Author Topic: Whats the right play here?  (Read 11410 times)

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
Whats the right play here?
« on: April 19, 2010, 17:18:51 PM »
1st hand if a pub league reginal final. 10 handed I know and I only know one person at the table. Starting stack of 7000 and blinds are 25/50

I"m on the button and a stranger opens for 550 in the hi jack. 1st hand for 11x bb  

I look down at JJ

What to do?

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Whats the right play here?
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 17:48:14 PM »
Fold.

you might be ahead, or you might not.... but you simply can"t flat call here, and raising commits you to the hand. no need to play a massive hand for your tourney life this early with a marginal pair.  Save your chips until you find a spot where you can exploit your edge.

WYoung83

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 19:53:14 PM »
 Ask him if he ment to do this donk raise. Humilate him a little bit, then ask him if he wants to play heads up cash..... :)
Then fold.

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 22:01:05 PM »
just jam and if you lose go to the bar
Looking forward to making my first day 2

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 22:04:38 PM »
I think fold pre here, but definitely ask about the raise. There is a chance this was a live "misclick"

I have to say, as its a pub freeroll, I"d be tempted to shove them in.

Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2010, 07:38:07 AM »
Shove shove shove for me - If he folds then there is just a massive amount of money to pick up for free, i think he calls with some worse hands (as Im assuming the quality is grim), ur racing with a lot of his stereotypical 11x opening raise.  If bust, ur in the right place.
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 08:39:09 AM »
I did fold

Have about a Years experience o these pub players now and it seems once their married to a hand they don"t give up

my thoughts were, I may be ahead but if an over card comes then it"s a tough predicament, is he overly aggressive with a small pair and he shoves the flop when he hit a set. Also what bet size am I facing on the turn?

I decided it wasn"t worth getting into tough predicaments without playing with the villians for a while yet

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2010, 11:32:41 AM »

I did fold

Have about a Years experience o these pub players now and it seems once their married to a hand they don"t give up

my thoughts were, I may be ahead but if an over card comes then it"s a tough predicament, is he overly aggressive with a small pair and he shoves the flop when he hit a set. Also what bet size am I facing on the turn?

I decided it wasn"t worth getting into tough predicaments without playing with the villians for a while yet

Once they are married to a hand they don;t give up = shove
I may be ahead but if an over card comes then it"s a tough predicament = shove
is he overly aggressive with a small pair = shove

All of the above points you use as an argument for folding, but I think ur reasoning is a bit off.  If all the above is true then Im pretty sure you shud be getting ur £ in.

I think it goes shove>3/b small>fold>>>>>>>>>>>>>>call

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2010, 12:46:48 PM »
too many nits ITT, what hands do you think he opens 11x with
Looking forward to making my first day 2

JamieCarra

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2010, 13:09:05 PM »
Make it 2000 - 2500 > Shove > Call > Stab yourself in the eye > Fold

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2010, 13:21:21 PM »

I did fold

All of the above points you use as an argument for folding, but I think ur reasoning is a bit off.  If all the above is true then Im pretty sure you shud be getting ur £ in.

Curious what range either of you assign to villain here and rationale for that range given no info on villains tendancies.

Also, payout and structure of tourney are important factors.
"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

JamieCarra

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2010, 13:29:13 PM »

I did fold

Curious what range either of you assign to villain here and rationale for that range given no info on villains tendancies.

Also, payout and structure of tourney are important factors.

Well I doubt he"s making it 550 with AA / KK / QQ.  I"d say his range is mostly small - mid pairs with lots of Ax hands.  ie we crush his range.

I"m guessing this isn"t going to be a well structured tourney so we can"t go passing up spots like this which are obviously +EV

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2010, 13:57:45 PM »

Well I doubt he"s making it 550 with AA / KK / QQ.  I"d say his range is mostly small - mid pairs with lots of Ax hands.  ie we crush his range.

I"m guessing this isn"t going to be a well structured tourney so we can"t go passing up spots like this which are obviously +EV

Intuitively, I would agree, but really, you can"t confidently nor totally rule them out either.
"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2010, 14:53:07 PM »

Intuitively, I would agree, but really, you can"t confidently nor totally rule them out either.

Defo can"t rule "em out in most pub games, where the standard is generally not great.
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2010, 15:20:40 PM »
Id say his 11x opening range from h/j is 22+ A2+ K9+ Q9+ J10.  Folding is way too nitty.  I hate flatting as well!

We cnt rule out QQ+, But:
a) they seem less likely w/ 11x.
b) they are part of a range which we crush.