Author Topic: AK sooooooooted - on the bubble  (Read 17625 times)

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
AK sooooooooted - on the bubble
« on: August 02, 2010, 22:36:10 PM »
It"s a 6-max tournament that had 116 runners.  Top 11 are getting paid and we"re down to the last 12.

Starting stacks were 10,000 and the blinds 35 minutes, making it one of the most enjoyable and "playable" tournaments I"ve ever played.  The TD told me that the average didn"t drop below 20xBBs until the tournament got down to 3-handed. 

Having been stumbling along just below average, slowly trying to increase my stack.  With about 40 left I"ve managed to be gifted one bloke"s stack when I rivered the nut straight and he decided to re-raise shove with the 2nd nuts.  Very next hand the big stack turns the nut flush, which unfortunately for him gives me a full house.  That gave me a very nice stack thank you very much and since then I"ve been motoring nicely.  Now we"re down to two tables and we"re all looking at the final table (which will be a 7-seater table) and ideally a top 3 spot where the money is definitely less trivial.

So back to the hand in question.  I"ve been playing quite a few hands, as the format dictates, as does my stack size.  There are a few smaller stacks at the table and one other who has about the same stack as me (170,000).  I"ve been putting pressure on the smaller stacks, and feeling fairly comfortable.

An orbit before the hand in question, I three-bet Seat 2, who is a tight player who hasn"t played as many hands as others at the table in the past few levels.  She dwelled for a while and then passed.  I have a feeling she laid down a decent Ace (maybe AQ) or a medium-high pair.

Anyway, an orbit later, I look down at  ad1 kd in the BB.  Blinds are 1,500/3,000 with antes of 300.   UTG+1 limps, and Seat 2 raises up to 9,000.  It"s folded to me.  So we"re in a similar situation to the last orbit, when I re-raised to 27,000.

I have about 170,000 - Seat 1 has 60,000 and Seat 2 about 100,000. 

Seat 1 was on my table earlier and seemed to know what he was doing.  I was surprised with his limp, and it looked suspiciously like he was planning to re-raise.  Seat 2 wasn"t unaware of this, and so her raise looked strong.

What do I do next?
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason

deanp27

• Platinum Member
Re: AK sooooooooted - on the bubble
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010, 22:46:19 PM »
i"d 3bet again to a similar amount and wouldn"t be folding
Looking forward to making my first day 2

mousebob

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Silver Member
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010, 23:08:48 PM »
I shove the lot in!!
The harder I work,
The luckier I get.

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010, 23:13:13 PM »
Yep 3 bet call it off Dan.
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2010, 04:11:46 AM »
Fold it.......... Why?...........because the pay structure i assume is more top heavy so therefore i assume even a min cash will be good for your ROI.............Also tight player raising a limper surely gives her a more narrow range.............As you mention, you are comfortable picking on the scared money so why risk a flip at best in this situation, fold and continue with your stealing strategy as it is more optimal imho.........If you have been active then villains usually just adjust by tightening up more and will only open or play back at you with there strong hands, seat one you seem to have pegged for a strong hand, seat 2 is Mrs Tight, so fold bloody Ace high.. ;D

note - i"ll try to find a PXF replay of ckingusc in the wcoop 08 when he folds AKs pre in a similar spot to yours...

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2010, 07:42:28 AM »
With stack sizes this seems like a pretty good spot to 3b/get it in.  I duno why we would contemplate just folding when we have an aggro image and would still have 20x+ if we lose the hand.  Also, it"s live poker....people can stack off a 20x stack w/ AJ+ :)
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2010, 07:52:53 AM »

Fold it.......... Why?...........because the pay structure i assume is more top heavy so therefore i assume even a min cash will be good for your ROI.............Also tight player raising a limper surely gives her a more narrow range.............As you mention, you are comfortable picking on the scared money so why risk a flip at best in this situation, fold and continue with your stealing strategy as it is more optimal imho.........If you have been active then villains usually just adjust by tightening up more and will only open or play back at you with there strong hands, seat one you seem to have pegged for a strong hand, seat 2 is Mrs Tight, so fold bloody Ace high.. ;D

note - i"ll try to find a PXF replay of ckingusc in the wcoop 08 when he folds AKs pre in a similar spot to yours...

wow. Never fold Dan. Cking"s fold is probably based on a number of other factors one of which is he"s probably laddering for a few k rather then 100 odd quid

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2010, 09:08:25 AM »
This is quite a tricky spot, seat 2 you have as tight, and seat 1 you feel is about to re raise. So not as simple as might look. I can see Noble"s reason for folding, but don"t think I could do this. Re raise to 30K. This should hopefully chase seat 1 away. I can see seat 2 calling or shoving after you bullied her the last orbit, and would put her on a pocket 9s or above. If she shoves do you want to race for your tournament?
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2010, 09:12:29 AM »

This is quite a tricky spot, seat 2 you have as tight, and seat 1 you feel is about to re raise. So not as simple as might look. I can see Noble"s reason for folding, but don"t think I could do this. Re raise to 30K. This should hopefully chase seat 1 away. I can see seat 2 calling or shoving after you bullied her the last orbit, and would put her on a pocket 9s or above. If she shoves do you want to race for your tournament?

Not racing for tournament - have 70k back if we lose.
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2010, 09:31:02 AM »
As for being happy with a min-cash...well that wasn"t what I was after:

1  £4,060
2  £2,378
3  £1,566
4  £1,044
5  £754
6  £522
7  £406
8  £290
9  £232
10  £174
11  £174

Really after 6th as a minimum, ideally.

Cyntaf

• Platinum Member
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2010, 10:05:15 AM »

As for being happy with a min-cash...well that wasn"t what I was after:

1  £4,060
2  £2,378
3  £1,566
4  £1,044
5  £754
6  £522
7  £406
8  £290
9  £232
10  £174
11  £174

Really after 6th as a minimum, ideally.

Guess you"ve answered it yourself here. Shove for takedown or possible race, with chance of getting a shot at 4k?
Team Cymru Captain Apat World Team champions 2010 + 2011

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010, 10:05:29 AM »

Not racing for tournament - have 70k back if we lose.

Must read more carefully !  ;)

Still a big hit to your 170k, will be left with an M of 10. As I said i don"t think this is as strt forward as it would seem, but I think seat 2 pushes and Dan calls.

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010, 10:22:59 AM »

With stack sizes this seems like a pretty good spot to 3b/get it in.  I duno why we would contemplate just folding when we have an aggro image and would still have 20x+ if we lose the hand.  Also, it"s live poker....people can stack off a 20x stack w/ AJ+ :)

Others at the table would definitely be happy to stack off with AJ.  But I didn"t think she would be doing that.

I decided to re-raise, making it 27K.

Seat 1 shook his head, thought for a while and folded.

Seat 2 looked at me, and pretty quickly declared "all-in".

Back to me...

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2010, 10:41:23 AM »
snap

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2010, 11:14:38 AM »
Pretty sure when you raised, you were prepared for her to shove, so I refer you to my previous answer ( you called). She turns over a pair, and you win the race.  :)