Author Topic: APAT Season 5: Discussion  (Read 276412 times)

PHIL_TC

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
Re: S5 - APAT Season 5 - Discussion
« Reply #225 on: January 10, 2011, 20:32:38 PM »
As I know Leigh likes his spreadsheets (pivot tables FTW) can we change the League 1 scoring by individual points?

Means we don"t get relegated as well and instead of having 2 points to show all season we finish mid table.... :)

Walsall      378
Solent      289
Cardiff      203
Bristol      180
Liverpool      162
Stockton-On-Tees   145
Birmingham   133
Edinburgh   121
Belfast      84
Manchester   15

Actually as we"re no longer in Div 1 anymore.. I guess it doesnt matter  :"(

Seriously though.. the online league / scoring system needs a serious looking at for next season. Congrats to Walsall on taking down to the title. Well deserved IMO.
Winner of 1 gold, 2 silver & 1 bronze medals.
Proud member of team England '11 & '12 (Home Internationals) & team APAT  '11

Now pretty much poker retired, but available to help feed / sub the APAT server hamsters now & again.

http://pokerdb.thehendonmob.com/player.php?a=r&n=101148

MintTrav

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #226 on: January 10, 2011, 20:37:44 PM »

Surley a fair solution would be to have "A" & "B" teams from the home nations and probably a "C" team for England.

England already has a C team.
5th place - Portsmouth Snooker Club £10 rebuy

Liz Lieu borrowed my pen - 01/06/2013

Chipaccrual

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
    • APAT
« Reply #227 on: January 10, 2011, 20:42:04 PM »

As I know Leigh likes his spreadsheets (pivot tables FTW) can we change the League 1 scoring by individual points?

Means we don"t get relegated as well and instead of having 2 points to show all season we finish mid table.... :)

Walsall      378
Solent      289
Cardiff      203
Bristol      180
Liverpool      162
Stockton-On-Tees   145
Birmingham   133
Edinburgh   121
Belfast      84
Manchester   15

Seriously though.. the online league / scoring system needs a serious looking at for next season. Congrats to Walsall on taking down to the title. Well deserved IMO.

On my list

SirPercival

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #228 on: January 10, 2011, 20:44:11 PM »

Surley a fair solution would be to have "A" & "B" teams from the home nations and probably a "C" team for England.

I lol"ed  ;D

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #229 on: January 10, 2011, 20:59:16 PM »

Surley a fair solution would be to have "A" & "B" teams from the home nations and probably a "C" team for England. With more teams though, the format would need to be changed to enable teams to be eliminated through the comp.

Having more than one team per country is never fair when the "away" nations only get to put one team up.

The issue is selection of the "away" teams not the "home " teams...at least that"s the way I read it.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 10:59:03 AM by Paulie_D »
“Thor has Mjolnir but I have a banhammer. I think I win”

Marty719

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
    • Facebook
« Reply #230 on: January 10, 2011, 21:02:39 PM »

I lol"ed  ;D

And what makes the event all the better is having people coming from afar to play.  Wouldnt be as exciting without.
[ ] ECOAP 2012 Team Event Gold...

suzanne

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #231 on: January 10, 2011, 23:31:23 PM »

Walsall      378
Solent      289
Cardiff      203
Bristol      180
Liverpool      162
Stockton-On-Tees   145
Birmingham   133
Edinburgh   121
Belfast      84
Manchester   15

On my list

+1

Not because it would have improved Bristols score (it wouldnt have) it just seems fairer.

Delboy

• Silver Member
  • Its not about the Poker
« Reply #232 on: January 10, 2011, 23:45:13 PM »

Surley a fair solution would be to have "A" & "B" teams from the home nations and probably a "C" team for England. With more teams though, the format would need to be changed to enable teams to be eliminated through the comp.

Having more than one team per country is never fair when the "away" nations only get to out one team up.

The issue is selection of the "away" teams not the "home " teams...at least that"s the way I read it.

But it would be much more representative of APAT membership

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #233 on: January 11, 2011, 04:51:03 AM »

Having more than one team per country is never fair when the "away" nations only get to out one team up.

But it would be much more representative of APAT membership

Perhaps but that"s not the point of the competition.

By your criteria the Chinese could enter 5 teams for every event into the Olympics.

AAroddersAA

• Platinum Member
« Reply #234 on: January 11, 2011, 09:38:04 AM »

Would be nice and also a fair solution that all members of the APAT community have a real chance to play for their country at the APAT European / World Championships. Specially out of UK / Ireland there isn"t a fair solution.

