Author Topic: When do you go into shove mode? Advice needed!  (Read 3800 times)

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
When do you go into shove mode? Advice needed!
« on: September 20, 2010, 18:11:16 PM »
Been playing fairly regularly in MTT"s now for a year and finding myself in similar situations online and live when I am going fairly deep but struggling to get that final push to the top places. I usually become severely short stacked due to, what I perceive, as a lack of aggression.

I would like some advice on when you should be looking to get all your chips in as you become short stacked. For example if I only had 5 big blinds left should I always be looking to shove here with good cards? Can I wait for 4BB"s/ 3BB"s/ 2BB"s?

Also what sort of range should I be shoving with in these kind of situations? I know that this is related to fold equity but could do with hearing a few views as don"t really understand the idea.

Mark

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: When do you go into shove mode? Advice needed!
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2010, 19:10:05 PM »
Personally, once I"m as low as 20 big blinds, I"m actively looking for opportunities to get my stack in as a re-steal or a squeeze. I rarely voluntarily allow my stack to dwindle below this.

If down to around 8 to 12 bigs (dependant on antes, stacks behind me, etc) I"m willing to open shove most of the time in late position with any two cards.

Less than that, and I"m open shoving in any pot that"s folded to me.

The stack size I hate most of all is 20 to 30 big blinds - in most spots you"re playing for your stack here, but it is rarely correct to shove.

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2010, 20:26:44 PM »
all on reads/player style and how big the opponent stacks are mark.. practice practice more practice and review, stick all the situations on various forums and get feedback etc etc..
reading kill everyone [kill elky] will help you imho..http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kill-Everyone-Strategies-Tournaments-Sit-n-Gos/dp/1935396307/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1285009895&sr=1-1

then u have various calculators, here are 2 handy ones -
http://www.pokerxfactor.com/sheets/
http://www.holdemresources.net/hr/sngs/icmcalculator.html - just set structure to 1 if out of the money etc and u want to know optimal shove ranges according to nash...

try to work out through experience/review if your opponents are liable to call tight or loose etc and adjust your ranges accordingly for stack sizes, antes etc etc

hope this helps....

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 09:53:54 AM »
where possible, never let yourself get to 5x.  double up = still short.  get ur chips in long before.
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2010, 10:10:07 AM »
Thanks this does help. I know in the past, particularly when playing live, I have been reluctant to get my chips in on a potential coin flip for fear of going out. I know im not going to win much with that attitude!

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2010, 10:45:08 AM »

Thanks this does help. I know in the past, particularly when playing live, I have been reluctant to get my chips in on a potential coin flip for fear of going out. I know im not going to win much with that attitude!

I don"t think it"s possible to go a whole tournament without being in a flip situation at least once - the trick is to maintain a healthy enough stack so that when you get to the flip hand, you are not the one at risk.

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 10:46:53 AM »

I don"t think it"s possible to go a whole tournament without being in a flip situation at least once - the trick is to maintain a healthy enough stack so that when you get to the flip hand, you are not the one at risk.

spoken like a man who never loses flips  ::)

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2010, 10:50:54 AM »

spoken like a man who never loses flips  ::)

I won a flip in Walsall in Feb09 - not won one since though. Hell I can"t even beat T4o with AKs on a K hi board can I Marty?!

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2010, 10:53:23 AM »
i had at least 48.6% equity on tht flop ;)

Claw75

• Silver Member
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2010, 11:33:23 AM »
for me I"m happy enough above 20bbs.  13-18bbs is a good stack for re-shoving light against the right players.  12bbs or below i"m not playing any hands where i"m not prepared to get my whole stack in, but would still stick to playing only decent starting hands from anything other than late position with 8-12bbs.  Anything below 8 or so and i"m looking to shove unopened pots at any opportunity.