Author Topic: Thoughts on this hand?  (Read 5989 times)

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
Thoughts on this hand?
« on: July 07, 2010, 09:55:17 AM »
Just come on to this cash table ( six handed 25/50c), after being dumped out of 2 SNGs in 10 minutes when my boat was trumped by a bigger one, and my trip 9s were out kicked by a better trip 9s, so slightly tilting!!
Second or third hand so no reads I am dealt pocket Jacks in MP, I raise to $1.50, everyone else folds to the BB who makes up.
Flop KJ8 rainbow, he leads out with $3.50, I raise to $7, He pushes for approx $45, and has me covered.
I pretty much snap call, scared of set of Kings,or AK, but not really as surely he would have re raised pre, or maybe a set of eights.
Anyway he flips over K8 for two pair, and binks a K on the turn.
Just wondered what peoples thoughts were on the way the hand was played by both of us, I have a few thoughts.
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
Re: Thoughts on this hand?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2010, 10:01:43 AM »
I hate min-raises with a vengeance and although the hand pretty much plays itself I do think that a decent raise to $20 might have given him a little more pause for thought.

With these beats I just type in NH, WP, GG, GFY!  :"(
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2010, 10:34:33 AM »
Mikey - always wanting to get it all in on the flop when playing only 100xBB deep and holding middle set. 

Sorry but you know this already.... feels like a bad beat post rather than an academy post :)

cincicrappykid

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2010, 10:44:38 AM »
50p  played itself and u no it
GOLD NATIONAL ONLINE TEAM C/SHIP 09/10.  S1& 7 BCPC CHAMP/H/O Champ. BRONZE WCOAP 7 Card Stud 2009. BRONZE Scotish Online Omaha  2010 BRONZE Northern European NL  2010. APAT NATIONAL PUB CHAMPION 2011 SCOTTISH OMAHA  GOLD 2012. ECOAP SILVER WCOAP GOLD England Team 2013  National Online Champion 2013

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2010, 10:58:47 AM »
def 50p, but dnt min-raise flop, it achieved little.  Make it ~$10.  This way you get to build a pot, still leave the illusion of f/e, and also get to use this in the future to bluff a bit smaller.  
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2010, 11:23:51 AM »

def 50p, but dnt min-raise flop, it achieved little.  Make it ~$10.  This way you get to build a pot, still leave the illusion of f/e, and also get to use this in the future to bluff a bit smaller. 

I agree, and also would have raised more.... however, to play devil"s advocate, in this instance the bet size was irrelevent as it was all going in whether he min-raised, shoved all in, or bet anywhere in between.  As to being able to bluff cheaply in future.... he"s just been seen to min-raise with the second nuts, so surely next time he min-raises the flop with air, he is likely to get some sort of respect from observant players, and a barrel on the turn is going to look super-strong.

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2010, 11:54:53 AM »
Very true Steve, but I think the purpose of making it bigger is to balance the line.  We want our bet-sizing to be the same w/ air and nuts on the flop here, so by raising bigger we get more value from our good hands, and still can rep strong hands for a reduced price in later hands.
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2010, 12:12:39 PM »
come on mikey - keep the bad beats out of the strategy board. You got your money in as a massive favourite and lost.

FWIW - I"d raise more pre and raise more on the flop

.....and I"d run better on the turn and river

ul fella
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010, 15:04:09 PM »
Thanks guys, it wasn"t a bad beat story, I genuinely wanted to see how you guys would have played it. And the consenus seems to be that I should have re raised more, so you see I did learn something! But yeah it was sick. ;)
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2010, 15:26:21 PM »

Thanks guys, yes it was a thinly disguised bad beat story, I genuinely wanted you guys to share my pain. And the consenus seems to be that I should have re raised more, so you see I did learn something! And yes, I do wear socks with sandals Wayne.

FYP Mikey

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2010, 18:01:15 PM »
don"t slowroll - no analysis here other than the sizing of the flop raise maybe but i don"t totally hate it
Looking forward to making my first day 2

WYoung83

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2010, 19:28:17 PM »
 min raising the flop is bad for several reasons. It looks super strong if he is a good player, it gives him great price with 9-10 or likewise, too many action killers can peel off on turn to slow down the hand against his possible top pair, or 2 pair. So u wanna look to be getting this hand all in on flop imo, and min raising doesnt usually accomplish this.

As it happens the money is going in with 100bbs. He should of folded before flop, but the fish got lucky.

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2010, 22:54:55 PM »

min raising the flop is bad for several reasons. It looks super strong if he is a good player, it gives him great price with 9-10 or likewise, too many action killers can peel off on turn to slow down the hand against his possible top pair, or 2 pair. So u wanna look to be getting this hand all in on flop imo, and min raising doesnt usually accomplish this.

As it happens the money is going in with 100bbs. He should of folded before flop, but the fish got lucky.

You can really only get 100 bb"s all in on the flop if villain re-raises Will.

What you can do though, is as usual player dependent. If he"s spewy and highly unlikely to fold to a decent flop raise, make a flop raise to ~$15 and set up a psb turn ai for $33-$34. As stated earlier, the bigger flop raise is usually perceived as weaker than the hugely transparent and exploitable "I have a monster min raise".

If villain is competent and you risk loosing him, you could raise flop to $8-$9 and half pot the turn and river.
"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."

fraac

• Silver Member
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2010, 23:02:55 PM »
I dislike the word "binks".

TheSnapper

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2010, 23:33:02 PM »

I dislike the word "binks".

That"ll get the post count up ;D
"Being wrong is erroneously associated with failure, when, in fact, to be proven wrong should be celebrated, for it elevates someone to a new level of understanding."