Author Topic: Folding Kings pre flop  (Read 42478 times)

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
Re: Folding Kings pre flop
« Reply #30 on: November 05, 2007, 17:42:58 PM »

I then laid down top pair against Kinboshi, I said he had nothing but he priced me out so I laid "em down, he actually had trip 2s! Complete mis read but the correct lay down!
Oh how the poker gods do use us for their sport.

I knew I should have just called the turn.  But I think the call would have aroused your suspicions anyway.   Why couldn"t you have fallen in love with your top pair and then re-popped me for all your chips?

;D
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: November 05, 2007, 18:57:38 PM »
If I remember rightly, I didn"t have that many!!!
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

ThinkerJE

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
  • To be the man you have to beat the man
« Reply #32 on: November 05, 2007, 22:24:02 PM »

By the way James, loved your 2,000 bet at the 400-800 level (or thereabouts) leaving you with 500 behind.  Genius.

It was actually 1,000-2,000 blinds and I only had 2,500 left.  I saw an ace and thought I would have a bit of fun by just limping and keeping 500 back.  Was not to be...

ThinkerJE

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: November 05, 2007, 22:30:17 PM »

I folded QQ v AA in the Scottish APAT last season on a JT3 flop.  Would have folded KK too.  Trusted my read then.

That was the last hand before the dinner break. It wasn"t an all-in bet though. 

I was at the same same table and saw this first hand.

THE SINGLE GREATEST LAYDOWN I HAVE EVER SEEN!!!

ThinkerJE

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #34 on: November 05, 2007, 22:36:23 PM »
My thinking on this is that it is too much risk to take so early in a deep stack tournament.  With no prior knowledge I give credit to my opponent and pass.  If he has a single ace I am only 70%, and if I double up so early the relevent value of the extra chips does not outweigh busting out.  To win the tournament you have reach the final table first, again insta fold for me.

APAT

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT Poker Association & Tour
« Reply #35 on: November 05, 2007, 23:38:18 PM »
I"m putting all my chips, car keys, drinks tab, diary, wife and "clickfest on" button into the middle on a pair of kings pre-flop. 

Perhaps this is why I don"t get to play events any more!  :D

asarge

• Silver Member
« Reply #36 on: November 05, 2007, 23:57:36 PM »
i would just have to call here.
no matter how early it is and how far you come. you gona have real bad luck to come up against AA in first level. so i would have to call. just feel a loose player would make the same allin bet on QQ which you would then be favorite.
more than likely to double up so early and start bullying.
never put kings down pre-flop!!

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #37 on: November 06, 2007, 09:26:04 AM »

i would just have to call here.
no matter how early it is and how far you come. you gona have real bad luck to come up against AA in first level. so i would have to call. just feel a loose player would make the same allin bet on QQ which you would then be favorite.
more than likely to double up so early and start bullying.
never put kings down pre-flop!!

Why is it unlucky?  Although I think me and James are actually in a minority advocating the fold here, I am truly surprised that people would be pushing all-in preflop here with anything but AA.  You simply don"t know if they"re loose, scared, a skilled player, an absolute novice.  But in all of those cases, AA is still very likely.  I guess I"m giving people too much credit.

Like I said, in a short-stack tournament - it"s in instacall.  Deep-stack, don"t really see the point. 

Watch out in the next APAT event if I push early doors pre-flop.  Especially if you have KK.  Please call.

"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

H-Man81

• Silver Member
« Reply #38 on: November 06, 2007, 11:48:57 AM »
I"ll throw my 10c in and lodge myself firmly in the Kin/Thinker JE school of thought.  In a deepstack tournament like the APAT nationals this is a 100% fold for me.  I"m there to play some poker and risking your whole tournament on the first hand to me is nothing short of ridiculous.  Even if I 100% knew the guy was pushing with AK, I"m not risking my entire tournament when I"ll lose the hand 30% of the time.  I"m there to win and do as well as I can but like everyone else on this forum, I"m an amateur so I play for enjoyment as well.  I get no enjoyment out of calling all my chips first hand, even if it will, in the majority of cases, double me up.