I was only thinking about this yesterday.

It"s a difficult one actually because in a way we have two sets of teams.  The UK based teams where the majority of APATers are from and then the mainland European teams, whcih heavily rely on APAT having a contact in each country.

Each set of teams have a very different method in which to select their teams.  I feel that the UK team captains have a certain responsibility to look at players in current APAT form etc, whereas due to the lack of APAT events that mainland European players play, it is more likely that the captains will select a group of friends/mates that will travel over together.

It"s a tough one to get the balance right, and the last thing we would ever want to happen is always have the same faces representing each country every year.  That would detract from what the event is about.

This is a good idea in a lot of ways and I"m sure a lot of people who agree with Del here.

Just to play devils advocate here though does this not take away something from the people who are selected for the national team? At the moment it is a huge honour to be asked to represent your national team and if there is another team as well it just would not be the same.

Being objective, I suppose you could give england a B team due to the high numbers of players from england. Wales and Scotland do not need B teams.
-----------------------------

Still trying to think of something amusing to write in this bit.

Curlarge

• Regional Captain
  • Platinum Member
  • I wish I was as good as someone better than me!
« Reply #235 on: January 11, 2011, 10:16:33 AM »
+1 on Achim being made captain of the 2011 German team. He puts in more miles (kilometres) than most and should be rewarded for his commitment to APAT.

I vote Achim G for German team captain for 2011

Top bloke

Cheers

Ian

NB
This man travels a long way for our tournies and doesn"t have much luck with planes  ;D
Suggest you allow at least 3 days to get to Nottingham though Achim based on your last experience!!!!
APAT Season 6 statistics
APAT Live Events 8, Attended 8, Final Tables 0, Cashes 0, Ranking Points 0, Having a word with myself 1.

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #236 on: January 11, 2011, 10:57:01 AM »

Would be nice and also a fair solution that all members of the APAT community have a real chance to play for their country at the APAT European / World Championships. Specially out of UK / Ireland there isn"t a fair solution.

I was only thinking about this yesterday.

It"s a difficult one actually because in a way we have two sets of teams.  The UK based teams where the majority of APATers are from and then the mainland European teams, whcih heavily rely on APAT having a contact in each country.

Each set of teams have a very different method in which to select their teams.  I feel that the UK team captains have a certain responsibility to look at players in current APAT form etc, whereas due to the lack of APAT events that mainland European players play, it is more likely that the captains will select a group of friends/mates that will travel over together.

It"s a tough one to get the balance right, and the last thing we would ever want to happen is always have the same faces representing each country every year.  That would detract from what the event is about.

This is a good idea in a lot of ways and I"m sure a lot of people who agree with Del here.

Just to play devils advocate here though does this not take away something from the people who are selected for the national team? At the moment it is a huge honour to be asked to represent your national team and if there is another team as well it just would not be the same.

Being objective, I suppose you could give england a B team due to the high numbers of players from england. Wales and Scotland do not need B teams.

The point is that it should be one country"s team v each other country"s team. By having more than one team per country (esp. the "host" country) you give that "host" an unfair advantage.

This is the same reasoning applied to the Forum Team Event like the one at the end of January. We don"t allow APAT to have more than one team...the same applies here.

The discussion was about the possible "unfairness" in the selection of the "away" nations teams...let"s try and keep it on track.

If we want to have a discussion about how the UK/England teams etc are selected then we can take that to another thread.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2011, 10:58:33 AM by Paulie_D »

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #237 on: January 11, 2011, 12:21:47 PM »

If we want to have a discussion about how the UK/England teams etc are selected then we can take that to another thread.

That doesn"t really make any sense

This is a thread about season 5, so anything relating to season 5 is relevant
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341

Paulie_D

• Administrator
  • Platinum Member
  • Travel Guru
« Reply #238 on: January 11, 2011, 13:10:13 PM »

True..of course, but I was just trying to separate the discussions...but, whatever.

Jon MW

• Global Moderator
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #239 on: January 11, 2011, 13:38:11 PM »

True..of course, but I was just trying to separate the discussions...but, whatever.

;D

The principle was good but I think after 15 pages it"s a bit late for that

;D
Jon "the British cowboy" Woodfield
2011 UK Team Championships: Black Belt Poker Team Captain  - - runners up - -
5 Star HORSE Classic - Razz 2007 Champion
2007 WSOP Razz 13/341