Author Topic: S4 ENGLAND - WCOAP Team Championships  (Read 49637 times)

Roscopiko

• Gold Member
  • APAT Newcastle Team Captain
    • Tilt Tilt Tilt Reload Tilt Tilt
Re: ENGLAND - WCOAP Team Championships
« Reply #90 on: August 04, 2010, 13:00:40 PM »
Great team well done glglglglglgl

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #91 on: August 04, 2010, 13:14:28 PM »

Now that my team is chosen, I would like to say that I was absolutely amazed at the amount of people who applied to play this year.
 You may be thinking "wow....were there hundreds ?"
 Well no, there were........ermmm..........just nine..........
.and FIVE of those were BCPC players !!

I really found this astonishing.

How many did Kin get last year and why do you think it was different (if it was)?

BOINGBLITZ

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #92 on: August 04, 2010, 13:20:36 PM »
Don"t know how many applied last year but I was surprised at the low numbers.
LATVIAN O/L CHAMPION 2008.
WELSH O/L CHAMPION 2009
IRISH AMATEUR CHAMPION 2009, in memory of Bill Young
WELSH O/L PLO CHAMPION 2013
Bronze medalist 2009 & Captain 2010 ENGLAND team.
CAPTAIN 4-TIME O/L CHAMPS WALSALL / WEST MIDLANDS.
No.1 ranked Online 2009.
R-up Sth Euro O/L PLO 2010
3rd Pu

Hammerite

• Gold Member
« Reply #93 on: August 04, 2010, 13:25:23 PM »
Brian,

Thanks for taking the time to send me a personal message regarding your team selection, I appreciate you doing that.

Best of luck to yourself, Steve,Charles, and Paul.

COME ON ENGLAND!
S2 Irish OL Gold, WCOLAP Main Gold
S4 UK Silver, Scots Silver
S5 WCOLAP Omaha Bronze
S6 WCOLAP Omaha 2nd, WCOLAP Omaha H/L 3rd
S7 English OL Omaha 3rd, Irish Bronze
S8 Irish OL Silver, WCOAP Stud Silver, WCOAP Horse Gold
S9 WCOLAP Bounty k/o 1st
S10 Euro OL Bronze
S12 Scots OL Silver
T: Eng/Apat

scouse3465

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • Holder of ten medals
« Reply #94 on: August 04, 2010, 13:29:05 PM »
Firsly i would like to say good luck to Bri and the England team , but want to have a little rant! which is my opinion and not a slur on Bri who had a very tough job to do!
I think for such a great oppurtunity and with a wealth of talent to pick from different players should get the chance to take on the rest of the world therefore steve and bri should have let other players have a chance and the honour of wearing the 3 lions. I think the other players who applied would have been capable of doing just as good a job. I realise there wasnt many applicants this surely must of been because they thought too many applicants not much chance etc. Also as a captain / manager surely you should be watching the other games weighing up the weak links or which of his players would fair better against other team members( obviously depending on how tourney run). So the responsibilty of the captainship is not compromised making game or decions as captain under extra pressure. And can solely concentrate on whats best for team.
I believe there is at least 15 england players who could easily do well with that little but of luck we all need, so why not give more of them a shot.
I still beleive England have a great team and a great chance of winnig it but would have just a good chance with fresh blood .
This is not me being bitter for not getting in by the way , i have texted bri and told him i was doing this and he has accepted my opinions like the top bloke and player he is .
Last but not least come on england !!

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #95 on: August 04, 2010, 13:39:14 PM »

Firsly i would like to say good luck to Bri and the England team , but want to have a little rant! which is my opinion and not a slur on Bri who had a very tough job to do!
I think for such a great oppurtunity and with a wealth of talent to pick from different players should get the chance to take on the rest of the world therefore steve and bri should have let other players have a chance and the honour of wearing the 3 lions. I think the other players who applied would have been capable of doing just as good a job. I realise there wasnt many applicants this surely must of been because they thought too many applicants not much chance etc. Also as a captain / manager surely you should be watching the other games weighing up the weak links or which of his players would fair better against other team members( obviously depending on how tourney run). So the responsibilty of the captainship is not compromised making game or decions as captain under extra pressure. And can solely concentrate on whats best for team.
I believe there is at least 15 england players who could easily do well with that little but of luck we all need, so why not give more of them a shot.
I still beleive England have a great team and a great chance of winnig it but would have just a good chance with fresh blood .
This is not me being bitter for not getting in by the way , i have texted bri and told him i was doing this and he has accepted my opinions like the top bloke and player he is .

I think Scouse should have gotten a place.

