Author Topic: APAT events in Europe  (Read 22534 times)

RioRodent

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
  • https://photos.app.goo.gl/VFDZrGk6jgyCUzRB2
Re: APAT events in Europe
« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2010, 16:48:46 PM »

Why is live streaming so important ?    There is no live streaming today ?

Well at the moment the cost of live streaming abroad is too expensive, in terms of getting the people across...and its not covered in the sponsorship agreement. Moving forward, it may be.

For the UK events, I think its definitely added a lot to people at home"s enjoyment of the events. It"s not "so important" per se but logically if done well and developed can help increase the media profile of APAT, thus increasing membership and "brand value" too.

Once we"ve decided to do a Pro league (and some disagree with this, I know), then its equally logical to support that with streaming rather than not cover it.

I look at the streaming stuff for EPTs, UKIPTs etc and I think it adds a lot to site content too.

I also question the benefits of live streaming... In my opinion there is nothing more boring than watching poker without being able to see the hole cards. Yes, I know the purists will say it"s good to try and put people on hands etc, etc... but as for entertainment value - it has none!

Also the live streaming is at the expense of the quality of the "live updates" on the forum... following both of the events that I have played this year my wife commented that the upadtes weren"t anything like as good as previous years.

As for the Euro events, as already stated they are in addition to the regular UK events - not in place of. Difficult to criticise that.
If you're not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space.

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: May 16, 2010, 16:52:04 PM »
Getting to Aberdeen is going to be just as expensive as Vienna or Barcelona (and more awkward). Please make next year"s Scottish somewhere accessible like Glasgow or Edinburgh.

When we last went to Austria 70 people went across from the UK.

More people would have gone this time if it was the only foreign one, but a lot are waiting for the Spanish one.

We have no tourney in Walsall or Birmingham this season

Good.
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

TightEnd

• Platinum Member
  • If Carlsberg did live updates, I'd be a lager
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2010, 16:52:42 PM »
Yes Alan, we know the updates suffer when live streams are alongside.

Difficult to do both and run the event, and something we have discussed already in the first few events of S4.

How to prioritise resources, who should commentate, should we commentate? etc etc

Should we even live update at all? Live stream only with a comments box? etc etc

All to be worked out

fraac

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: May 16, 2010, 16:55:43 PM »
Foreign stuff is awesome.

TightEnd

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2010, 16:57:00 PM »

Getting to Aberdeen is going to be just as expensive as Vienna or Barcelona (and more awkward). Please make next year"s Scottish somewhere accessible like Glasgow or Edinburgh.

More people would have gone this time if it was the only foreign one, but a lot are waiting for the Spanish one.

Good.

Glasgow. No event venue wanted us

Edinburgh. The Gala Maybury was extremely poor last year

Scotland is THE trickiest place to arrange.

I agree Glasgow and Edinburgh would be better for most, all other things being equal

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2010, 16:59:20 PM »

Should we even live update at all? Live stream only with a comments box? etc etc

I agree with Alan that the live streaming doesn"t really add that much benefit.

I think your above suggestion is the wrong way round, if anything I think the question should be, "Should we even live stream at all?"
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

TightEnd

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2010, 17:00:30 PM »

I agree with Alan that the live streaming doesn"t really add that much benefit.

I think your above suggestion is the wrong way round, if anything I think the question should be, "Should we even live stream at all?"

Yep, noted.

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2010, 17:00:51 PM »

I also question the benefits of live streaming... In my opinion there is nothing more boring than watching poker without being able to see the hole cards. Yes, I know the purists will say it"s good to try and put people on hands etc, etc... but as for entertainment value - it has none!

Apparently it was a pretty entertaining night in Duffs when they had it on the big screen during the London event. Quite a few players want to come to future APAT events as a result.
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

RioRodent

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2010, 17:05:33 PM »

Yes Alan, we know the updates suffer when live streams are alongside.

Difficult to do both and run the event, and something we have discussed already in the first few events of S4.

How to prioritise resources, who should commentate, should we commentate? etc etc

All to be worked out

I fully appreciate the reasons, I made the point more as an observation than a criticism.

RioRodent

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2010, 17:07:17 PM »

Getting to Aberdeen is going to be just as expensive as Vienna or Barcelona (and more awkward). Please make next year"s Scottish somewhere accessible like Glasgow or Edinburgh Northhampton.

Good.

FYP

Honeybadg

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2010, 17:08:47 PM »
Pro League - Saturday does suit me much better - though I think it being on Sunday does make more sense - especially with the current low numbers.

In terms of streaming - always fun - but for me shouldn"t drive the debate.

If the Pro League were moved to Sundays as per Aberdeen would players be allowed to enter the Saturday starting APAT event - play aggressively and then buy into the Sunday Pro League if they bust - could create distortions.

L

mike saban

• Silver Member
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2010, 17:12:24 PM »
I"m not going to be able to make many events if any this season due to other commitments, but I did manage to watch the live streaming from the last couple and thought it was great, ok so you couldnt see the cards but alot better than pressing F5 every few minutes, worked well imo.

Europe - hmm not sure, thought it was great when I saw the season schedule, but I suspose disappointing that I couldnt make it and more so when the first event was only supported by 8 regs. But at the end of the day theres what approx 180 playing in an APAT tourney outside of the UK so that has got to be measured as a success regardless of what the players nationalities are.

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2010, 17:18:20 PM »
read the OP but no replies (so apologies)

Firstly, there is a comp in coventry this season, so that covers the midlands tourney problem (if DTD in nottingham didn"t do so already). I know the organisation at Walsall last season was v poor and can understand APAT not wanting to go there again..

secondly, these European jaunts are just an add on to what we have already had in S3 (UK, English, Welsh, Scottish, Irish, European and Worlds) so the UK contingent of APAT aren"t really missing out.

I personally cant make any of the Euro trips, but still think they are a great idea and a good chance for our euro friends to learn about APAT and strengthen the organisation (if only in numbers)
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

Laxie

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2010, 17:21:22 PM »
They"re deffo great for APAT.  We"re all just jealous.  Especially after hearing the price of drink isn"t as bad as was earlier reported.   :D

WASP

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2010, 17:38:29 PM »
Isn"t Europe just another dimension? and I guess it was expected that these tournaments would be mainly played by the locals and a good way of spreading the word.  I think it would be far stranger if the tourney was full of 150 British and Irish APAT regs.  If I could make one I would definitely attend but I"m having problems freeing up any weekend at the moment.

As for the live updates I think they have been immense and Leigh and Tighty have done an excellent job of bringing us the news.  The update thread should really be there for cliffs, for people to post requests and forr interaction with the commentator, so the thread is what YOU make it.

Locations of UK events are never going to please everyone but I was at Walsall last year and it was dire (and Manchester is the worst G in the UK) so I think Coventry could be a welcome addition.  One thing that always gets me is there is a gang of players who regulary travel from the North East to events, always laughing, smiling and having a good time and there are also regular players from Scotland and Ireland they never complain about locations and they have the most travelling to do.
Rear of the year 1991
Pipe smoker of the year 1998