Author Topic: APAT events in Europe  (Read 22513 times)

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: APAT events in Europe
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2010, 18:07:32 PM »

this has to be a good thing for an organisation that wants to represent Amateur poker players worldwide as an association and as a live poker offer, with no registration fees (which stunned the Austrian players) added values, great structures.

APAT is a force for good, and not just in the UK

this, especially the bit in bold.

gerry5421

• Gold Member
    • Troon PC Tech
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2010, 19:26:56 PM »

Glasgow. No event venue wanted us

Edinburgh. The Gala Maybury was extremely poor last year

Scotland is THE trickiest place to arrange.

maybe that will change afer this year aberdeen being moved to international , i beleve Alea is owned by the same people maybe they would like us next year .

Gerry
Glasgow Club Captain Div 2 Champions 2011
http://www.apat.com/forum/index.php?topic=8298.0
APAT Scottish Online Championship 2010 Bronze

gerry5421

• Gold Member
    • Troon PC Tech
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2010, 19:32:40 PM »

Locations of UK events are never going to please everyone but I was at Walsall last year and it was dire (and Manchester is the worst G in the UK) so I think Coventry could be a welcome addition.  One thing that always gets me is there is a gang of players who regulary travel from the North East to events, always laughing, smiling and having a good time and there are also regular players from Scotland and Ireland they never complain about locations and they have the most travelling to do.

shame there isnt a DTD in every town lol , would love one up here in scotland
Gerry
Glasgow Club Captain Div 2 Champions 2011
http://www.apat.com/forum/index.php?topic=8298.0
APAT Scottish Online Championship 2010 Bronze

BOINGBLITZ

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2010, 21:02:26 PM »
From the general tone I guess I was in the minority then. Why not get rid of some of the English events in S4 so u can branch out into more countries ?
 Oh...... and does anyone care who won today ?
LATVIAN O/L CHAMPION 2008.
WELSH O/L CHAMPION 2009
IRISH AMATEUR CHAMPION 2009, in memory of Bill Young
WELSH O/L PLO CHAMPION 2013
Bronze medalist 2009 & Captain 2010 ENGLAND team.
CAPTAIN 4-TIME O/L CHAMPS WALSALL / WEST MIDLANDS.
No.1 ranked Online 2009.
R-up Sth Euro O/L PLO 2010
3rd Pu

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2010, 21:18:18 PM »

Why not get rid of some of the English events in S4 so u can branch out into more countries ?

Cant think of a good reason for getting rid of the present tourneys  - just good reasons for adding new ones in different countries

Oh...... and does anyone care who won today ?

Well I reckon. the winner, his friends and his family

In fact, similar groups of people to those who cared when you won in Ireland last year, Brian

Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

BOINGBLITZ

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2010, 00:00:51 AM »
Rob....we ALL rail these tourneys usually. Did anyone really care who won once Paul, Ger and the others went out ?. My guess is no......and for me that is a great shame.
 I just think these tourneys mark a change in APAT's direction, be it good or bad. I think it is bad.
LATVIAN O/L CHAMPION 2008.
WELSH O/L CHAMPION 2009
IRISH AMATEUR CHAMPION 2009, in memory of Bill Young
WELSH O/L PLO CHAMPION 2013
Bronze medalist 2009 & Captain 2010 ENGLAND team.
CAPTAIN 4-TIME O/L CHAMPS WALSALL / WEST MIDLANDS.
No.1 ranked Online 2009.
R-up Sth Euro O/L PLO 2010
3rd Pu

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2010, 00:12:53 AM »

Rob....we ALL rail these tourneys usually. Did anyone really care who won once Paul, Ger and the others went out ?. My guess is no......and for me that is a great shame.
 I just think these tourneys mark a change in APAT's direction, be it good or bad. I think it is bad.

Brian, granted that not too many of the current regulars were overly bothered about who won once our compratriots were knocked out, but I"m sure there were plenty of others who did care. So long as the current APAT community doesn"t suffer through a decrease in the volume of Nationals, expanding APAT into other territories is surely a good thing?  Next year, perhaps a bunch of Austrians will be watching out of the S5 announcements with the same anticipation that we did for S4, and maybe some will look to come to the UK to participate in those events that are local to you and I.