Making it easy for the rest of us .  ;)

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #96 on: August 04, 2010, 13:43:44 PM »
England now have a quality team, and have a great chance of winning, and under Brians leadership I wouldn"t be in the least bit suprised if they did win it.
As regards Steve"s argument that there are many players who could do a good job and would love a crack, this is a tricky one, the captain is selected and then it is up to him to pick his best team a not just give other players ago. I actually feel that is what the other team event is for and that the "APAT" team should be made up of players who support APAT but haven"t had a look in elsewhere, but will that happen this year as they are defending the trophy? ???
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

scouse3465

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • Holder of ten medals
« Reply #97 on: August 04, 2010, 13:49:50 PM »

England now have a quality team, and have a great chance of winning, and under Brians leadership I wouldn"t be in the least bit suprised if they did win it.
As regards Steve"s argument that there are many players who could do a good job and would love a crack, this is a tricky one, the captain is selected and then it is up to him to pick his best team a not just give other players ago. I actually feel that is what the other team event is for and that the "APAT" team should be made up of players who support APAT but haven"t had a look in elsewhere, but will that happen this year as they are defending the trophy? ???

mikey not sayin pick inferior players as i said there players just as good and with the luck / run of cards they would be just as strong if not stronger with the added prove apoint thinking

Roscopiko

• Gold Member
  • APAT Newcastle Team Captain
    • Tilt Tilt Tilt Reload Tilt Tilt
« Reply #98 on: August 04, 2010, 13:53:33 PM »

Pretty much agree with this.

Given the format is what it is for this tournament then the home nations will always struggle the most to satisfy the players.

As much as we might hate to admit it, due to the nature of the game on any given day any apat member can outperform any other so really who actually represents their country becomes pretty irrelevant.

I"d much rather see a more inclusive method of selection for each team than the captain decides as it will always be an influenced decision and instantly alienates some proportion of members.

Is there any reason that in future years members could not be chosen from either a single qualifying tournament, ballot or any other random method giving everyone the opportunity to play?

BOINGBLITZ

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #99 on: August 04, 2010, 14:24:06 PM »
Appreciate Scouse"s comments and as I have told him myself, leaving him out was difficult.

Both he and Dan Owston are extremely tough players to read and to play against and bring a mindset to the APAT tables that is matched by few others. They also bring a volume level matched by no others !!
 I have huge respect for both of them and enjoy there company. I jush wish I could pick more than 4 in the team.

As for the selection process, as long as it is the same for every team, then maybe a tourney is the way to go and then appoint a non-playing Captain (as Scouse suggests) at a later date ?

Anyway, whoever or whatever criteria is used, we can never please everyone.....human nature.
WELSH O/L CHAMPION 2009
No.1 ranked Online 2009.
3rd Pu

mattblue

• Silver Member
« Reply #100 on: August 04, 2010, 14:25:08 PM »
good luck england or is it dads army woop woop

BOINGBLITZ

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #101 on: August 04, 2010, 14:35:54 PM »
Who do you think you are kidding ?
WELSH O/L CHAMPION 2009
No.1 ranked Online 2009.
3rd Pu

maxine4matt

« Reply #102 on: August 04, 2010, 14:47:55 PM »
gl england ,i would have put myself forward if id have known it was too doo with how good u are at poker lol pmsl ,matt said it was who had the best bejwelled score on facebook the cock lol,would have like too see scouse their queen and country and all woop ,i could have been the hag not wag lol on the england team ,joking aside good luck all and its coming home its coming home xxx

cincicrappykid

• Gold Member
« Reply #103 on: August 04, 2010, 15:08:53 PM »
good luck england
GOLD NATIONAL ONLINE TEAM C/SHIP 09/10.  S1& 7 BCPC CHAMP/H/O Champ. BRONZE WCOAP 7 Card Stud 2009. BRONZE Scotish Online Omaha  2010 BRONZE Northern European NL  2010. APAT NATIONAL PUB CHAMPION 2011 SCOTTISH OMAHA  GOLD 2012. ECOAP SILVER WCOAP GOLD England Team 2013  National Online Champion 2013

undisputed

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
« Reply #104 on: August 04, 2010, 16:13:22 PM »
Sod waiting "til DTD. Can i just call you a ****** now ??

I"m disappointed, as i was expecting a mediocre team... much like the one that showed up at the world cup.

However, form is temporary, CLASS, is permanent.

That is why TEAM CYMRU will destroy you.....at any cost.

Well done all selected, but be wanred. By the time we"re finished with you, you"ll ALL wish you were Welsh. .

CYMRU AM BYTH .  . .                                    

Now that my team is chosen, I would like to say that I was absolutely amazed at the amount of people who applied to play this year.
 You may be thinking "wow....were there hundreds ?"
 Well no, there were........ermmm..........just nine...........and FIVE of those were BCPC players !!

I really found this astonishing.

I was expecting an absolute flood and it never materialised. Without mentioning any names, I was disappointed to lose one player to holidays, who I would have given a lot of thought to, and several players I hoped would apply, didn"t.

I wasn"t going to ask anyone as I wanted team players who wanted to be there.

As to those who I did not select, 2 players were VERY close to being selected. I changed my mind several times and came very close to choosing one player ahead of myself, but as I have told him today, maybe I took the "easy" option in the end.

The players who were from the BCPC who didn"t get selected gave me a very difficult task indeed ! Obviously, I know them all well and do rate them highly but it would have been very tough to have picked an all-BCPC side for England....even though everyone knows we would have walked it :)

As it is, I hope everyone will see that I tried to make what I considered the best decisions for us as a team and hopefully I can be proved right over the 2 days. Only time will tell.

If you want to come and tell me what a **** I am at DTD, feel free to do so. Everyone else does !!

COME ON ENGLAND !!