Author Topic: SNG Strategies  (Read 4865 times)

showdown

• Bronze Member
SNG Strategies
« on: July 15, 2010, 11:10:01 AM »
Hi all,

I"m thinking about starting a long-term grinding session for multi-table SNG"s.  In the past I"ve played various limits, usually settling on 4 tables of $5 to $10 either 27 to 45 man games.  I"ve had relative success but only really over short time periods.  I"ll play these for a couple of weeks usually make about 20% ROI then get distracted.

I"ve read various strategy guides to these, from the chaotic to the extremely patient, but wouldn"t mind getting some opinions from the APAT crowd.  What has worked for you?  Things to avoid etc?

Looking forward to reading your replies....

WYoung83

• Platinum Member
Re: SNG Strategies
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2010, 22:06:56 PM »
 I would say that with the SnG structures beign so bad, you will need a to play massive scope of tourneys to help override the variance. Somtimes you just cant get a dam cash in about 20 or so tourneys because you will obviously need to win flips and run good as much as possible. My advice would be to try and play abc poker and it helps if you run good right off the bat so you get off to a good start. GL with this.

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2010, 22:46:43 PM »
I don"t plat MTT SNGs - I just stick to STT SNGs on stars, and turbos only.   PLaying 6 to 8 at a time, I make profit by sticking to two gears only...... tight as a gnat"s chuff until down to 15xBB, then shove/fold. Works for me - boring, but profitable.

The only reasonable advice I can think of for any SNG formats, is don"t try and play poker - there just isn"t room.

jbworldwide

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • APAT League Controller
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2010, 22:59:00 PM »

I don"t plat MTT SNGs - I just stick to STT SNGs on stars, and turbos only.   PLaying 6 to 8 at a time, I make profit by sticking to two gears only...... tight as a gnat"s chuff until down to 15xBB, then shove/fold. Works for me - boring, but profitable.

The only reasonable advice I can think of for any SNG formats, is don"t try and play poker - there just isn"t room.

this
APAT League Controller

jbworldwide (PokerStars)

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2010, 08:59:34 AM »

Ditto, it does work, but is incredibly boring! So if you are playing to build a roll follow this advice, if you are playing for fun........play like the Duke! ;)
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

duke3016

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
    • ChezGer
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2010, 10:39:17 AM »

Ditto, it does work, but is incredibly boring! So if you are playing to build a roll follow this advice, if you are playing for fun........play like the Duke! ;)

sigh - I have a strategy but it"s just unfathomable to mere mortals

showdown

• Bronze Member
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2010, 11:51:50 AM »

This was a similar approach I"ve used in the past but I just need to learn that the objective is profit and not poker :)

I always end up straying to the large field MTT"s for my poker fix.

What would you say is an expected ROI for SNG"s then over a long period?  I know the variance can be quite swingy in these but I"d want to try and achieve around 20% if possible.

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2010, 12:02:46 PM »

This was a similar approach I"ve used in the past but I just need to learn that the objective is profit and not poker :)

What would you say is an expected ROI for SNG"s then over a long period?  I know the variance can be quite swingy in these but I"d want to try and achieve around 20% if possible.

good luck with setting 20% as an ROI target, particularly if you play STTs.  20% is perfectly achievable in the short term, but over 1000s of games, it"s ambitious. I get something nearer 8%, and keep the volume relatively high to increase the hourly rate.

jbworldwide

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • APAT League Controller
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2010, 12:13:08 PM »

good luck with setting 20% as an ROI target, particularly if you play STTs.  20% is perfectly achievable in the short term, but over 1000s of games, it"s ambitious. I get something nearer 8%, and keep the volume relatively high to increase the hourly rate.

Well my stats according to Sharkscope;

Stars ROI is 19% over 675 games
Tilt ROI 51% over 366 games

Can"t complain  ;D
APAT League Controller

jbworldwide (PokerStars)

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2010, 12:24:29 PM »

Can"t complain  ;D

Is that all STT, or include MTT?
1041 is a medium term view - see what you have at 5k+ games... ;)

jbworldwide

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
  • APAT League Controller
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2010, 12:36:58 PM »

Can"t complain  ;D

Is that all STT, or include MTT?
1041 is a medium term view - see what you have at 5k+ games... ;)

It should be SNG only. And I am not a machine unlike you  :P

To actually add something useful to this conversation. I do think my figures are inflated by a long way and agree wthat 8/10% is a realistic target, anything else is a bonus.
APAT League Controller

jbworldwide (PokerStars)

shozboy1

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2010, 15:53:18 PM »
I play the 180 man turbo SNGs on stars. Not particularly intelligent poker though. Tight early, shove/fold with 13-15BBS less. The main reason I play em is cos they"re turbos and over within 2 hours even if you go all the way. What would be a reasonable bankroll and ROI for these games do people think? At the moment I"m running on something like 7-8% over a small sample. Not great, but variance is huge in these 180 man turbos - 1500 starting stack
WCOAP online final tablist 2009
WCOAP live 6 max final tablist 2010
Eng online final tablist 2011