Author Topic: Folding Kings pre flop  (Read 42454 times)

HaworthBantam

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
Re: Folding Kings pre flop
« Reply #60 on: November 08, 2007, 22:42:54 PM »

I"d call with AA-1010 AKs+o, AQs and maybe worse because I"d be trying to avoid being short stacked and be prepared to risk going out to do that.

This is probably incorrect though and its maybe call with AA or KK only.

You"ve selected pretty much the range I had chosen as well. 

When I asked this on the blondepoker forum, some said that I should be calling with a far wider range in order to double up.  Others said I should do my utmost to avoid calling and and look to raise or even shove when I get the opportunity to be first or second into a pot.

I think I"d open my range up a little for this player as well, so long as it"s been folded round to this player before he pushes - any pair, any two picture cards. BUT, obviously, I would prefer to be the one pushing and putting the decision to someone else.

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #61 on: November 08, 2007, 23:25:00 PM »
I absolutely wanted to be pushing.  I just wasn"t getting the opportunity on a table full of mad Scandies - some with large stacks.

Hate calling all-in, but had to in the end.  
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

Bodddders

• Gold Member
  • WCOAP Razz Champion 2008
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2007, 00:27:25 AM »
Can you ever lay them down (KK)  Last 15 of tonights Online Tourney. I have about 67000 in chips (about average). Get KK UTG raise 3x BB to 12000, SB reraises to 36000. I call (if an ace comes on the flop then I can lay it down).

Flop 4-2-7, I think, SB goes all in and has me covered. Do you call?

You can probably guess what I did, but what would you do.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2007, 00:30:08 AM by Bodddders »
aka - Honeycroft on Blue Sq.
On-Line National Poker League - South London Team Captain

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2007, 09:17:18 AM »

Can you ever lay them down (KK)  Last 15 of tonights Online Tourney. I have about 67000 in chips (about average). Get KK UTG raise 3x BB to 12000, SB reraises to 36000. I call (if an ace comes on the flop then I can lay it down).

Flop 4-2-7, I think, SB goes all in and has me covered. Do you call?

You can probably guess what I did, but what would you do.

I shove pre-flop there, but I also see the merits of calling seeing a flop without an ace and then getting my chips in.

I"m not folding there.  His range is huge.  Of course it could include 44, 22, 77 and AA, but also TT, JJ, QQ, and even AK (although more unlikely and I would have thought they"d have wanted to get the chips in preflop or play more cautiously on a flop like that).

More I look at it, the more I want to get my chips in pre-flop.

Bodddders

• Gold Member
  • WCOAP Razz Champion 2008
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2007, 13:08:56 PM »
Pushing pre-flop was an option but I saw a chance to get a lot of chips by just calling his re-raise. Trying to disguise the strength of my hand. Once he went all-in on the raggy flop I thought aces!. Then I rationalised that if he indeed did have the pocket rockets why would he push, so I put him on JJ or QQ and called.
Of course he turned over AA and that was that. Nearly 4 and half hours of grind for a $10 profit. Don"t you just love poker.
aka - Honeycroft on Blue Sq.
On-Line National Poker League - South London Team Captain

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2007, 13:36:44 PM »

Pushing pre-flop was an option but I saw a chance to get a lot of chips by just calling his re-raise. Trying to disguise the strength of my hand. Once he went all-in on the raggy flop I thought aces!. Then I rationalised that if he indeed did have the pocket rockets why would he push, so I put him on JJ or QQ and called.
Of course he turned over AA and that was that. Nearly 4 and half hours of grind for a $10 profit. Don"t you just love poker.

This is how poker ideas develop - I think shoving all in with Aces when you"ve still got plenty of chips is becoming more prevalent as not only are some players so bad that they will call any all in with a marginal hand, but because some players are good enough to rationalise that it means you " can"t " have aces.

I think you"d have to have some very detailed stats to know whether this was a long term way of maximising your profits, but it is certainly a way to play aces which can win you a lot of chips.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

Shy Talk

• Bronze Member
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2007, 14:34:31 PM »
Regarding KK - maybe you could tell me what you would have done in my place last week at Walsall.
Last hand before dinner - got KK - raised to 2000 (blinds 300-600) - bb called (had shown earlier he knocked people off hands by going all-in several times - mainly with the inferior hand) - flop all low with two diamonds - he pushes all-in - I call and he has 10 Q diamonds (fishing!!!!) - turn is diamond (of course!) and my only hope is another diamond to give the bigger flush, which doesn"t of course happen.

Did I play this "right" or should I
a) have raised more or
b) folded to the all-in ?

:-\
2011 APAT UK Pub Poker Team Champions _ Edgworth CC

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2007, 15:12:02 PM »
pre flop raise was fine

he got lucky, you didn"t. Dont think you can fold when you are ahead against most of his post flop push hands.
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

HaworthBantam

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2007, 15:14:50 PM »

Regarding KK - maybe you could tell me what you would have done in my place last week at Walsall.
Last hand before dinner - got KK - raised to 2000 (blinds 300-600) - bb called (had shown earlier he knocked people off hands by going all-in several times - mainly with the inferior hand) - flop all low with two diamonds - he pushes all-in - I call and he has 10 Q diamonds (fishing!!!!) - turn is diamond (of course!) and my only hope is another diamond to give the bigger flush, which doesn"t of course happen.

a) have raised more or

Can"t see that you did anything wrong - you raised at least 3x BB pre flop and got your money in whilst ahead post flop, what more can you do ?

I would also have to say that his action of strongly betting a flush draw isn"t wrong either. After all, he wasn"t to know that you were holding Kings.

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2007, 15:15:09 PM »

a) have raised more or

How many chips were your all ins?
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2007, 16:37:00 PM »
Was about to ask.  The stack sizes are vitally important here.

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2007, 12:07:49 PM »
If we had a 150/300 level I would fold.  ::)

Due to the immenent pressure of the 200/400 level I call to try and get 20k
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2007, 12:13:45 PM »

If we had a 150/300 level I would fold.  ::)

Due to the immenent pressure of the 200/400 level I call to try and get 20k

We DO have a 150/300 level.

;D

500 / 1,000 is the next campaign...then antes.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2007, 12:41:00 PM by Kinboshi »

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2007, 12:45:40 PM »
OMG life tilt- I missed the first APAT event with a 150/300 level  :o
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

Shy Talk

• Bronze Member
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2007, 18:32:25 PM »
Thanks for the replies - I had 5700 left after the 2000 raise and he had a little more - thought I was ahead (which I was) but........

:D
2011 APAT UK Pub Poker Team Champions _ Edgworth CC