Author Topic:  (Read 7541 times)

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2010, 15:49:29 PM »
add to my previous reply above...
if we assume the button isn"t a complete idiot , look at it from his perspective if he has top 2pair or a made straight on this texture flop.You lead out and bb calls, what do you think he puts u and the bb on and with his stack size how do u think he"d continue?

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2010, 16:55:49 PM »

if we assume the button isn"t a complete idiot , look at it from his perspective if he has top 2pair or a made straight on this texture flop.You lead out and bb calls, what do you think he puts u and the bb on and with his stack size how do u think he"d continue?

This bit about "what does he put me on" is the tricky bit for me. I don"t think my image is too shabby - I folded trip jacks on the river in an earlier hand to a player who had raised the turn and led out for about half the pot on the river (he had turned the house having flopped two pair after he called utg with J8 off). Yes, I"ve been active, but I haven"t shown any real signs of utter recklessness or of crazy aggression.

So what does he put me on that is scary for his hand?
Trips? - He must know I"d have raised pre with 99/JJ/QQ so we can ignore that, can"t we?
Two pair? - which leaves me 4 outs and him as a big favourite
The K 10 to split the pot? Possible, but unlikely
A/8 10 ? possible, and maybe the only hands that makes his move make sense in a chip accrual way
or a bare 10 and fear of splitting the pot if one of the remaining 3 Ks appears?

Is shoving in his position a good move these days ?  (obviously it as for him on this occasion...)
Just an old bloke living the dream

Proud to be an APAT Forum Team member 2013
Prouder still of being part of the Raise for Jack team, Silver medalists 2019

Eck

• Silver Member
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2010, 17:14:18 PM »

I"m in the Small blind with  jc 9d and the button open limps. I opt to complete with a view to calling/raising if the BB gets awkward, but i think maybe it"s time to just see a flop and play from there.

Can you explain a bit more about the thought process here please? what were your intentions if BB raised?

he"s raised pretty rarely and only in pots where I"d folded, but I suppose it"s possible that he might and I may have to think about it.
I need a bit more info before I answer the hypothetical question though.

How much are you thinking he might raise?
Is the button calling?

Your statement suggests you are likely to either call or raise any bet the BB would make. I just thought it a bit odd with a weak hand oop to the BB who if I am correct has been playing fairly tight that we would want to get involved unless they are always folding when they miss etc. Think most mistakes are normally made pre-flop: don"t mind the make up as the hand can flop okay but if we do hit it is also going to smack a load of other hands people like to limp with so you would need to be cautious which is another reason to pass and make life easier etc. Opinion split on this with me and the mole he is making up 100% of the time as he loves the odds etc but i just see the limping in behind hoping to hit as spewy as you are likely passing the majority of flops.

As played I get them in here as I am not giving him any credit if he is open limping the button tbh.

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2010, 17:31:19 PM »
amazing how often people get into trouble by calling, instead of raising/folding.   It might only be 150 into a pot of 750 preflop, and 6/1 sounds like a great deal.... but it just set up an avoidable car crash.

either punish the weak limp by the button preflop, or just stay out of the way and don"t waste chips.

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2010, 18:17:37 PM »
calling is not the greatest preflop, but I"d probably have a stab with this too. (but that"s because I"m a fish)

As played, you have flopped the earth, so iso shove
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2010, 02:01:08 AM »

This bit about "what does he put me on" is the tricky bit for me. I don"t think my image is too shabby - I folded trip jacks on the river in an earlier hand to a player who had raised the turn and led out for about half the pot on the river (he had turned the house having flopped two pair after he called utg with J8 off). Yes, I"ve been active, but I haven"t shown any real signs of utter recklessness or of crazy aggression.

