Author Topic: Thoughts on this hand?  (Read 5981 times)

noble1

• Platinum Member
Re: Thoughts on this hand?
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2010, 02:53:26 AM »

Just come on to this cash table ( six handed 25/50c), after being dumped out of 2 SNGs in 10 minutes when my boat was trumped by a bigger one, and my trip 9s were out kicked by a better trip 9s, so slightly tilting!!
Second or third hand so no reads I am dealt pocket Jacks in MP, I raise to $1.50, everyone else folds to the BB who makes up.
Flop KJ8 rainbow, he leads out with $3.50, I raise to $7, He pushes for approx $45, and has me covered.
I pretty much snap call, scared of set of Kings,or AK, but not really as surely he would have re raised pre, or maybe a set of eights.
Anyway he flips over K8 for two pair, and binks a K on the turn.
Just wondered what peoples thoughts were on the way the hand was played by both of us, I have a few thoughts.

Mikey you should be prepared to lose your stack in most situations like this , that also applies to villain with top and bottom pair.. To maximize your pots u have to play this way , u both played it fine getting all aggressive on the flop.
As for the min raise ,  a min raise will work at 25c/50c, but only if your opponent is a bluffing weak player type [so u need reads that u can make him fold on the flop or later if he calls on 4th or 5th street]
Theres not much point in balancing till u sense that some players are adjusting to u or others as per AMRN -
he"s just been seen to min-raise with the second nuts, so surely next time he min-raises the flop with air, he is likely to get some sort of respect from observant players

Why do u question villains play mikey?

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2010, 09:01:38 AM »
I just thought the All in push over the top was a bit over aggressive, he must have been scared of a set, surely?
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2010, 10:44:51 AM »
well a set of 8s and kings is hard to make when there are two on the board and he has two in his hand. His hand will look like the nuts to him and he is mor elikely to be up against AK QT etc
Looking forward to making my first day 2

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2010, 16:36:25 PM »

I just thought the All in push over the top was a bit over aggressive, he must have been scared of a set, surely?

well a set of 8s and kings is hard to make when there are two on the board and he has two in his hand. His hand will look like the nuts to him and he is mor elikely to be up against AK QT etc

like dean says your range can be wide enough for him to push his 2 pair , AA AK QT KQ u even see some donuts min raising QQ sometimes at 25c/50c , if villain had a really good read on u and how u played strong hands then if he had sound reasoning as to why folding 2 pair in this situation was ok then yes a good player could find a fold , but on the whole
with 2 pair u should be looking to stack off on the flop , it"d be more of a mistake to fold imo otherwise u"ll never get paid off or maximise your hands...

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #19 on: July 08, 2010, 16:38:42 PM »
Not getting it on on that flop w/ K8 would be a huge mistake.  From villains perspective - its far better for his to play his hand hard, so no action killers come on the turn.
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...