Author Topic: Hand Analysis Needed!  (Read 2730 times)

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Hand Analysis Needed!
« on: February 03, 2011, 20:22:38 PM »
So I played a hand in a live game last Sunday that has been bugging me. The standard of play wasn"t awful but a mixture of overtly agressive players and calling stations.

Blinds were at 100/200 with no ante and I was dealt in the big blind -   4c 4d

There were 5 limpers pre flop, the small blind also completed and I checked my option to see a flop of -  :as:  jd th
I checked and everyone else also checked. Pot - 1400

The turn came a  7s
I checked again and a woman in mid position made a bet of 200. This was called by a woman on the button and I made the call. Pot - 2000

The river came a  :3c:
The mid position lady again made a bet of 200, this was called by the woman on the button and I decided to make it 1500 to play.

I would like to explain my thinking once I get a few opinions. Would be interested to see how others would have played this...

Swinebag

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
Re: Hand Analysis Needed!
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 20:30:02 PM »
stack sizes please - makes a lot of difference.

You bluffed the river, based on the bet sizing of the villain? correct?

I might do this against one station but not two

but stack sizes will help you get better responses
Quote from: Chipaccrual
Rob, you are a genius.
Quote from: jacklevel06
You are a genius Rob  :D

LongshanksED

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2011, 20:33:24 PM »
I"m not raising preflop. If it"s a mix of aggressive and calling stations then post flop, unless you hit a 4 your in a world of trouble

I"m passively checking the flop too. OOP you just don"t know where you are

Folding turn no matter what

I can understand the the raise on the river as a bluff as you could have hit any piece of that flop but I"d imagine the player that bet 200 into 2000 has a strong hand and is wanting called and imagine they can beat 2 pair or a set which your kinda representing. I can see the river bettors cards being a flopped straight

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2011, 20:48:00 PM »
I can"t remember exact stack sizes but we were all deep, starting stacks of 15K chips and this was early in the tournament

AMRN

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2011, 21:17:33 PM »
against a bunch of passive stations, flat call pre, and check/fold if miss. Never betting again on any street if I don"t hit the set

samuel_9

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2011, 21:27:03 PM »

against a bunch of passive stations, flat call pre, and check/fold if miss. Never betting again on any street if I don"t hit the set
same here....... realy dont understand the bet on the river

mporter123

• Staker Licensed Player
  • Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2011, 22:26:16 PM »
Yup, I got a bit of stick at the table.

The hand played out that the mid position raiser insta folded. I thought I was in pretty good shape now but the button called after a bit of a dwell and showed  ah  9c

My thought process at the time was:-

Pre-Flop - Always checking here.. even a large raise is likely to find one caller that will invite others to come along
Flop - I gave up when I saw this flop, with so many limpers someone had to have a piece of it.

Turn - Another overcard to my pair.. such a small bet, one caller and I decided to call. This is clearly a bad call, bearing in mind at the time I didn"t have any particular plan for the river, I think I looked at the price and thought it was worth it.

River - Facing a very small bet and a call... I was trying to put the two players on hands. Esentially I didn"t think anybody had an Ace or they would have bet the flop on a draw heavy board. I was only worried about the original raiser, thought she was probably weak and made the raise hoping to make someone fold a ten or a jack.

I think this is a real leak when I play live poker - overplaying hands. I think in this hand I wasn"t telling a consistant story so the bluff didnt really make any sense. However not sure if this could have worked if my reads were correct and there was no ace out there. hmm

noble1

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2011, 02:33:15 AM »
its good that your thinking ranges and that your trying to put opponents on ranges etc, its good that your posting and questioning yourself etc... please don"t stop doing this, in fact u should apply it always...
here in this hand u are just making the mistake of not dumbing down, they"re loose passive / stations who wont fold, they will play weird lines etc..
you"ll lose some big pots cos the bad players will call any draw any part of a flop and then out-draw u, even though u pot bet the flop,the turn etc... they are not concerned what u may or may not have, they have a hand end of story and they will call... its bloody frustrating playing loose players like this but the good news is u will win some bloody big pots...
so dumb down and try not to bluff, if u do then try to do it based on a read, try have an idea of how villains play before attempting anything which lets face it, its to advanced for them to understand what u are repping etc, they either can't understand at that level or they just can't fold even though they know that calling is bad....
ABC sir, rarely bluff and value bet when u have it, when these type of loose passive opponents start betting big or they re-raise u, then fold, even top pair hands, hell even fold overpairs when they re-raise, u only have 1 pair...
keep thinking about your range and your opponent"s range, think about all your options and determine which is the best, this is how you improve... just know and learn when to apply it, as u move up in stakes and u play better players then all this learning new concepts and thinking ranges etc as u do now WILL eventually come in handy...

accept that the rules are different PLAYING THESE TYPE OF PLAYERS, adjust.....
« Last Edit: February 04, 2011, 02:39:12 AM by noble1 »