Author Topic: S4 WCOAP World Amateur Team Championship 2010  (Read 51756 times)

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
Re: WCOAP World Amateur Team Championship 2010
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2010, 09:44:22 AM »
Ranking points this year over such a small sample is just a crazy way of awarding points. Have the Poles scored any points at all? What about the Hungarians? Only the home countries I would suggest have enough points scorers to make it viable, and even then is unfair, apart from the fact that Steve has no points so should be axed! ;)
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

ian.ski309

• Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2010, 09:50:53 AM »

Ranking points this year over such a small sample is just a crazy way of awarding points. Have the Poles scored any points at all?

I"m pretty sure that none of the four of us have any points so far. I shall watch this thread with interest...  ;)
APAT European Team Championships 2009 - Gold Medal

"The gambling known as business looks with austere disfavor upon the business known as gambling." - Ambrose Pierce

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2010, 14:03:18 PM »

I strongly agree with with Stuarts point, The ranking points are over such a small sample as to be a meaningless indication of playing ability. Also, the Team Championship format is vastly different to those included in the ranking system and thus calls for a very different and specific player type.

Damn, thought the rankings were going to force me in by default but it looks like the Captain has other ideas...........

You know who the Captain is John.
"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

fraac

• Silver Member
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2010, 14:22:59 PM »

It doesn"t seem right to me to be forcing selection based on rankings at such an early stage in the season......

[I think last year"s rankings should be taken into account though  :D ]

I agree with the comment in parenthesis with the grinny face.

daveyb147

• Silver Member
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2010, 16:33:16 PM »
difficult one this,,,,i see wot you are saying with regard not enough events played for the rankings to be a major factor but on the other hand i dont see how a captain can know the poker abilities of every apat player at their disposal,,,maybe next year if there are not many events played before the team event  it should be the previous season rankings that count toward selection,,,,one live nat ranking winner ,,one online ranking winner,,and 2 picks maybe ???

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2010, 17:00:48 PM »

difficult one this,,,,i see wot you are saying with regard not enough events played for the rankings to be a major factor but on the other hand i dont see how a captain can know the poker abilities of every apat player at their disposal,,,maybe next year if there are not many events played before the team event  it should be the previous season rankings that count toward selection,,,,one live nat ranking winner ,,one online ranking winner,,and 2 picks maybe ???

Not all teams will have a live and online winner to pick
"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

rejmak

• Silver Member
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2010, 19:45:27 PM »

Des,

Why are the current champions Poland not defending their crown?

Who said we dont?????

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2010, 20:28:43 PM »

Stuart, your points are very valid and we"re certainly willing as always to listen to feedback on this.  Ultimately I would want to ensure we can continue to incentivise players to play APAT National events and this is one very good way to do so.  We"ll await further feedback before finalising the position.

Then could it be set now for S5 that national events and points standing at the end of S4 will dictate some Team positions next year.  Everyone knows the score...so you have the incentivisation (its a word!) your looking for, but without closing the door for this years selection, with it being unannouced, and only possible to include the small sample of events so far.

This would be a good option.

Should we also not consider the online rankings, pro league rankings and National League points. Not all APAT players can play a large number of the National events.

Also, given that the format of the team event includes a fair proportion of HU games should performance in that area not be considered. We now have a HU event on the APAT schedule and strong showing at that may influence a captain.

All things considered I think any proposal to remove the freedom from captains to choose who they think gives their team the best chance of winning is only taking away from the role.

Speaking as a previous non-playing captain, the freedom of choice was the most challenging part of the job but one which IMO needs to remain.

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2010, 20:32:26 PM »

Stuart, your points are very valid and we"re certainly willing as always to listen to feedback on this.  Ultimately I would want to ensure we can continue to incentivise players to play APAT National events and this is one very good way to do so.  We"ll await further feedback before finalising the position.

Thanks Des, I see where you are coming from.

I personally think the incentives to play the national events are already there. If you want to increase them would it not be more appropriate to offer positions in the APAT team at the UK Team Championship?

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2010, 22:09:14 PM »

Also, given that the format of the team event includes a fair proportion of HU games should performance in that area not be considered. We now have a HU event on the APAT schedule and strong showing at that may influence a captain.

That"ll be a neat trick, as this year"s teams are barred from it:

2. Can players in this event enter into the HU and Stud events? No, the events clash

While you"re reconsidering various things, you gotta reconsider this. Apparently, the most prestigious side-event (imo) is off-limits to anyone picked for the national teams. I don"t think there should be a problem with playing both. Most of the team event involves hanging around waiting for your turn. Jumping across for the odd HU shouldn"t present an issue. It may happen that a HU has to wait for a while, but mostly it wouldn"t happen and anyway so what? Knock-on effects would be negligible. So that"s agreed then?
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

fraac

• Silver Member
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2010, 22:33:27 PM »
If you want to increase them would it not be more appropriate to offer positions in the APAT team at the UK Team Championship?

really good idea, imo

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2010, 22:39:13 PM »

That"ll be a neat trick, as this year"s teams are barred from it:

What I meant John was that someone doing well in the event this year may be considered for next year.
Also in future seasons the HU may take place before the team event.

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2010, 23:38:09 PM »
Looks pretty tight in the points race for places on the Austrian team!
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

Shogun112

• No Mail
  • Gold Member
  • www.rooms-direct.co.uk
    • www.rooms-direct.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2010, 10:51:59 AM »
Am I right in thinking that myself and Don Roberts, being the top 2 English guys from the current Live rankings, are to be in the English team?
www.rooms-direct.co.uk if you want some discount email me and tell me you are from APAT.

zzBlizzardzz

• Silver Member
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2010, 11:00:45 AM »

Am I right in thinking that myself and Don Roberts, being the top 2 English guys from the current Live rankings, are to be in the English team?

I can"t see why one if the top 2 English poker players would be excluded from Team GB. Wouldn"t make any sense.
Team Canada Captain 2010 Silver Medalists