I think that keeping APAT as a UK exclusive community would not be good for Amateur poker. The concept of APAT is about bringing value poker to the masses for affordable buy in - but I thought it was also about standardisation of the game.... and to achieve that, it has to gain exposure beyond the UK shores.

Having this event in Vienna has not decreased the amount of local opportunity we"ve had compared to last season - so I can"t see how it can be a problem.

imo it"s all good.

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2010, 00:55:58 AM »

I think it is bad.

imo it"s all good.

imo it is irrelevant.

So long as the current APAT community doesn"t suffer through a decrease in the volume of Nationals, expanding APAT into other territories is surely a good thing?
Why?
I think that keeping APAT as a UK exclusive community would not be good for Amateur poker.
Why?
The concept of APAT is about bringing value poker to the masses for affordable buy in.
To tell you the truth, I don"t give a stuff whether the masses in Austria have value poker at an affordable buy-in.
Having this event in Vienna has not decreased the amount of local opportunity we"ve had compared to last season - so I can"t see how it can be a problem.
This is the crux, imo. I"m sure expansion is good for the APAT organisation. If the UK players get fewer tournaments as a result, it would be bad. If we are not affected it is irrelevant.
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

Waz1892

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2010, 08:02:49 AM »

This is the crux, imo. I"m sure expansion is good for the APAT organisation. If the UK players get fewer tournaments as a result, it would be bad. If we are not affected it is irrelevant.

The only slight downside to this would be the players vying for the leaderboard for the live league, and not getting the opportunity to play in all the games than other people could...so potential for the "elite" with bigger bankrolls, to have a better chance to win the whole league.  :-\
« Last Edit: May 17, 2010, 08:05:08 AM by Waz1892 »
Carpe Diem
Member of East of England Poker Club
Team member APAT forum 2013

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #39 on: May 17, 2010, 08:32:24 AM »

So long as the current APAT community doesn"t suffer through a decrease in the volume of Nationals, expanding APAT into other territories is surely a good thing?
Why?

APAT is an excellent concept. Why do you advocate keeping it UK only? Why not expand to other countries and share the benefits? If we araen"t careful here, we will start sounding American, where our sport is based entirely in our country but called the World Series. Poker is a global game..... there are Amateur poker players all over the world - let"s standardise Amateur poker using the APAT concept.   To answer your question with a question... why not?

I think that keeping APAT as a UK exclusive community would not be good for Amateur poker.
Why?

Again, to answer your question with a question..... why do you think it would be good to reserve all that is good about APAT for the UK only?

The concept of APAT is about bringing value poker to the masses for affordable buy in.
To tell you the truth, I don"t give a stuff whether the masses in Austria have value poker at an affordable buy-in.

A bit narrow minded?

Indeed, but actually not irrelevant if your are Austrian, Estonian, or Spanish!

John, I presume you enjoyed the European team game last year? Would have been a bit naff if it was UK countries only, don"t you think?   I bet we get Austrian representation this year.

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2010, 08:39:43 AM »

The only slight downside to this would be the players vying for the leaderboard for the live league, and not getting the opportunity to play in all the games than other people could...so potential for the "elite" with bigger bankrolls, to have a better chance to win the whole league.  :-\

I touched on that in my earlier response.

To play in every tournament, even if every tournament was only held in the UK, would be fairly expensive - I think most of the APAT membership membership couldn"t afford to do it (even if they could take time off work for the inevitable Friday and/or Mondays needed for travelling).