Buck Pete

• Bronze Member
« Reply #39 on: November 06, 2007, 12:26:57 PM »

I"ll throw my 10c in and lodge myself firmly in the Kin/Thinker JE school of thought.  In a deepstack tournament like the APAT nationals this is a 100% fold for me.  I"m there to play some poker and risking your whole tournament on the first hand to me is nothing short of ridiculous. 

Try telling that to players like Lawrence Gosney who has won a WSOP bracelet.

They will take huge risks at the start of a tournement to establish a healthy stack to enable them to captain a table.

So what happens late in day 1 when your stack is so low and you pick up KK? You"d still push i am 99.9% certain.

If you run into AA the results are the same except you get home much later.

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #40 on: November 06, 2007, 12:35:16 PM »
... you don"t have to captain a table to win.

In fact if you haven"t naturally got the skills to do so you"re more likely to just donk off all those extra chips trying to do so.

But in a slight amendment to my previous acceptance of the folding in a deep stack tournament idea, I would add that while I think that is what I should do because that would be the best thing for me - if you are good enough to do a lot of damage with a big stack then maybe it would be best for you to take the risk early on.

But I think for most people the extra chips early on won"t make any significant difference to the rest of their tournament so it isn"t worth the risk.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

H-Man81

• Silver Member
« Reply #41 on: November 06, 2007, 12:39:02 PM »

I"ll throw my 10c in and lodge myself firmly in the Kin/Thinker JE school of thought.  In a deepstack tournament like the APAT nationals this is a 100% fold for me.  I"m there to play some poker and risking your whole tournament on the first hand to me is nothing short of ridiculous. 

Try telling that to players like Lawrence Gosney who has won a WSOP bracelet.

They will take huge risks at the start of a tournement to establish a healthy stack to enable them to captain a table.

So what happens late in day 1 when your stack is so low and you pick up KK? You"d still push i am 99.9% certain.

If you run into AA the results are the same except you get home much later.

If I"m a professional player, who"s income is derived from Poker or money doesn"t matter and it"s all about the glory, then I am calling 100% of the time.  However I am not a professional player and contrary to some of the miserable gits I see sitting at a poker table, I play for enjoyment and for the love of the game.  Any money I win from poker is great but I would still play in these tournaments if it was prizes rather than money (may be in the minority here  ;)  If I have played for seven hours and my Kings run into Aces pre-flop and I bust out of a tournament, then fair enough, I"ve played some poker (hopefully some really good poker!) and got my money"s worth.  Getting knocked out first hand (regardless of odds, value etc etc) is not enjoyable as far as I"m concerned!

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #42 on: November 06, 2007, 13:21:55 PM »

(dont know if you seen the hand AA VS KK VS QQ  if you havent youtube it ...it is really sick)

I was dealing at the manchester regional and managed to deal that scenario. No classy lay downs here though and the AA held up.
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

Buck Pete

• Bronze Member
« Reply #43 on: November 06, 2007, 13:29:02 PM »
If someone is going to lay down KK in the face of every re-raise they must also be prepared to lay down QQ,JJ,AK,AQ

So in effect they are only comfortable playing AA

I"m sorry, but premium hands just don"t come round enough to play that type of game.

Don"t fancy sitting 8 hrs getting blinded out waiting for AA.

Lets face it we can never be 100% sure what our opponent holds can we?

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2007, 13:34:31 PM »

If someone is going to lay down KK in the face of every re-raise they must also be prepared to lay down QQ,JJ,AK,AQ

So in effect they are only comfortable playing AA

I"m sorry, but premium hands just don"t come round enough to play that type of game.

Don"t fancy sitting 8 hrs getting blinded out waiting for AA.

Lets face it we can never be 100% sure what our opponent holds can we?

I think an all in re-raise is a bit different to a reraise?
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341