Author Topic: S4 WCOAP - Player of the Championships - Discussion  (Read 17677 times)

Mikeyboy9361

• Platinum Member
Re: WCOAP - Player of the Championships
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2010, 11:36:59 AM »

Team event seat available for exchange, so I can play the Heads-Up & Stud.

LOL, not so patriotic now!  ;)
European Online Silver Medalist 2009
Member of the Leeds "Grand Final" Team
Scottish Amateur Championships Bronze Medalist 2013

Shogun112

• No Mail
  • Gold Member
  • www.rooms-direct.co.uk
    • www.rooms-direct.co.uk
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2010, 11:50:30 AM »

Team event seat available for exchange, so I can play the Heads-Up & Stud.

You have a good point there...  Those that are playing in like 4 or 5 events stand a much better chance of winning, just because of numbers...  Maybe it is a better idea to have best 3 scores?  Maybe the main event should be double points as there are many many more runners than the likes of stud but the winner still gets same points..?
www.rooms-direct.co.uk if you want some discount email me and tell me you are from APAT.

TightEnd

• Platinum Member
  • If Carlsberg did live updates, I'd be a lager
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2010, 11:52:19 AM »
No system is perfect, and of course news of this generous offer came thorugh late in the day

The aim is to ensure that the main event winner (already to receive a GUKPT Grand final seat and £9k!) is not an automatic thing for player of the series, so we wouldn"t be increasing points in the main event.

Shogun112

• No Mail
  • Gold Member
  • www.rooms-direct.co.uk
    • www.rooms-direct.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2010, 11:59:02 AM »

No system is perfect, and of course news of this generous offer came thorugh late in the day

The aim is to ensure that the main event winner (already to receive a GUKPT Grand final seat and £9k!) is not an automatic thing for player of the series, so we wouldn"t be increasing points in the main event.

What about best 3 (or whatever) scores?

It is certainly impossible for the team games player to score points in 2 of the events, because they are playing at the same times as them.
www.rooms-direct.co.uk if you want some discount email me and tell me you are from APAT.

TightEnd

• Platinum Member
  • If Carlsberg did live updates, I'd be a lager
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2010, 12:00:46 PM »
Understood, and its a fair point

I will consult the Oracle of the scoring spreadsheet and discuss

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2010, 12:39:04 PM »

What about best 3 (or whatever) scores?

It is certainly impossible for the team games player to score points in 2 of the events, because they are playing at the same times as them.

It"s a good point, but if you only have best 3 scores there is a much higher chance of a tie

Maybe something like 3 best scores, and add overall score as an additional tie breaker? - still slightly disadvantaging the team players but only if they tie for the lead and all the other tiebreakers are also equal.
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #21 on: August 23, 2010, 12:48:43 PM »
If you were unfortunate to not get selected to represent your country in the team event, then you have the potential to final table 4 of the 6 events available. (5 if you choose not to play the main event)

The reality of this is that the winner of this award will collect points in two events, maybe three, so there is no real need to put a cap on the number of events they can collect points.

If a player managed to collect points in four or five events, then in my opinion, doesn"t that mean they deserve to be awarded "Player of the Championships" ?

Yes, it does benefit those players that are playing more events than others, but as Tighty has mentioned, if it was just awarded to the winner of the main event, it would surely be a bit pointless.  Of course, if the winner of the main event, also final tables a side event or two, then they deserve the award.

Shogun112

• No Mail
  • Gold Member
  • www.rooms-direct.co.uk
    • www.rooms-direct.co.uk
« Reply #22 on: August 23, 2010, 13:58:36 PM »
I think you are doing a disservice to the eventual winner of the main event.

Heads up - 32 player
Stud - 48 player
Omaha - 81 player
Six Max - 72 Player
Horse - 48 Player
M.E. - 414 player

I know the main event winner gets 9k and a gukpt GF seat (deservedly) but in my humble opinion, the winner of the ME 414 runner game deserves MUCH MUCH more kudos and rewards than someone who gets 5th place (or so) twice in a couple of much smaller events.  It is the pinnacle tournament of the 5 days..!!  Doesn"t the winner deserve higher recognition in points scoring than someone who beats 5 people at heads up?

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2010, 14:06:33 PM »
Winning 1 tournament should not make you player of the Championships - it makes u player of the tournament.  The way it has been set out is definately the fairest way, and it pains me to say it as I cnt play some events due to being in Team event.  Excellent prize, and great motivation for someone to try and crush ALL the tournaments.
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

Sunseekers

• Silver Member
« Reply #24 on: August 23, 2010, 14:10:42 PM »

Winning 1 tournament should not make you player of the Championships - it makes u player of the tournament.  The way it has been set out is definately the fairest way,

Excellent prize, and great motivation for someone to try and crush ALL the tournaments.

DITTO!!!
« Last Edit: August 23, 2010, 14:13:21 PM by Sunseekers »
2009 WCOAP PLO BRONZE
2010 WCOAP STUD BRONZE
2010 IRLAND BRONZE
2011 ooooops
2012 ECOAP STUD BRONZE

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: August 23, 2010, 14:19:10 PM »

Winning 1 tournament should not make you player of the Championships - it makes u player of the tournament.  The way it has been set out is definately the fairest way, and it pains me to say it as I cnt play some events due to being in Team event.  Excellent prize, and great motivation for someone to try and crush ALL the tournaments.

^^^^^^^^ THIS, exactly this.

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: August 23, 2010, 14:29:58 PM »

^^^^^^^^ THIS, exactly this.

Yes this, the main event getting a higher weighting than the other tournaments was what I was worried about before the details were announced.

The way it"s done rewards consistency rather than one big win, which is how it should be
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #27 on: August 23, 2010, 16:13:33 PM »
Excellent value added again! Nice job!

I agree that the points are allocated as they should be (i.e not weighted for any 1 event)

To resolve the disadvantage for those playing team event why not use the individual player points of the event to give ranking points?

zzBlizzardzz

• Silver Member
« Reply #28 on: August 23, 2010, 16:21:05 PM »

Agree this ^^^^^^^
Team Canada Captain 2010 Silver Medalists

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: August 23, 2010, 17:04:19 PM »

Yip completely agree as well
Winner of 1 gold, 2 silver & 1 bronze medals.
Proud member of team England '11 & '12 (Home Internationals) & team APAT  '11

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=101148