So yes, it does damage the set of players who could afford all the UK tournaments but not all the overseas ones as well - but that"s a pretty small minority and I don"t think restricting the geographical spread of the tour and the general growth of APAT just for those few players would really be fair.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

bear21

• Gold Member
  • Just Do It
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2010, 15:42:45 PM »
Just my two pence worth !
Not bothered if we have european games in other countries as long as we don"t lose any games in the UK, which this season hasn"t happened ( well done Betfair ) I can"t afford to play in any euro games due to cost  which I think is also the majority of Apaters ??, My only gripe is the PRO league which is effecting the amount of players that cant play the normal tourneys, we should either get rid of this or somehow change the dates etc ?? so that more of us can play, its a good idea but annoying when you cant get a seat due to numbers being reduced ! Also from the number of players playing the pro doesn"t seem to be a big hit yet !!

daveyb147

• Silver Member
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2010, 16:56:24 PM »

Just my two pence worth !
Not bothered if we have european games in other countries as long as we don"t lose any games in the UK, which this season hasn"t happened ( well done Betfair ) I can"t afford to play in any euro games due to cost  which I think is also the majority of Apaters ??, My only gripe is the PRO league which is effecting the amount of players that cant play the normal tourneys, we should either get rid of this or somehow change the dates etc ?? so that more of us can play, its a good idea but annoying when you cant get a seat due to numbers being reduced ! Also from the number of players playing the pro doesn"t seem to be a big hit yet !!

Wise words !!!! not a fan of the pro league,,,,main event all day long for me lol,,,,,oh and for wot its worth i like the live streaming,,,,,watched the welsh all day long !!!!!

KarmaDope

• Platinum Member
  • The Groom
    • Blonde Forum
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2010, 17:47:18 PM »
Many different points brought up here, some good, some not so good imo but that"s MY opinion.

Pro League: Detracts too much from APAT. APAT is an AMATEUR tour, it says so in the title, so why do we have a "Pro League"? I think the Pro-Am events that were held in earlier seasons would be more suitable.

Live Streaming: The live streaming is a good addition but I disagree with people that seem to be hinting to focus on one or the other. On Day 1, Nutz TV tend to focus on one table and there are 19 other tables that would be missed if we focused on streaming rather than text based updates. The text updates are definitely still needed.

We haven"t lost any dates in the UK this season so I don"t really understand why people are complaining. Personally, I"d abandon the whole "Live League" concept as this can put a few people off, and then the money saved from that could be used to either enhance the current tournament offerings or have an extra tournament?

[IMG=http://www.vegasmessageboard.com/countdown/countdown.php?c=purple&f=3&y=2013&m=11&d=12&h=18&mi=20&o=0&p=1][/img]

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2010, 17:51:35 PM »

APAT is an excellent concept. Why do you advocate keeping it UK only?

why do you think it would be good to reserve all that is good about APAT for the UK only?

Any other views of mine you want to imagine, cos you imagined both of those. Talk about putting words in someone"s mouth - I"ll get Adam "Don"t tell me what I think" Boulton to sort you out.

I"m not in favour of European events, but I"m not against them either - I"m indifferent about them. I guess whoever goes to Spain will have a great time, and we have the option to go to the others, so that would make me a bit in favour. Also, if it strengthens APAT, we may benefit indirectly. Apart from that though, they don"t have any effect on us, so I don"t see them as a problem, but I don"t see them as part of a mission to spread great poker structures round the world either.

A bit narrow minded?

Don"t see why. Are you really interested in whether players in every country in the world have a good structure, etc? I don"t believe it. Why stop at Austria if you are so concerned about it? Let"s do our bit to make sure that the players in Turkey have good overlays. And are there enough deep-stacked tournaments in The Philippines? It"s not our issue to sort out.

The concept of APAT is about bringing value poker to the masses for affordable buy in - but I thought it was also about standardisation of the game.... and to achieve that, it has to gain exposure beyond the UK shores.

I wasn"t aware that standardising the rules throughout the world was one of the purposes of APAT. First I"ve heard of it.

Indeed, but actually not irrelevant if your are Austrian, Estonian, or Spanish!

I"m not.

John, I presume you enjoyed the European team game last year? Would have been a bit naff if it was UK countries only, don"t you think?

Eh? Bit of a non-sequitur.

I"m not sure how we"ve got into this Steve, as I"m not opposed to your view. Good luck with your mission for world peace.

5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013