Author Topic: APAT Season 5: Discussion  (Read 276451 times)

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: S5 - APAT Season 5 - Discussion
« Reply #135 on: November 19, 2010, 11:52:21 AM »
It definately is a big enough hike, it must be, alot of people have said it is, if they are saying that then surely it shows a good case for keeping it the same no?
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #136 on: November 19, 2010, 11:58:33 AM »
The Nationals always sell out. They have always sold out. There is always an Alternate list. People keep coming back,

It ain"t broke - why do so many people want to fix it?

josharp01

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #137 on: November 19, 2010, 12:12:27 PM »

+1 :)
2013 WCOAP Razz Champion "Jangle Jangle" :)

Proud Captain of Scotland "A" team-Home Int Champs 2012 :)

Captain of S6 East of England Team :)
APAT UK Online Champion 2011
Proud member of former Team Luton :D
NinjaJoJo on APAT Poker

Fatcatstu

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #138 on: November 19, 2010, 12:22:17 PM »

The Nationals always sell out. They have always sold out. There is always an Alternate list. People keep coming back,

good point, well made.
England C Captain 2012
World Team Champions England 2013

WarBwastardo

• Gold Member
  • I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges
    • La boca de la cueva
« Reply #139 on: November 19, 2010, 12:44:22 PM »

It definately is a big enough hike, it must be, alot of people have said it is, if they are saying that then surely it shows a good case for keeping it the same no?

Some people have said it is.  Some haven"t.  But you can obviously not know which buy-in would be more successful without trying them both.

WarBwastardo

• Gold Member
  • I don't have to show you any stinkin' badges
    • La boca de la cueva
« Reply #140 on: November 19, 2010, 12:50:15 PM »

That"s a non sequitur.  I don"t think it"s a matter of it being broken, it"s about improving it and striving for the best tour possible, that"s the purpose of this thread. Whether the hike is progress to that end or not remains to be seen.  Something being OK as it is is not an argument for not trying to improve it.

AceOnTheRiver

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #141 on: November 19, 2010, 12:57:28 PM »
Some points relating to the online league / number of players in a team debate:

I acknowledge that the current system needs looking at but the proposal of dividing points by the number of players in a team is flawed in my opinion for the following reasons.

1. Surely part of the role of the captain and team members is to encourage more and more players to join the team, which in many cases acts as their intro to APAT and in some cases "real" poker, so it"s all good. Under this proposal inexperienced players could make numbers a disadvantage.

2. The league is FUN and should remain as such whilst also being competitive with good added value. If I bust out very early three weeks on the bounce I will have directly negated good performances - I will feel like a bad team member. People might start to criticise poorly performing players.

3. If you have 50 runners, then 24th could be viewed as a positive result as it"s better than the average. This could encourage insanely nitty play and games would be ending sometime on Tuesday.

I acknowledge that I am saying all of this from the point of view of playing for one of the most populated teams, but that links back to point one. At Luton we have been actively recruiting and some of the new players in turn bought their friends along - our fun and friendly live game recently has also done us no harm either - and IMO THAT"s what APAT is about

Finally, it"s not all about quantity! We"ve got some quality too you know  8)
@jpround on Twitter
Views are my own
"Do not protect yourself by a fence, but rather by your friends" Czech Proverb
"Where you find beer, you find good life" Another Czech Proverb

pokerpops

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #142 on: November 19, 2010, 13:04:59 PM »

That"s a non sequitur.  I don"t think it"s a matter of it being broken, it"s about improving it and striving for the best tour possible, that"s the purpose of this thread. Whether the hike is progress to that end or not remains to be seen.  Something being OK as it is is not an argument for not trying to improve it.

Sometimes the effect of trying to improve something that was pretty darned good to start with is errrmmm not good...

Just an old bloke living the dream

Proud to be an APAT Forum Team member 2013
Prouder still of being part of the Raise for Jack team, Silver medalists 2019

thinsy147

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Gold Member
  • I can play better....... I never have, but I can!!
    • HendonMob Database
« Reply #143 on: November 19, 2010, 13:06:16 PM »
The difference between £75 buy-in and £100 buy-in isn"t really a massive amount and to be honest wont make a massive difference to the prizes for making it in the money unless your fortunate enough to make the final three...