So what does he put me on that is scary for his hand?
Trips? - He must know I"d have raised pre with 99/JJ/QQ so we can ignore that, can"t we?
Two pair? - which leaves me 4 outs and him as a big favourite
The K 10 to split the pot? Possible, but unlikely
A/8 10 ? possible, and maybe the only hands that makes his move make sense in a chip accrual way
or a bare 10 and fear of splitting the pot if one of the remaining 3 Ks appears?

Is shoving in his position a good move these days ?  (obviously it as for him on this occasion...)

be it fear on villains part that u or the bb may have a ten, meh who knows.. What i do know is that the amount of times u see this whilst playing in low buy in mtts is pretty often lol , it is rife like a disease but they do it prehaps one to many times, u see it in high buy ins from tricky buggers to.. Is it the kill phil influence/super system etc or do they see online some of these moves getting paid off pre and post but dont understand the theory behind it all, mostly i see the all in shover turning over the nuts or 2nd 3rd nuts , sometimes its total air/anything from a creative tricky/maniac, on ocasions its a draw but mainly its a strong hand, i guess players see this move getting paid off so they try it out without understanding why and who to do it against. It spazzes some players out , the nits luvvvv it :) or Mr Tight ABC who will ridicule the villain and lecture them on how bad they are, use it yourself with reads of course :)... its fun ;D
http://www.cardplayer.com/cardplayer-magazines/65752-phil-ivey-22-14/articles/18560-all-in-overbets-when-acting-first
http://www.pkr.com/en/raise-your-game/multi-table-tournaments/mtt35/
http://www.bluffmagazine.com/magazine/Overbetting-Brandon-Adams-618.htm
http://blackbeltpoker.com/articles/read/Strategy-Overbetting
http://www.pkr.com/en/raise-your-game/multi-table-tournaments/mtt18-1of3/
i can churn out loads of articles on overbetting and shoving , read all the above David and imho keep on questioning why?

Big bet poker is a game of options and creativity. Whereas fixed limit players generally have only two or three options at any given decision point (check/bet or raise/call/fold), big bet players often have the option of betting anywhere from 1BB to the size of the pot or the effective stacks. Yet despite the myriad options available, most players tend to restrict themselves to betting between 2/3 pot and full pot.
This is not without good reason. Such moderately sized bets offer a compelling risk/reward ratio: they build the pot for big hands, deny proper odds to all but the best draws, and avoid putting too much of your stack at risk.
However, there are drawbacks to such a narrow betting strategy. The ability to vary bet sizes is one of the defining characteristics of no-limit and pot-limit games. Failing to take full advantage of it can only hurt you in the long run. Moreover, most of your opponents will be accustomed to responding to "big-but-not-too-big" bets. It is what they do, it is what most of their opponents do, and through trial and error they've improved their decision-making when faced with such bets.
Introducing underbetting and overbetting into your game can both expand your ability to think more deeply about a poker hand and confound your opponents, forcing them to muddle through a new situation.
There are good reasons why these aren't often-used plays, but if you never use them, you are missing out on opportunities to confound your opponents and find value in places where no one else is looking.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 05:01:39 AM by noble1 »

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2010, 18:55:51 PM »
Is anyone going to post up anything other than coolers or results orientated pap
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2010, 19:40:05 PM »

Is anyone going to post up anything other than coolers or results orientated pap

why dont u read the post and reply with something constructive? With his reads George, the board texture , his blockers and the action after he leads, do u really think that this is a cooler u cant get away from or even figure out what villain is shoving George?

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2010, 20:56:45 PM »

why dont u read the post and reply with something constructive? With his reads George, the board texture , his blockers and the action after he leads, do u really think that this is a cooler u cant get away from or even figure out what villain is shoving George?

Most of the hands on here are bad beats or coolers. Admittedly this one could have played out differently but in most cases villian doesnt jam the nuts so you probably have to get it in here
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2010, 21:57:17 PM »

Most of the hands on here are bad beats or coolers. Admittedly this one could have played out differently but in most cases villian doesnt jam the nuts so you probably have to get it in here

I"ve got one.  I"ll post it now.
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason