Author Topic:  (Read 7555 times)

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« on: July 19, 2010, 11:20:39 AM »
£50 at DTD - 255 runners 10,000 starting stack

I"ve built a decent stack through the first four levels without really getting any cards to speak of. The one time I had KK and made a standard raise from cut-off in an unopened pot  the button and the blinds both folded  >:(
I"ve been pretty active and the two players to my left have been pretty passive as have the two to my right. Rarely been to showdown but I"d built a stack of c14,500 by the time this hand occurred in the third level

Blinds are 75/150
Button has 3,750 - I"ve picked up a fair few chips from him - he"s call/folded a lot and dribbled his stack away generally
I have c14,500
BB has c6,000
I"m in the Small blind with  jc 9d and the button open limps. I opt to complete with a view to calling/raising if the BB gets awkward, but i think maybe it"s time to just see a flop and play from there.
Flop is  qh jd 9s
I lead for 300
BB calls
Button shoves for 3,600
BB shows every sign that he now regrets having put in the 300 to call and has very obviously hit the "fold in turn" button.
Just an old bloke living the dream

Proud to be an APAT Forum Team member 2013
Prouder still of being part of the Raise for Jack team, Silver medalists 2019

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 11:32:51 AM »
I take it from the lack of texts this weekend Dave this didnt go well?   :-\
Winner of 1 gold, 2 silver & 1 bronze medals.
Proud member of team England '11 & '12 (Home Internationals) & team APAT  '11

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=101148

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 11:44:56 AM »
Tell you al about it tomorrow night - suffice to say that I have spots to discuss from the £50, and the £30, and the 50p/£1 cash table...  >:(

deanp27

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 12:46:25 PM »
do anything but fold
Looking forward to making my first day 2

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 12:54:10 PM »
Pause briefly before shoving.
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

Class

« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2010, 13:11:57 PM »
Smells like A 10 to me.

shozboy1

• Silver Member
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2010, 13:20:35 PM »
I guess an equity calc would be useful, but given this action, and the type of player we know this guy to be (straightforward) I would put him on a made straight/straight draw/2 pair/top pair/some weird trappy play with AA/KK - the latter seems unlikely if we think he"s straightforward. Sets are unlikely so I wouldnt put this in his range. Alot here would be tell and read dependent on this particular player. It "feels" like your 2 pair is beat here, or racing, but the maths may dictate a shove
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 14:18:13 PM by shozboy1 »
WCOAP online final tablist 2009
WCOAP live 6 max final tablist 2010
Eng online final tablist 2011

Eck

• Silver Member
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 13:30:12 PM »

I"m in the Small blind with  jc 9d and the button open limps. I opt to complete with a view to calling/raising if the BB gets awkward, but i think maybe it"s time to just see a flop and play from there.

Can you explain a bit more about the thought process here please? what were your intentions if BB raised?

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 13:41:43 PM »

Can you explain a bit more about the thought process here please? what were your intentions if BB raised?

he"s raised pretty rarely and only in pots where I"d folded, but I suppose it"s possible that he might and I may have to think about it.
I need a bit more info before I answer the hypothetical question though.

How much are you thinking he might raise?
Is the button calling?

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 14:05:46 PM »
Having asked the question in the OP, and given your following notes that things didn"t go well generally, I suspect you suffered some form of bad beat in this hand?

I think the correct answer to the question is to shove to remove the BB and isolate the Button..... you probably did this and he either showed a flopped straight, or an AQ type hand that went on to counterfeit yout two pair?

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2010, 14:10:33 PM »

Having asked the question in the OP, and given your following notes that things didn"t go well generally, I suspect you suffered some form of bad beat in this hand?

I think the correct answer to the question is to shove to remove the BB and isolate the Button..... you probably did this and he either showed a flopped straight, or an AQ type hand that went on to counterfeit yout two pair?

Seems the consensus thus far is to do as I did - I shoved over the top, BB folded and button showed K 10 for the flopped straight.

Not a disaster, but it was a setback which I would have preferred to avoid.

Is this just the perils of completing in the SB with a marginal hand? Can we fold pre given that we"re getting 5-1 on the call with a pretty passive BB?

shozboy1

• Silver Member
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2010, 14:17:25 PM »
I"d be calling from the SB here most/all of the time. Think its fine. I"d also shove here. Even if you lost, which I imagine you did, you have more then a playable stack
WCOAP online final tablist 2009
WCOAP live 6 max final tablist 2010
Eng online final tablist 2011

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: July 19, 2010, 14:39:10 PM »
Don"t think I can fold but I"d imagine button has a hand like flopped straight with a weak limp with K 10 or 8 10 suited or  has played a pocket pair passively pre flop for a set

I don"t think I"m folding and I think a call is fine as it takes a massive hand for the BB to be able to call

I don"t understand the buttons shove if he does have a flopped straight as any one pair type hand is gonna fold. If I was button I"d have flattes if I have a hand that beats 2 pair and the raise the turn.

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2010, 15:08:55 PM »

£50 at DTD - 255 runners 10,000 starting stack

I"ve built a decent stack through the first four levels without really getting any cards to speak of. The one time I had KK and made a standard raise from cut-off in an unopened pot  the button and the blinds both folded  >:(
I"ve been pretty active and the two players to my left have been pretty passive as have the two to my right. Rarely been to showdown but I"d built a stack of c14,500 by the time this hand occurred in the third level

Blinds are 75/150
Button has 3,750 - I"ve picked up a fair few chips from him - he"s call/folded a lot and dribbled his stack away generally
I have c14,500
BB has c6,000
Flop is  qh jd 9s
I lead for 300
BB calls
Button shoves for 3,600
BB shows every sign that he now regrets having put in the 300 to call and has very obviously hit the "fold in turn" button.

Like eck this to me seems odd as to why?

With your reads i can find a fold as played , i would not fold say if they were aggressive types with draws or top pair etc ..
I say fold because of the texture, cos pretty much the only hand in his range for a passive type here is QT, and against that u are 50/50 roughly, everything else u are behind , and u hold the blockers for JT 9T which he might also overshove with..
BB shows every sign that he now regrets having put in the 300 to call and has very obviously hit the "fold in turn"

when ur deciding to flat or raise when the button shoves my logic if i was to go with 2pair here, would be to flat and give the bb the opportunity to spazz off with a ten draw or make a mistake by just calling, if u shove u make it to easy for him to fold imho and only call with hands that beat u..

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: July 19, 2010, 15:16:22 PM »
Easy fold against this player. You"ve given us the history but then ignored it when it came to the decision. Against an active player it"s an easy call, but when someone who has been rolling over for you all day suddenly wants to get really frisky, why do you think that is? I"d have thought QJ or Q9 were most likely, though KQ, AQ or QT were possible. Even if you might be winning, just let them have that one and carry on helping yourself to their chips for the next x hands until they get something good again. Why undo all your previous good work? You might bump up your chips but you will probably take most of those chips anyway over the coming hands with less risk.
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013