Author Topic: Pot Limit for the Pro League  (Read 3901 times)

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
Pot Limit for the Pro League
« on: March 22, 2010, 18:56:48 PM »
What was the feedback on this from the first Pro League encounter?

Did it make it a more skillful game?

I am ready to rock and roll for leg 2 in London, but was curious as to it being Pot Limit.

I look forward to thoughts.

Louis

WASP

• Silver Member
Re: Pot Limit for the Pro League
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2010, 20:03:43 PM »
The general feeling was it was OK but after a few hours it got a little repetitive and boring as the lllllaaags wanted to burn some felt but the limits were blocking this.  We actually tried to do a deal from 17 out and flip for the seat but were shamed out of it  ::)

PLHE is an OK game for cash games but it lacks the excitement of NL in tournies but the banter was excellent.  The dealers didn"t help as they were new to the game and after they stopped dealing four cards and using calculators for the pot they got better.

I liked it as my mates finished 1st and 2nd and I shipped percentages but I wont be rushing to play another unless it sells out or they change it to NLHE.

Rear of the year 1991
Pipe smoker of the year 1998

Sunseekers

• Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2010, 20:21:18 PM »
it was a good game until 400 800 level then with 15 players left with average stacks of 12500 it was do or die time after the dinner break, with only average 15 big blinds play got a bit ropey.

there was lots of play up to dinner break and then it was just pick a spot and shipit time. .

all in all it was a good game.

well done to the winner the wee little scottsman, he played a nutty game and deservely won it  :D

i canne make London due to holiday commitments, but see you all in Aberdeen for round 3.

giddy up
« Last Edit: March 22, 2010, 20:22:54 PM by Sunseekers »
2009 WCOAP PLO BRONZE
2010 WCOAP STUD BRONZE
2010 IRLAND BRONZE
2011 ooooops
2012 ECOAP STUD BRONZE

The Mole

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2010, 21:35:12 PM »
I was pleasantly surprised with pot limit as its not what i would normally play. It did not hinder my game at all ,if anything it made for more action. I got involved in a lot more hands as i knew no-one could just ship on me. Although i prefer NL this makes a nice change.

Im Interested what nutty plays are :)

WASP

• Silver Member
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2010, 21:50:18 PM »

I was pleasantly surprised with pot limit as its not what i would normally play. It did not hinder my game at all ,if anything it made for more action. I got involved in a lot more hands as i knew no-one could just ship on me. Although i prefer NL this makes a nice change.

sigh
Rear of the year 1991

The Mole

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2010, 21:58:30 PM »

sigh

Being adaptable is key as you can see by the result it seemed to suit the more skillfull players  :D

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2010, 03:08:44 AM »

I wont be rushing to play another unless it sells out or they change it to NLHE.

Is that because..............

Limit poker in any variant is a lot more skillful than NL
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

The Healer

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2010, 08:41:51 AM »

sigh

Being adaptable is key as you can see by the result it seemed to suit the more skillfull players  :D

Hi Stephen,is there any chance you can join the Glasgow Team for our League Games ?
The trouble with having an open mind, is that, someone will come along and insist on putting something in it

WASP

• Silver Member
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2010, 18:53:04 PM »

I wont be rushing to play another unless it sells out or they change it to NLHE.

No denying its more skilful John, as said above it was the structure and tedium that made it less exciting as NLHE and as you know I had to resort to cheating at the cash tables to get some fizz back into the evening  ;)
Rear of the year 1991

The Mole

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2010, 19:32:10 PM »

sigh

Hi Stephen,is there any chance you can join the Glasgow Team for our League Games ?

I"m afraid i can"t but thanx for the offer.

evilpie

• Silver Member
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2010, 15:36:00 PM »

No denying its more skilful John, as said above it was the structure and tedium that made it less exciting as NLHE and as you know I had to resort to cheating at the cash tables to get some fizz back into the evening  ;)

And cheating at dinner queues!!!!

evilpie

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2010, 15:38:09 PM »
I thought the pot limit worked quite well.

There aren"t many times when you want to be over betting the pot anyway and then it"s just down to adjusting your push/fold strategy if you get short.

Whether it"s more skillfull I honestly don"t know. Probably not imo. You have to adjust a little bit in the latter stages but that doesn"t take skill it just takes a brain.