming along in case the board pairs.

showdown

• Bronze Member
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2010, 16:23:40 PM »
Thing is when the river fell and I was ready to spring my trap and then he spoilt the party by putting me to the sword, I wasn"t sure whether I was talking myself into believing he had filled up and then of course I talked myself out of it, should have listened to the little guy who spoke first in my head!

When I think back now with a clear head, I ask myself what can he have on the turn that he wouldn"t bet for value on the river, either a total bluff or a monster.  Guess the call was partly about glory rather than common sense.

Hopefully London I can fold the first 2 levels and avoid any first exit woes :)

Laxie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2010, 16:24:30 PM »
Jamming the turn every day of the week and thinking it"s a chop if he calls.  Crying when he binks the river, but that"s poker.

As played, folding the river every day of the week.  Not risking my tourney once the board pairs.

cincicrappykid

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 16:25:16 PM »
i think u played the hand as u should if u just go allin every time a scare card comes u are never going to get any where u have nuts with no obvious re drw apart from board pairing ..... i think its obvious he has a set or 2 pair here u were just really unlucky on the river... not an easy fold there but i guess u sorta new he had f/h but made the call anyway , blinds still low 6k+ aint the end of the world fold and move on
GOLD NATIONAL ONLINE TEAM C/SHIP 09/10.  S1& 7 BCPC CHAMP/H/O Champ. BRONZE WCOAP 7 Card Stud 2009. BRONZE Scotish Online Omaha  2010 BRONZE Northern European NL  2010. APAT NATIONAL PUB CHAMPION 2011 SCOTTISH OMAHA  GOLD 2012. ECOAP SILVER WCOAP GOLD England Team 2013  National Online Champion 2013

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 16:28:28 PM »
also think posting the result of the hand affects people"s replies, so bear that in mind.
Looking forward to making my first day 2

fraac

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2010, 16:29:53 PM »
Mistake was made not reraising preflop.

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2010, 16:31:13 PM »
When he re pops your turn bet, then I would have been jamming. And then once he pushes on the river then it is a fairly easy lay down.
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

cincicrappykid

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2010, 16:38:05 PM »

early doors with aj ...mmmmmm prob got 2 people on pairs or slow rolling aq ak dont  think not a good idea here imo  
GOLD NATIONAL ONLINE TEAM C/SHIP 09/10.  S1& 7 BCPC CHAMP/H/O Champ. BRONZE WCOAP 7 Card Stud 2009. BRONZE Scotish Online Omaha  2010 BRONZE Northern European NL  2010. APAT NATIONAL PUB CHAMPION 2011 SCOTTISH OMAHA  GOLD 2012. ECOAP SILVER WCOAP GOLD England Team 2013  National Online Champion 2013

WASP

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2010, 16:40:20 PM »
Fold AJ at any time from any position even if they are both green
Rear of the year 1991
Pipe smoker of the year 1998

fraac

• Silver Member
« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2010, 16:54:50 PM »

early doors with aj ...mmmmmm prob got 2 people on pairs or slow rolling aq ak dont  think not a good idea here imo  

It doesn"t so much matter that you"re playing the bottom of your range, as you"re only showing your cards if you hit. The dead money, plus having position, plus not having to play 4-handed makes it a raise. Calling multiway with AJ is asking for this kind of result.