Author Topic: To call or not to call - that is the question  (Read 6253 times)

deanp27

• Platinum Member
Re: To call or not to call - that is the question
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2010, 15:17:44 PM »

]still not racing for 12k  when bbls are 200 an 400 sorry  thats just me

lol but you"ll call 2k off to fold the flop though?
2k from 27k ante much and who said i would fold  STOP FISHING

problem is that what look like small mistakes preflop magnify into bigger mistakes postflop, which is sort of illustrated in the hand here.

A10 is likely to hit alot of difficult flops, (2nd pair, gutshots etc) and facing a c-bet from an aggressive villain in an already bloated pot (due to 5x pre and a call), it could be more than a 2k mistake from a 27k stack.
Looking forward to making my first day 2

WYoung83

• Platinum Member
« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2010, 20:51:36 PM »
 I would of folded for the 2k because i dont like playing big pots not knowing what im up against, but now knowing its a  flip for the side pot im calling.
Its EV because, this tourny becomes such a crapshoot that you will have to gamble soon, and for you to take a flip and possibly win  right now for this ammount of chips, gives you a decant stack to punish all the noobs at your table. And players in these tend to be really bad (hence the guy turning his hand over giving you a free look)

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2010, 20:59:54 PM »
The numbers don"t seem to add up. It must be 10k to call into a pot of 20k, leaving 15k behind. If you meant he shoved for 12k extra (which I didn"t think you meant) it would be a call of 12k into a pot of 22k, leaving 13k behind.
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

PantsMan

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2010, 10:33:10 AM »
Ok, sorry for the late reply on this one. Actually forgot i"d posted it! Dumbass!

Anyway, thanks for all the replies. Here"s my thoughts:

The reason for the call pre-flop was that i"d put him on a medium pair given his previous play. But it figured if i 3 bet he would be happy to shove and i wouldn"t be able to call. However, if i hit the flop or it comes with high cards i can win it as he"s not calling unless he hits his set, given the way he"s played so far. My biggest mistake here imo is not taking into account the stack size of the big blind behind me and what he might do. I soon realised this when he shoved, hence why i was ready to muck when the original raiser re-shoves. Once he turns over his hand i have a decision to make.

My reasoning here was that i still have a good sized stack if i lose but if i win i have a great stack at this stage and if i win the side pot i pick up chips too so i called. I was happy to take a bit of a gamble as i was getting decent odds and the advantage of having a big stack against the people who play in these is huge.

So, what happened. Well, the BB turned over Queens. Not so good but i"d seen him shove with a LOT less.

Flop A-x-x. Happy days!
Turn - Queen - Ouch
River - Eight - FML

Don"t mind my call here so wasn"t too bothered but was intrigued to see what others would do. And if it wasn"t for the Pokerstars special on the turn and river i may be on here telling you i"d won the whole thing!  :)    
« Last Edit: October 26, 2010, 11:57:44 AM by PantsMan »

kinboshi

• Platinum Member
« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2010, 14:29:28 PM »

I would of folded for the 2k because i dont like playing big pots not knowing what im up against, but now knowing its a  flip for the side pot im calling.
Its EV because, this tourny becomes such a crapshoot that you will have to gamble soon, and for you to take a flip and possibly win  right now for this ammount of chips, gives you a decant stack to punish all the noobs at your table. And players in these tend to be really bad (hence the guy turning his hand over giving you a free look)

This matches my thoughts on this hand.
"Running hurts up to a point and then it doesn't get any worse."  Ann Trason