For me I"d rather see my £300 bank-roll see me seated at four tournies @ £75 rather than three tournies @ £100

I"ve been fortunate enough to win a medal and take home a nice stash of cash (blantent brag  ;D ) but I turn up and play because I enjoy the game, the structure, the value and the company. Four games is better than three!!!

Therefore, my opinion is stick to £75 (the worlds @ £100 is ok. A World Championship should have a bit more!)
(Luton 2010 Bronze Medal Winner)
(Online 2020 Silver Medal Winner)

GOLD MEDAL COMING IN 2030

George2Loose

• Platinum Member
« Reply #144 on: November 19, 2010, 14:33:14 PM »
APAT has always been over subscribed from day dot but it hasn"t stopped it making adjustments and tweaks to make the tour better.

This "if it ain"t broke don"t fix it" argument is pretty poor imo
Follow me on twitter:  gb2loose

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #145 on: November 19, 2010, 14:39:20 PM »

This "if it ain"t broke don"t fix it" argument is pretty poor imo

I was referring specifically to the debate further up this thread about whether the buy in should stay at £75, or move to a higher buy in to attract a different player market..... my point is that part of the tour"s popularity is the affordability. If it were failing to make the numbers, then targeting a different market by adjusting the buy in might be appropriate....... but as it stands, there simply is no need to change this aspect.

RiverAsUsual

• Silver Member
« Reply #146 on: November 19, 2010, 15:57:52 PM »

Some points relating to the online league / number of players in a team debate:

I acknowledge that the current system needs looking at but the proposal of dividing points by the number of players in a team is flawed in my opinion for the following reasons.

1. Surely part of the role of the captain and team members is to encourage more and more players to join the team, which in many cases acts as their intro to APAT and in some cases "real" poker, so it"s all good. Under this proposal inexperienced players could make numbers a disadvantage.
2. The league is FUN and should remain as such whilst also being competitive with good added value. If I bust out very early three weeks on the bounce I will have directly negated good performances - I will feel like a bad team member. People might start to criticise poorly performing players.

3. If you have 50 runners, then 24th could be viewed as a positive result as it"s better than the average. This could encourage insanely nitty play and games would be ending sometime on Tuesday.

I acknowledge that I am saying all of this from the point of view of playing for one of the most populated teams, but that links back to point one. At Luton we have been actively recruiting and some of the new players in turn bought their friends along - our fun and friendly live game recently has also done us no harm either - and IMO THAT"s what APAT is about

Finally, it"s not all about quantity! We"ve got some quality too you know  8)

This seems to assume that you would be recruiting a disproprtionate amount of inexperienced players to that of other teams, but even then you"d be investing in the future for your team. Important Teams must not be allowed to refuse nor dissuade any players from joining or playing for their team.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 16:00:00 PM by RiverAsUsual »
2010 World Champion PotLimit Omaha Online - Gold Medal
2010 Irish PLO - Silver medal
2009 Team England - Bronze medal

plus some others

Claw75

• Silver Member
« Reply #147 on: November 19, 2010, 16:43:44 PM »

Claire, it"s like the January Sales... the more you spend, the more you save! I would have that as woman you would understand this concept... just basic economics really.

i"m not a normal woman though am I?  I"m a beer-drinking, fag-smoking, junk food-eating, foul-mouthed geezerbird.  innit.

Foggy

• Gold Member
« Reply #148 on: November 19, 2010, 16:46:17 PM »

Claire, it"s like the January Sales... the more you spend, the more you save! I would have that as woman you would understand this concept... just basic economics really.

i"m not a normal woman though am I?  I"m a beer-drinking, fag-smoking, junk food-eating, foul-mouthed geezerbird.  innit.

LOLOLOLOLOL

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #149 on: November 19, 2010, 17:17:11 PM »

PMSL!!!